There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

4 QBs on roster,will one be traded?

Originally posted by HearstFan:
I'm sick of hearing this assumption at CK is the QB of the future just because we traded up to get him.

1 we have no idea how the coaches are evaluating him. they may have concluded he is gifted physically, but isn't comprehending NFL defenses and reads. We just don't know. Maybe that's why they needed to get Johnson because they realize that even with another offseason he's unlikely to be ready even as a back-up.

2 the reason we traded up was the other QBs were flying off the board - ponder and dalton were thought to be available in the second and were gone, so CK was the last available decent QB so we had to trade up to get someone on the roster.

Yes we not know about CK, but it works both ways, he could be comprehending and doing fine but just needs a chance. Who would have thought Brady would replace Bledsoe. Brady in his rookie season was only 1-3 and six yards in a regular season game and was a sixth rounder.

As for the other QBs, do you've proof that the niners wanted Dalton before Kaep? It could be that Kaep is who they wanted. Baalke has never stated public that they had Dalton rated before Kaep or any QBs before or after the draft. Although I do agree they wanted to move up (as high as the first to get one of the QBs.) Dalton, Ponder, Locker, was projected 1-2 round by some.

The only QB JH made a glowing public statement about and we thought he was just talking at first- was Cam Newton, probably because he knew wasn't going to get him anyway.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Why not just keep 4 QB's, its been done before??

Really think this is likely, even if it meansTolzien in on the PS. These guys are all young and talented and will push each other. Both CK and Johnson can be used in creative ways due to speed and overall running/passing ability.
Originally posted by kodiak9er:
im still not giving up on being the first CK hater.........he did some good things here in reno, but when the hometown boy goes to my beloved niners, it changes everything. and since i know hes not a good QB, i hate the fact that hes on this team and people think "he is the future". any other team and i would have been happy for him. i go to the same school as the guy, i have seson tix to the wolfpack every year, ive seen him in person and watched him play. i know people say "oh JH and TB are the pros and youre just some dude writing on a forum" "they traded up to get him so they must see something in him"......well what about all the other teams that took QBs 1st overall and it didnt work out. they thought that guy could be good. or traded up to get guys and they were wrong? the guys who drafted them were the pros and got paid to do that too. just because some dude in a FO thinks someone is good doesnt mean, they are right and im wrong, cuz im some scrub on the internet. he has all the time in the world to prove me wrong, but i dont think that is going to happen, and would not be happy or comfortable with him starting for my team.

In terms of measurables, I think CK is an intriguing prospect for Harbaugh. He's got a great, accurate arm, he's quick and can use his feet to both extend a play and keep the defense honest, and they share the same level of passion for the game. I also think he has the intelligence to understand and execute Jim's game plan. Without a preseason last year, CK (and most of the team, frankly) didn't understand their assignments early on and Kaep himself was surprised, I believe, at the speed of the pro game. While the jury's still out until he produces on the field, I'm pretty sure JH will know what he's got after a full training camp and set of preseason games.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Mar 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Why not just keep 4 QB's, its been done before??

Really think this is likely, even if it meansTolzien in on the PS. These guys are all young and talented and will push each other. Both CK and Johnson can be used in creative ways due to speed and overall running/passing ability.

With Smith and Johnson both having short term contracts, I think it would be a good idea to keep 4, but that's only if Tolzien lights it up in Preseason. But as much as I don't like that we drafted Kaepernick, I feel that the Josh Johnson signing was very unnecessary.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
With Smith and Johnson both having short term contracts, I think it would be a good idea to keep 4, but that's only if Tolzien lights it up in Preseason. But as much as I don't like that we drafted Kaepernick, I feel that the Josh Johnson signing was very unnecessary.

i think it was if only to have a vet behind alex, no matter what some want to believe, ck was not ready to play last year and had alex got hurt we would have been screwed. The niners did not want to tempt fate again as they must think ck or scott t is not ready. I did not want johnson to be brought in here had we lost alex cuz i do not think he can take a team on his back for the long haul but this is a good fit for him.a vet backup who can manage things for a few games. If alex gets hurt and misses an entire season, that is when i worry

Makes me wonder what JH really thinks of each of them but Johnson may just be a case of a coach wanting a former favorite player to get a chance in a good training situation. Seems like there are so few teams really teaching the QB position from the ground up.

