LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Solution to our Right Guard Problem: Move Anthony Davis to Guard and Sign/Draft a Tackle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Lets see...

there has been no mention of the 49ers ever looking to move AD to guard.

Guards are easier to acquire.

AD improved last year

This will be Davis's first year in the same offensive system as the year before.
LOL, Davis was starting games in the NFL before he could legally drink and people are talking about giving up on him at RT

The only move Anthony Davis would ever make is to LT if/when Staley leaves who is 5 years older.
makes no sense. Davis played awesome last year, especially at the end. He was a pro bowl alternate. He's like 22 years old, he has a very bright future and should def be kept at RT.
You guys just have the complete inability to understand the OP!

Originally posted by matt49er:
makes no sense. Davis played awesome last year, especially at the end. He was a pro bowl alternate. He's like 22 years old, he has a very bright future and should def be kept at RT.

He was?
There aren't any free agent right tackles that I would take over Davis right now.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by matt49er:

He was?

lol no he wasnt. we had ALOT of alternates, but Davis wasnt one of them. our alternates were NaVorro Bowman, Ahmad Brooks, Blake Costanzo, Vernon Davis, Ted Ginn Jr., Jonathan Goodwin, Mike Iupati, Ray McDonald, Bruce Miller and Donte Whitner.
a solid RT is more important than a solid RG
Guys......I know we are nervous about the right guard position. We know that the line struggled with Chilo in the line up and we lost Adam Synder, but GIVE BAALKE AND HARBAUGH credit.

You think with the season we had that we would let Synder go, if Kilgore wasn't ready? I think about Takeo Spikes last year when he got signed by San Diego, I was nervous about Bowman, but look how he did.

Kilgore was a stud in college. He has played tackle and guard. He plays with a mean streak and he's more mobile than Synder.

So TRUST what the niners are doing.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89231&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG
sorry but i don't want boone starting

Davis was known for his athleticism when he came out of college if I remember correctly, now you want to move him inside?
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Davis was known for his athleticism when he came out of college if I remember correctly, now you want to move him inside?

Agreed. I'm sure it was part hyperbole, but Mayock commented after we made the pick that Davis was one of the most physically gifted OT's he'd seen in a quite a while and so long as his work ethic was OK, all he needed was development and to grow into his body. He's still a kid.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Tackles are more expensive. You would always rather need to fill a G position than a T. We moved up to 11th overall to take Davis. Moving him to G now would be saying we made a big mistake reaching. You have to give him another 1-2 seasons to get better at T before you essentially throw in the developmental white flag. Besides, hes not built to play G. Hes tall and more athletic. G are more squat and bulky.

Davis is a singletary pick and was a reach even for right tackle. All I'm saying is that if a guy like Martin falls to #30, maybe Davis should move to G.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
You guys just have the complete inability to understand the OP!

Thank you. It wasn't a knock on AD specifically. It was exploring the idea of moving him to Guard and putting a tackle in his place to make the OL better overall.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Terrible idea.

Davis has improved leaps and bounds over the last two years. I expect him to continue that this year and be dominant at RT.

Originally posted by Pomoj:
This is a horrible idea.

Davis has been playing great at RT

Originally posted by Berserker52:
Sooooo, the solution to fixing our right guard problem is to create a right tackle problem? I don't agree with this.

Guards are typically not hard to find in the mid-late rounds and Trent just drafted one last year. In fact he moved up to select him, I don't think he's given up on him after just one year.

Kilgore will start, he's young and comes cheap and I trust Trent that he's a solid player otherwise he wouldn't have moved up to select him. They have to save money some where so they can afford to keep all their key players on defense. Plus Bowman is a FA next year, he might command BIG money.

Originally posted by miked1978:
I thought Davis improved from his rookie year and I can see him continuing his improvement.

Plus you can find good quality guards in the middle rounds of the draft. I think the team is sold on Kilgore playing guard and that would explaint he lack of interest in signing a free agent thus far.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Davis should stay where he is and benefit from a full offseason of coaching. Not the time to make a switch.

Originally posted by okdkid:
Davis is a solid RT. No complaints there.

Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Not really a supporter of this idea. Like the other distinguished members have already suggested, why solve a RG problem and create a RT problem. I have no worries we will find an improvement over Snyder in FA, depth chart or the draft.

Originally posted by 228niner:
leave him at rt and draft a guard/sign guard to compete with kilgore

Originally posted by captain_planet:
We're still coming up with swap positions on our offensive line threads?

Guuuuuuys. Come on.

These!
Share 49ersWebzone