There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Not Getting Manning was possibly a turn for Future success/sustainability

Oh, and just to mention, he chose not to come here. Not like an opportunity missed.
Both Smith and Manning could get us to the playoffs, the team is that good. For all the praise Manning has earned he has only 1 SB ring. He never could figure out Belichick until that SB year. Let's see how far we go this year with Alex.
Alex is #4 in Qb rating, #7 in Total QBR
Manning is #1 in Qb rating, #1 in Total QBR

Alex signed a cheap (comparatively) deal that would not kill the 49ers cap if they go in the Kaep direction
Manning signed a huge deal that would have crippled the 49ers cap room to sign guys like Goldson, Bowman, etc.

Manning, despite having a great season, appears to not have the laser rocket arm any more, despite his stats. Plus, you can't ignore the 3 neck surgeries in 18 months / fusions. That HAS to make him more susceptible something permanent given the right hit.

Alex is orchestrating what Roman wants him to
Manning run his owns offense

I think its a wash for now but we will see come playoff time

On an emotional level, however, I want to see Alex bring home #6 and have a Giant drive him in the 49ers parade
i agree. i got caught up in the hoopla too, but soon after i started thinking "how are we gonna pay this guy?" when he announced that he was signing with the Broncos, I wasn't even mad. Made for an exciting offseason, but we've got a great TEAM, I'd like us to keep that.
Originally posted by English:
It isn't the bucks. It is the necessitated dismantling of the team of young players for one dude on his last legs.

It would have also necessitated a change in the offense to accomadate Manning's style. JH may have been reluctant to do that.
Manning wanted a team that would lie down for him (pay him, build the offense around him), and he's really earned that.

We just weren't a fit for him.
He didn't want to go to the Niners.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM ]
The choice was Manning's.

96 M says it all. The choice for us would be get Manning and lose A LOT of very key players.
I wish we had gotten manning our chances of winning the super bowl would be very high right now.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The choice was Manning's.

96 M says it all. The choice for us would be get Manning and lose A LOT of very key players.

Yeah our defense would look like Denver's....good but not GREAT......
I have nothing against us not offering Manning a deal. We have the luxury of not having to throw so much money into the QB position, that we have money to pay players at other positions. Also, who's to say having Manning GUARANTEES a Super Bowl? For all of his great years in Indy, he made 2 appearances and has a 1-1 record. I say we can do about the same with the current QB we have.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Yeah our defense would look like Denver's....good but not GREAT......

Exactly. Wait until Denver runs into a team like Houston or a Baltimore that is click on all cylinders. Teams that can play good/great offense AND defense.
I'm very happy we didn't sign Manning, he's a first ballot HOFer, but he doesn't fit the culture of the 49ers. If he was willing to take less money to come here that would be one thing, he just wanted to get paid, and there's no good reason to dismantle our team for him..
Say goodbye to Bowman, Goldson and many more. Think you could keep those guys with that deal? No way. $95 million for an old QB with an injured neck is too much.
Originally posted by susweel:
I wish we had gotten manning our chances of winning the super bowl would be very high right now.
...and it have to be this year but no more. No way the FO could even consider re-signing some of the key players next year and thereafter. Also, for a lot of guys who accepted decent deals, not break-the-bank stuff to fit in with "the team," it would have been a slap in the face. Manning, as great as he is, works best when everything revolves around him. That is just counter-culture for Harbaugh.