There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which is the better hit?

Which is the better hit?

Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Sad post really. The media and the NFL has kinda glorified players hurting players but they act like they should care. In a way its kinda sickening. I say this because I'm a coach and a few years back my defense targeted our opponents FB to neutralize their 1000 yd back. Our strategy was to stand him up and fill the HB's holes as he was a North-South runner. The result was the young man went to the ER the following morning because he was urinating blood. Initially I bragged about what my players had done but reflection I was upset with myself for feeling satisfied with even unintentionally hurting the player. Afterall he was someone's son. I thought about how I would feel if it was my son?

I appreciate a great defense and I enjoy the hits because it is part of the game that cannot be removed. Football is a very violent game and that is why many of us appreciate it. Like the Roman gladiators of old, we enjoy watching our players inflict punishment. But, do you really want to relish in the fact that the other player was hurt on the play?

All three of those hits were perfectly legal. Our players don't need to cheat to lay you out.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by SanFranMan:
Voted for Willis. I thought Smith died.

especially after smith just went limp i can remember thinking oh ish this aint gonna be good

I seriously thought he might have died
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Whitner, for its significance.

This

The Patrick Willis hit was brutal and I wanted to vote for it, but Whitners hit left him out cold and is obviously freshest in my memory so it has to be his.
Originally posted by BayArea:
The Patrick Willis hit was brutal and I wanted to vote for it, but Whitners hit left him out cold and is obviously freshest in my memory so it has to be his.

This. I mean, I love the Willis hit... but I voted Whitner because it set the tone for the greatest playoff game I've ever watched (at least to be old enough to truly appreciate).
I voted Whitner because of the importance of that hit in us winning that game. But if I was voting on pure awesomeness I have to go with Goldsons, Great instincts, perfect timing and had that OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO factor. LOVE THIS D!
I thought Patrick killed Smith, so he gets my vote.
Sad post really. The media and the NFL has kinda glorified players hurting players but they act like they should care. In a way its kinda sickening. I say this because I'm a coach and a few years back my defense targeted our opponents FB to neutralize their 1000 yd back. Our strategy was to stand him up and fill the HB's holes as he was a North-South runner. The result was the young man went to the ER the following morning because he was urinating blood. Initially I bragged about what my players had done but reflection I was upset with myself for feeling satisfied with even unintentionally hurting the player. Afterall he was someone's son. I thought about how I would feel if it was my son?

I appreciate a great defense and I enjoy the hits because it is part of the game that cannot be removed. Football is a very violent game and that is why many of us appreciate it. Like the Roman gladiators of old, we enjoy watching our players inflict punishment. But, do you really want to relish in the fact that the other player was hurt on the play?
High insight is 20/20; at the time I felt bad for Thomas. After listening to the Greg Williams rant, and (re-watching the game last night), I think THAT hit sent an immediate message to the Saints entire team "Oh, sh!t, WE didn't account for their defense" I would have given a years salary to see the look on Greg Williams face when he saw that hit. I love Pierre-Thomas, and was really hoping the Niners would land him - but Hey it's the NFL and you have to admit 95% of the fans really dig the violence!
[ Edited by colostarr on Apr 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM ]

Greg Williams on the Donte Whitner hit!~
[ Edited by colostarr on Apr 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM ]
Sorry - but I removed this post!
[ Edited by colostarr on Apr 7, 2012 at 12:43 AM ]
Gotta go with Goldson if we are just talking about the sheer quality of the hit....

You just don't hear an entire stadium gasp like that during a 34-3 game very often. I savor damn near every play of that Tampa game aside from the Gore fumble and Morgan injury of course. 48-3... just like ol' times...

Yes
Greatest hit in the history of mankind.

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Greatest hit in the history of mankind.

lol, alex smith.

IMHO, I think Patrick Willis' hit was the best one and anyone else that says otherwise is lying. HOWEVER, the Whitner one was the most important hit because it was a playoff game and the Saints were oooh so close to scoring a touchdown.