LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Solution to our Right Guard Problem: Move Anthony Davis to Guard and Sign/Draft a Tackle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Then we'd be the first team after to draft 2 OGs in the top 20. Bad idea. You can get a OG later in the draft.
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
This guy is it!!!

He reportedly weighed 396 when he signed the tender and had to lose a considerable amount of weight to play.Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/08/04/20110804arizona-cardinals-deuce-lutui.html#ixzz1qM1C2GXl

Sign Lutui and we have a road grader your years to come.

Nevermind. Nice follow up post. But I disagree. 49ers need a big athletic guard that can pull. Not fat ass Lutui.

We'll from what I gathered, he lost some weight, if you want to upgrade our run offense, put a massive guy like Deuce and you'll see that more than two people would have to move him, to get to the running back. This guy is a wall also on passing downs - the more Samoan on our team the better! I wish we get Mike U's brother this coming draft.
This guy is it!!!

He reportedly weighed 396 when he signed the tender and had to lose a considerable amount of weight to play.Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/08/04/20110804arizona-cardinals-deuce-lutui.html#ixzz1qM1C2GXl

Nevermind. Nice follow up post. But I disagree. 49ers need a big athletic guard that can pull. Not fat ass Lutui.

We'll from what I gathered, he lost some weight, if you want to upgrade our run offense, put a massive guy like Deuce and you'll see that more than two people would have to move him, to get to the running back. This guy is a wall also on passing downs - the more Samoan on our team the better! I wish we get Mike U's brother this coming draft.

A guy Lutui's size would be a liability in the passing game. He is too big and not athletic enough to handle a pass rush. 49ers O line is good in the run game already. Their focus should be giving Alex a little more time and picking up blitzes more productivly.
I think it is a horrible idea. So it's not enough that he did not have ANY holding penalties last year, not a single one. Chew on that for a bit. He's not perfect and does whiff. He's inconsistent as Vernon was inconsistent with his hands. His technique will improve with more practice especially this year.

Whether you guys agree or like it or not, he's staying at RT. He improved dramatically with just one shortened offseason. Now, he will have a full one to work with both OL coaches to hone in his craft. He and Iupati are joined at the hip.

He will be OK.
This guy is it!!!

Lutui and Iupati on the same line?

Originally posted by NinerGold39:
This guy is it!!!

Lutui and Iupati on the same line?

If Lutui is soo great why did the Cards let him walk and sign Snyder to a long term contract? Downgrade/Pass

49ers let Snyder go because Cards overpaid and 9ers must be happy with what they saw in Kilgore. Kilgore>Lutui hopefully.
You can't take a top 15 first round tackle and move him to guard! I think the pay structure would get screwed up as gaurds don't get paid as much as tackles.
Not to mention Davis' skill set seems to be at tackle (quick feet, athletic).
Originally posted by glorydayz:
You can't take a top 15 first round tackle and move him to guard! I think the pay structure would get screwed up as gaurds don't get paid as much as tackles.
Not to mention Davis' skill set seems to be at tackle (quick feet, athletic).

Not to mention we gave up a fourth rounder to trade up to get him.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by matt49er:
makes no sense. Davis played awesome last year, especially at the end. He was a pro bowl alternate. He's like 22 years old, he has a very bright future and should def be kept at RT.

He was?

lol no he wasnt. we had ALOT of alternates, but Davis wasnt one of them. our alternates were NaVorro Bowman, Ahmad Brooks, Blake Costanzo, Vernon Davis, Ted Ginn Jr., Jonathan Goodwin, Mike Iupati, Ray McDonald, Bruce Miller and Donte Whitner.

Didn't think so. Thanks for verifying.
"In particular, there are two young OG's that the Buffalo Bills currently have on a RFA tender. They are Kraig Urbik and Chad Rinehart. Both are younger guys, at 26 years old, but both are incredibly underrated and just coming into their primes.According to our friends at Pro Football Focus (@ProFootballFocus for you twitter heads), both Urbik and Rinehart were among the top 10 guards (with at least 200 snaps) in pass blocking efficiency (FYI new center Scott Wells was 3rd among C's). In fact, Urbik ranked #1 and Rinehart #4. Combined, Urbik and Rinehart allowed only 12 pressures in 785 snaps. That information can be found here.I spoke a bit with Pro Football Focus today about the OG's, and was informed that it would take a 3rd rounder for either guard. Buffalo may not be able to keep both of them."

Can someone please explain to me why we are not going after a RFA to fill this need?? Thanks.

Originally posted by jedi9er:
"In particular, there are two young OG's that the Buffalo Bills currently have on a RFA tender. They are Kraig Urbik and Chad Rinehart. Both are younger guys, at 26 years old, but both are incredibly underrated and just coming into their primes.According to our friends at Pro Football Focus (@ProFootballFocus for you twitter heads), both Urbik and Rinehart were among the top 10 guards (with at least 200 snaps) in pass blocking efficiency (FYI new center Scott Wells was 3rd among C's). In fact, Urbik ranked #1 and Rinehart #4. Combined, Urbik and Rinehart allowed only 12 pressures in 785 snaps. That information can be found here.I spoke a bit with Pro Football Focus today about the OG's, and was informed that it would take a 3rd rounder for either guard. Buffalo may not be able to keep both of them."

Can someone please explain to me why we are not going after a RFA to fill this need?? Thanks.

Because it would also take a big contract that the Bills wouldn't be able to match. 49ers don't have the cap space left this year to make that offer and they prob want to keep their 3rd round pick.
Originally posted by jedi9er:

Because it would also take a big contract that the Bills wouldn't be able to match. 49ers don't have the cap space left this year to make that offer and they prob want to keep their 3rd round pick.

Right. Got it. Thanks.
This guy is it!!!

you dont want him
Whoa hay another Nick Bradley thread.
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Berserker52:
Sooooo, the solution to fixing our right guard problem is to create a right tackle problem? I don't agree with this.

Guards are typically not hard to find in the mid-late rounds and Trent just drafted one last year. In fact he moved up to select him, I don't think he's given up on him after just one year.

Kilgore will start, he's young and comes cheap and I trust Trent that he's a solid player otherwise he wouldn't have moved up to select him. They have to save money some where so they can afford to keep all their key players on defense. Plus Bowman is a FA next year, he might command BIG money.
This.
I just don't understand why people are sleeping on Kilgore. I expect to see the fruits of JH developmental skills with Kilgore and think he'll be the starter at G.

The reason for sleeping on Kilgore is because most have not seen him play. I have faith that Baalke has an eye for skill and talent, but a plan B in case he doesn't work is always good. Kilgore can't be the only option to replace Synder......
True. But that don't mean he can't either. The coaching staff and his teammates know. This is what we do know:

1. Baalke and JH moved up to get Kilgore and since then has been in development.
2. From what we can tell the front office basically let Adam Snyder walk with no attempt to retain him. Now we don't know what went on behind closed doors obviously, but it appears that way.
3. We are shopping for a bargain, presumably to compete with Kilgore.

Now, from what we do know it's entirely possible (if not probable) to conclude that Baalke and JH feel really good about Kilgore's development. And, thus, going into the upcoming season with him as the starter, with a vet FA or mid/late round draft pick to push him, isn't that much of a stretch for fans here to consider. In that vain, I'm inclined to defer to the developmental wisdom of the coaching staff and think of him as the starter going into training camp. The fact that we as fans haven't seen enough of him to consider him a starter means nothing.
Share 49ersWebzone