Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Sad post really. The media and the NFL has kinda glorified players hurting players but they act like they should care. In a way its kinda sickening. I say this because I'm a coach and a few years back my defense targeted our opponents FB to neutralize their 1000 yd back. Our strategy was to stand him up and fill the HB's holes as he was a North-South runner. The result was the young man went to the ER the following morning because he was urinating blood. Initially I bragged about what my players had done but reflection I was upset with myself for feeling satisfied with even unintentionally hurting the player. Afterall he was someone's son. I thought about how I would feel if it was my son?
I appreciate a great defense and I enjoy the hits because it is part of the game that cannot be removed. Football is a very violent game and that is why many of us appreciate it. Like the Roman gladiators of old, we enjoy watching our players inflict punishment. But, do you really want to relish in the fact that the other player was hurt on the play?
All three of those hits were perfectly legal. Our players don't need to cheat to lay you out.
i can remember thinking oh ish this aint gonna be good

