Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Heard something interesting about Dr. York

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Dr. York is an idiot.

He pissed off Walsh.

He fired Mariucci on a whim because we got worked by Tampa bay in the playoffs and Mariucci played it safe at halftime.

Tossed away the great niner tradition.

Didn't work with the City to keep the team in the city.

Made bonehead moves and finally turned the team over to his son which is working out better when Jed finally learned not to make "any football decisions."

It's been a decade of awfulness until the stars aligned and they got Jim Harbaugh.......WE GOT REALLY LUCKY.

Wow. I never thought I'd defend John York....but.....

He fired Mariucci because he was advised by the real culprit for the 49ers falling apart, Terry Donahue. Donahue was appointed by Bill Walsh, so York was trusting in Walsh's decision.

He then made some bad decisions, no doubt, but I just think he was in over his head.

While he may not be good at running a football team, the 49ers are leaving SF because of circumstance and the city itself. Eddie D couldn't get stadium built there either.

I give him credit for knowing that and turning over the reigns to Jed.

this
This
I also believe he was the first on the scene to attempt to revive Thomas Herrion.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Cool story, Rob.

This. lol
Thanks for sharing, Rob. Interesting perspective on a guy I don't really know much about (but thought I did).
Originally posted by okdkid:
I also believe he was the first on the scene to attempt to revive Thomas Herrion.

Was this the linemen who died a few years ago?
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by okdkid:

Was this the linemen who died a few years ago?

Yes. In the middle of the locker room with all of the players watching.
And yet Denise owned other businesses prior to this, including a horse track. She traded that and other holdings to Eddie D for the 49ers. If she didn't want them, the team simply could have been sold. If John didn't want to take over the team, he didn't have to. They simply could have hired someone to run it for them. Since taking over, there have been offers to buy the team - from someone in Canada, and a conglomeration headed up by Steve Young and Brent Jones. He turned those offers down.

So in short: Do not believe story. Yorks still suck.
Originally posted by aman49:
Rare long post in Niner Talk that was worth reading. Thanks for that.

Well put.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Well put.
Golf Clap