With no RG yet they may need all four of these guys.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
figured this thread makes the most sense for this article.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/25/SP6M1NPSC6.DTL

Naturally, Theder, like a proud father, is a bit biased when it comes to his guys.

Which one, Johnson or Kaepernick, will win the battle to be the Niners' backup? Theder thinks both are capable of beating out Alex Smith for the starting job.

"I think both of them could, yes," Theder said. "I think they're both very talented - much more talented than Alex. I'm an Alex Smith fan. I just think Colin and Josh are both very, very talented kids."
Originally posted by sfout:

Naturally, Theder, like a proud father, is a bit biased when it comes to his guys.

Which one, Johnson or Kaepernick, will win the battle to be the Niners' backup? Theder thinks both are capable of beating out Alex Smith for the starting job.

"I think both of them could, yes," Theder said. "I think they're both very talented - much more talented than Alex. I'm an Alex Smith fan. I just think Colin and Josh are both very, very talented kids."

What would Theder know about these quarterbacks?

He's only tutored, mentored, and taught both kids how to play quarterback since high school. He gives the nod to Kaepernick for work ethic, so obviously that means he will be traded at first opportunity. Quarterbacks with a high work ethic, intelligence, and talent are always hot commodities on the trade block.

Since Kaepernick wasn't able to take the starting job from Smith after five weeks of NFL practice, I think that proves he has fallen out of favor with the coaches and is most definitely not the quarterback of the future, despite what so-called "quarterback guru's" have to say.
Can't beat out a seven year veteran after five weeks of practice? It's time to move on folks.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Mar 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

He's only tutored, mentored, and taught both kids how to play quarterback since high school. He gives the nod to Kaepernick for work ethic, so obviously that means he will be traded at first opportunity. Quarterbacks with a high work ethic, intelligence, and talent are always hot commodities on the trade block.

Since Kaepernick wasn't able to take the starting job from Smith after five weeks of NFL practice, I think that proves he has fallen out of favor with the coaches and is most definitely not the quarterback of the future, despite what so-called "quarterback guru's" have to say.
Can't beat out a seven year veteran after five weeks of practice? It's time to move on folks.

Cut him...and Williams...and Walker...and Smith...and Gore...and...

That's it in a nutshell.

Hey, there are veteran posters on the WZ who have stated categorically that he isn't ready. So who needs training camp 2012 to prove otherwise? We already know.

Also, who cares that his roommate (B. Miller?) said that he showed remarkable progress through the 2011 season . . . to the point where he went from a player with great athletic skills playing at the QB position, to a QB who happened to also have great athelitic skills (hope I paraphrased the message he was trying to get across)? CK in camp is only going to take snaps away from the other guys. What a waste.
Let's move on!
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Quote:

That's it in a nutshell.

Hey, there are veteran posters on the WZ who have stated categorically that he isn't ready. So who needs training camp 2012 to prove otherwise? We already know.

Also, who cares that his roommate (B. Miller?) said that he showed remarkable progress through the 2011 season . . . to the point where he went from a player with great athletic skills playing at the QB position, to a QB who happened to also have great athelitic skills (hope I paraphrased the message he was trying to get across)? CK in camp is only going to take snaps away from the other guys. What a waste.
Let's move on!

Neither of you have seen much of JJ or have seen CK in a regular season game. So instead of posting like this, how about doing what most people are suggesting, wait until camp and the pre-seasons?
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
one would get released.

yep tolzien
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Neither of you have seen much of JJ or have seen CK in a regular season game. So instead of posting like this, how about doing what most people are suggesting, wait until camp and the pre-seasons?
I am one of the vetern posters that has fallen into the category of knowing for sure(i can not spell catetgoritcally) that ck is not ready. You are right i have no crystal ball, only my 1969 ouiji board,(which my sister got to work all by herself!)I look forward to camps and pre season which will tell all but you gotta know ck is better now as compared to a year ago at this time and he will be better 7 months from now
Tolzien still has PS eligibility and that is where he will end up. However, other teams will have a chance to claim him and sign him off our PS. That is a risk the Niners will have to take.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Mar 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM ]
I can't see us trading Kap. Unless they see something on the practice field or otherwise that ordinary fans don't get to see.
Or they know another team overestimates his value and is willing to pay. I doubt that given his limited opportunities. Tolzien will probably be cut
Unless he really balls out. I'm not sure about this Josh Johnson dude. Hail Tolzien the King!