There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Heard something interesting about Dr. York

Or at least I found it interesting. A guy I know (and yes, that's the extent of source provided, so consider this as a rumor, not a fact) knows Dr. York. This guy has a very different take on York than I have seen portrayed in the media, which up until now is all I have relied on to form my own opinion of York, frankly. He said Dr. York is actually an incredibly nice, down to earth, kind and generous man. Not a typo. Generous.
So, I protested, what the hell is with all the horror stories from back in the day of Gatorade bottles being locked up and charging for stamps. His explanation? Dr. York is an extreme introvert (think Ricky Williams and keep going). To the point where York is painfully socially awkward. He literally can't interpret how others (especially, in the media) will anticipate his moves. So, York was trying to the run the business the way he would run any old run of the mill business, becuase he had no idea how a football team is percieved differently from any other business. He's terrified of publicity and public exposure in general. And he never asked to be in charge of one of the most media exposed team in the most media focused industry in the sports world. Rather, he was pinch hitting for his wife...
Which brings me to Denise. According to this same guy, while Dr. York may be a severe introvert, next to Denise, he's practically the Situation. Denise York is, according to this guy, the polar opposite of her brother. She may suffer from agoraphobia. She won't even leave Youngstown to come to watch her own team play. It's hard for her to even leave the house.

So, inevitably, when two super socially awkward introverts are thrown into the blinding limelight of owning an NFL franchise (thanks to Eddie getting his hand caught in the cookie jar), bad press happens, then worse press, then worse press. Word is, that's why Dr. York couldn't wait to hand the reins over to Jed (who was less than 30 when he took over), because Dr. York literally could not be a successful CEO of an NFL team, with all the public exposure it requires.

Hearing all this helped explained a lot for me which was previously pretty confusing (why the franchise seems to now be going in the right direction, after spending a decade going in the wrong direction, all under the same ownership). Kind of helps me to let go of my Dr. York hate, and, in truth, kind of feel sorry for the dude. Rough spot to be in.

Anyway, just thought I'd share for anyone interested. Thanks.
Cool story, Rob.
didn't hear, lol
Good read and thanks so much for sharing. How the Yorks came to acquire ownership of this storied franchise was more than unique.
I actually believe all of that. Thanks for sharing.
actually a cool read
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Cool story, Rob.

Thanks!
Unlike John's son (Jed), Dr. John York may have been horrible at running a sports organization (along with his demonic wife), but John saved tons of people's lives in his 'true' natural profession. -Guy is a good man, no matter what fans want to perceive.
How the Yorks came to acquire this franchise should be NFL Illegal.
Originally posted by Robert:
Or at least I found it interesting. A guy I know (and yes, that's the extent of source provided, so consider this as a rumor, not a fact) knows Dr. York. This guy has a very different take on York than I have seen portrayed in the media, which up until now is all I have relied on to form my own opinion of York, frankly. He said Dr. York is actually an incredibly nice, down to earth, kind and generous man. Not a typo. Generous.
So, I protested, what the hell is with all the horror stories from back in the day of Gatorade bottles being locked up and charging for stamps. His explanation? Dr. York is an extreme introvert (think Ricky Williams and keep going). To the point where York is painfully socially awkward. He literally can't interpret how others (especially, in the media) will anticipate his moves. So, York was trying to the run the business the way he would run any old run of the mill business, becuase he had no idea how a football team is percieved differently from any other business. He's terrified of publicity and public exposure in general. And he never asked to be in charge of one of the most media exposed team in the most media focused industry in the sports world. Rather, he was pinch hitting for his wife...
Which brings me to Denise. According to this same guy, while Dr. York may be a severe introvert, next to Denise, he's practically the Situation. Denise York is, according to this guy, the polar opposite of her brother. She may suffer from agoraphobia. She won't even leave Youngstown to come to watch her own team play. It's hard for her to even leave the house.

So, inevitably, when two super socially awkward introverts are thrown into the blinding limelight of owning an NFL franchise (thanks to Eddie getting his hand caught in the cookie jar), bad press happens, then worse press, then worse press. Word is, that's why Dr. York couldn't wait to hand the reins over to Jed (who was less than 30 when he took over), because Dr. York literally could not be a successful CEO of an NFL team, with all the public exposure it requires.

Hearing all this helped explained a lot for me which was previously pretty confusing (why the franchise seems to now be going in the right direction, after spending a decade going in the wrong direction, all under the same ownership). Kind of helps me to let go of my Dr. York hate, and, in truth, kind of feel sorry for the dude. Rough spot to be in.

Anyway, just thought I'd share for anyone interested. Thanks.

It's crazy to think that people that are so inept are handed a football team. I mean look around the league and look at some of the stupid moves that are made. Money may buy you a football team, but money does not run the football team. Jon didn't have a clue what he was doing, and it showed.
I'd believe it Robert. I know John has been going to more games recently but you never really see Denise come out in public. Maybe for a charity event once in awhile. I would say neither really wanted to run the franchise. I'm just glad Jed came along and looked up to his uncle Eddie. He actually wants to be an owner. Sounds weird but a lot of owners don't care about winning... some just see it as a business. Not every one wants to run a team either. Some just inherit it like the Yorks and they aren't the only ones like that.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Unlike John's son (Jed), Dr. John York may have been horrible at running a sports organization (along with his demonic wife), but John saved tons of people's lives in his 'true' natural profession. -Guy is a good man, no matter what fans want to perceive.

Interesting, and the Yorks totally look the part. Good shtuff
nice story, thank god john gave the team to jed to run and jed growing up a 9es fan knows what hes doing. we would be in hell still if john was still running things and we would be in the stephen ross categoy of stupid ownership. this organization came up after being so low for yrs, very interesting about denise. so she wouldnt attend the sb if the team made it?
still cheap, lol