LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Solution to our Right Guard Problem: Move Anthony Davis to Guard and Sign/Draft a Tackle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by nickbradley:
What are everyone's thoughts on this idea? Davis was a Guard in High School and clearly doesn't have the footwork to keep up with quality pass-rushers on the right side. But he would make a helluva right guard and we would sign one of the available right tackles still on the market, draft a tackle, or (shoot) even start Boone.

What makes you think he does not have the footwork to be a tackle?

One of his strengths coming out of college was his footwork.

Davis' problem his rookie year was a lack of strength. He got bull-rushed by guys stronger them himself. Last off-season he increased his strength on his own and did much better against power rusher. His early season last year was a learning time but he improved markedly as the year went on. I see no reason to move him unless some great value dropped to the 49ers in the draft and I do not see a scenario where that will happen.

As it stands, it seems quite clear that the the RG job is Kilgore's to lose unless someone like Konz drops to them at 30. In that case, Konz or Kilgore the winner of the competition would be the starting guard and the loser would backup Goodwin or hopefully beat him out for the starting job.

I agree that interior OL play needs to get better but I don't see moving AD as the best way to to that, as of now.
Originally posted by Pomoj:
This is a horrible idea.

Davis has been playing great at RT

This.
plus what team drafts 2 guards in the top 11. and trades up to take one early in the 1st at that.
how many holding calls did Davis give up last year? how many sacks? i say he played great for a 2nd year player
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I thought Davis really improved as the season progressed. I look forward to him being a very good RT with a full training camp.

I don't feel a sense of urgency from Baalke/JH for the RG position like I did in WR. They moved quickly to improve that position.

Maybe they feel Kilgore has what it takes to take over?

As far as Davis moving to RG, I agree w/you that he'd probably be excellent. BUT we have Boone to play RT and he already know the offense so why go after someone when we don't have to. Also, he played very well when Staley went out.

If Kilgore is the "Guy", we still need a swing type player or 2 like Snyder was to fill in and play at good level,

Agreed. I think we take a swing type G/C in rouds 4-7.

We have Boone and Pearson for our backup tackle spots.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Berserker52:
Sooooo, the solution to fixing our right guard problem is to create a right tackle problem? I don't agree with this.

Guards are typically not hard to find in the mid-late rounds and Trent just drafted one last year. In fact he moved up to select him, I don't think he's given up on him after just one year.

Kilgore will start, he's young and comes cheap and I trust Trent that he's a solid player otherwise he wouldn't have moved up to select him. They have to save money some where so they can afford to keep all their key players on defense. Plus Bowman is a FA next year, he might command BIG money.
This.
I just don't understand why people are sleeping on Kilgore. I expect to see the fruits of JH developmental skills with Kilgore and think he'll be the starter at G.

The reason for sleeping on Kilgore is because most have not seen him play. I have faith that Baalke has an eye for skill and talent, but a plan B in case he doesn't work is always good. Kilgore can't be the only option to replace Synder......
This isn't likely. I think we have more confidence in our pick from last year, Daniel Kilgore than we are giving the front office credit for. We moved up to get him. We made ZERO attempt to sign snyder and are going to bargain shop for a FA guard. We will likely draft a guy as the first priority and address the FA guard after the draft if we don't like what we get. We might try to trade up for a guy in the first round. We will definately get a guard at some point in the draft.
where in the world do people think switching players' positions will help the problem?
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Davis is only 22 and will have only his second off season to prepare for an NFL YEAR. I have seen flashes of dominace from him, other times I have seen confusion against stunts and blitzes, but the potential is great.
i think inconsistent RG play is what makes Davis look worse than he really is. The dude is super young and getting better everyday. If we have a more steady player at RG i think we will see the real Davis which is a pretty solid player.
No
This thread is unneccesary. We all know that Kilgore is such an elite guard that we dont even need a RT. Cut Davis and save the cap space.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
no need for that. I think any possible combonation of kilgore, a high drafted rookie and maybe a vet like davis can improve that area.davis is better now at his position than what he was a year ago and he will be better in 6 months than what he is now.Plus he was the coaches bodygaurd in detroit so you gotta love him
1. Move Vernon Davis to Guard

2. Make Kaepernick to Tight End

3. Collect Lombardi trophies
Originally posted by nickbradley:
What are everyone's thoughts on this idea? Davis was a Guard in High School and clearly doesn't have the footwork to keep up with quality pass-rushers on the right side. But he would make a helluva right guard and we would sign one of the available right tackles still on the market, draft a tackle, or (shoot) even start Boone.

Tackles are more expensive. You would always rather need to fill a G position than a T. We moved up to 11th overall to take Davis. Moving him to G now would be saying we made a big mistake reaching. You have to give him another 1-2 seasons to get better at T before you essentially throw in the developmental white flag. Besides, hes not built to play G. Hes tall and more athletic. G are more squat and bulky.
um just let the coach coach and let the fans make fun of the jets for grab tebow
Lets see...

there has been no mention of the 49ers ever looking to move AD to guard.

Guards are easier to acquire.

AD improved last year

This will be Davis's first year in the same offensive system as the year before.
Share 49ersWebzone