There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

4 QBs on roster,will one be traded?

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
u know scott tolzein is PS eligible right

thats where he will go

Yes Sir.
I'm sick of hearing this assumption at CK is the QB of the future just because we traded up to get him.

1 we have no idea how the coaches are evaluating him. they may have concluded he is gifted physically, but isn't comprehending NFL defenses and reads. We just don't know. Maybe that's why they needed to get Johnson because they realize that even with another offseason he's unlikely to be ready even as a back-up.

2 the reason we traded up was the other QBs were flying off the board - ponder and dalton were thought to be available in the second and were gone, so CK was the last available decent QB so we had to trade up to get someone on the roster.

And to the point above, CK has very little trade value now. It is highly doubtful someone gives us a 2nd because if we were willing to trade him, then they would likely view it as us admitting we made a mistake on the guy. At this point, JJ would have more trade value if there is a training camp injury on another team that makes someone desperate for a QB.
Super special 4QB Offense
Originally posted by sanjose49erfan:
the the signing of josh johnson today will someone like Colin Kaepernick be traded for a draft pick? If the 49ers are in a win now phase will he be traded for a 2nd round pick and a 6th? what are your thoughts?It does make you think..........it could happen!

No.
Smith and Kaep are here to stay, I'm guessing Johnson is going to have to battle Tolzien for the 3rd spot and neither is a lock for that spot. I'm pretty sure Tolzien IS practice squad eligible though, so he may be the more expendable of the bunch.
Smith takes the snap, laterals to Johnson who runs left, stops...sets and fires a TD to Smith down the right sideline. Saw this play in video of Smith at Utah. Very nice play design and Harbaugh likes trickerations...and complex strategery.
None of them
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 31,920
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
u know scott tolzein is PS eligible right

thats where he will go

Yes Sir.
this is what will happen. if scott beats out either ck or josh johnson that does not say a whole for them.We tempted fate last year with alex and two kids who were not ready to go and they will not go down that road again. i knew ck was not ready for prime time, i got ripped for it but the josh johnson moves confirms that , in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 31,920
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Tolzein Is the antichrist
not to mention last years nate dixon, or was it the year before
Gonna have to wait and see. I have a feeling JJ just might surprise me and others on how well he does. At first it seem to me that CK was going to be trade bait but I am not so sure now.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 31,920
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
Gonna have to wait and see. I have a feeling JJ just might surprise me and others on how well he does. At first it seem to me that CK was going to be trade bait but I am not so sure now.
i think ck has a long leash since they went through alot to get him. a full off season will help him alot but he is still not ready to be the man. he and the niners should be content to let him learn and hope he will be better one year from now than what he is now
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Actaully the way Smiths contract looks to me it pretty much assures that he will be the starter for the next two years. We haven't seen a lot of CK but the coaches HAVE. They may very well have decided they don't want him anymore, they sure didn't show much confidence in him this offseason.

Actually, Smith's contract is structured in such a way that the first year is the only one that has serious money attached (in comparison with other QB contracts). This training camp will be very interesting insofar as we will see what CK has picked up during this past season, and how quickly JJ blends in to the QB mix. Absent an injury, it's almost certain AS will start the first game and probably the majority of games next season, but all bets are off if he shows he can't carry the team and execute the whole game plan. If he shows he cannot take advantage with open receivers, and fails to make good decisions, JH will not hesitate to pull him if the coach has confidence in one of his other QBs. I really think the Niners want Alex to do well but the long term plan is for CK to take over next year if he's up to it. That way, with the way Alex's contract is structured, the Niners could get a very attractive draft pick for him in trade next offseason.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 33,459
Why not just keep 4 QB's, its been done before??
Originally posted by mike:
Nope. It's competition for camp. We'll have 4 going into camp and Tolzien is the most likely not to beat JJ for a spot.

Why would we give up on Kaepernick already? We traded up for him and have only seen him take a very limited amount of snaps.

im still not giving up on being the first CK hater.........he did some good things here in reno, but when the hometown boy goes to my beloved niners, it changes everything. and since i know hes not a good QB, i hate the fact that hes on this team and people think "he is the future". any other team and i would have been happy for him. i go to the same school as the guy, i have seson tix to the wolfpack every year, ive seen him in person and watched him play. i know people say "oh JH and TB are the pros and youre just some dude writing on a forum" "they traded up to get him so they must see something in him"......well what about all the other teams that took QBs 1st overall and it didnt work out. they thought that guy could be good. or traded up to get guys and they were wrong? the guys who drafted them were the pros and got paid to do that too. just because some dude in a FO thinks someone is good doesnt mean, they are right and im wrong, cuz im some scrub on the internet. he has all the time in the world to prove me wrong, but i dont think that is going to happen, and would not be happy or comfortable with him starting for my team.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Actaully the way Smiths contract looks to me it pretty much assures that he will be the starter for the next two years. We haven't seen a lot of CK but the coaches HAVE. They may very well have decided they don't want him anymore, they sure didn't show much confidence in him this offseason.

Actually, Smith's contract is structured in such a way that the first year is the only one that has serious money attached (in comparison with other QB contracts). This training camp will be very interesting insofar as we will see what CK has picked up during this past season, and how quickly JJ blends in to the QB mix. Absent an injury, it's almost certain AS will start the first game and probably the majority of games next season, but all bets are off if he shows he can't carry the team and execute the whole game plan. If he shows he cannot take advantage with open receivers, and fails to make good decisions, JH will not hesitate to pull him if the coach has confidence in one of his other QBs. I really think the Niners want Alex to do well but the long term plan is for CK to take over next year if he's up to it. That way, with the way Alex's contract is structured, the Niners could get a very attractive draft pick for him in trade next offseason.


Exactly, the team traded up for CK, and they structured Alex's contract so that Colin can take over at any time. Alex's contract is really just a year to year deal. Even if he play's it out his and Colin's deals both expire at the end of 2014. I think that the team would want to know what they have in Colin by that point, so I would imagine that he would get a chance at the starting job by then, unless of course Alex continues to progress and blows them away. Josh was signed just to make the QB room stronger, whether that is at number 2 or 3 on the depth chart depends on Colin's development. I think that Josh would be the number 3 QB on the roster, but if Colin proves that he is not ready yet, I could see Josh leap frogging him should Alex go down with an injury. I believe that Training Camp and Preseason games will offer a lot of clarity on this issue.