LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Did Alex Smith Have a Good Year BC of Harbs? or was it just Alex passing a hurdle?????

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Redeemer:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Like I said just when Harbaugh was hired...

if Alex can get a QBR in the 80's with Singletary, Jimmy Raye and Mike Johnson? He can get into the 90's and beyond with Jim Harbaugh.

.. and what do ya know.... done. The numbers aren't that important though. Help keep us as playoff contenders and we will get a ring or two in the coming years. Alex is a good QB that can get us SB rings... but yeah, he does require at least adequate coaching and players to help.

True but sadly still won't be enough for some fans.

I think SOME of these detractors are just trying to stir the place up with drama. They can't be as stupid and myopic as they appear to be. It's just not possible.
Originally posted by BayArea:
I 110% think it was Harbaugh, and the types of plays that were called. Leaving less up to Alex and also asking less out of him. I also think Singletary was brain dead when it came to the position of QB and running an offense.

60-40 alex-harbaugh. alex had to study and organize OTAs. alex had to work late nights with coach during camp and during the season. alex had to b persistent and lead thru tough games. alex had to take those 44 sacks and qb hits and get back up with fight in him to win. alex had to execute what roman called on all those come from behind 4th qtr drives to pull out gutty wins. this is why the locker room was behind him because they respected his fight and his leadership on and off the field. furthermore alex is a class act and is always mindful in his mannerisms and how he conducts himself. we should b proud to have him leading our team. yes a healthy manning would have been a better player on the field but we could do a whole lot worse than alex. 14-4 is nothing to sneeze at
Originally posted by Redeemer:
Like I said just when Harbaugh was hired...

if Alex can get a QBR in the 80's with Singletary, Jimmy Raye and Mike Johnson? He can get into the 90's and beyond with Jim Harbaugh.

.. and what do ya know.... done. The numbers aren't that important though. Help keep us as playoff contenders and we will get a ring or two in the coming years. Alex is a good QB that can get us SB rings... but yeah, he does require at least adequate coaching and players to help.

True but sadly still won't be enough for some fans.

I think SOME of these detractors are just trying to stir the place up with drama. They can't be as stupid and myopic as they appear to be. It's just not possible.

Agree.
  • flow
  • Veteran

Never underestimate the power of stoopid.

Never.
Didn't notice Jim making throws on the field on Sundays last year?

Is this a serious question.

So a rocket engineer tells you how to get to the moon, do you think you make it there, without buying a ticket?
Originally posted by flow:
Never underestimate the power of stoopid.

Never.

I lean towards Harbaugh. Smith has been in the league for awhile now and has his best year when Harbaugh arrives. Harbs put Smith in winnable situations and gave him confidence. Of course, our defense has something to do with it as well.
In years past it seemed that the coaches kept trying to put a square peg into a round hole and now it seems that the coaching staff is making the offense fit the QB. So basically the way that I see it, the coaches geared the offense for him to be successful and Alex performed on the field, especially when it mattered most. What a novel concept, put your player in a position to be successful. Not sure why it took so long to figure that one out.
Its was all due to Harbaugh. It makes me sick that we re-signed this guy. :/
Originally posted by daragon:
Its was all due to Harbaugh. It makes me sick that we re-signed this guy. :/

That makes no sense. Regardless of whether it was Smith, Harbaugh, or whatever...the QB position was fine last year and Smith played well when it mattered in key games.

From October 10th on, Alex completed 111 of 191 attempts for 1,450 yards (7.6 ypa), 11 touchdowns, and 3 interceptions for a QBR of 94.7. - In 2010

He fumbled twice in that time, and was sacked once every 12 dropbacks (about the NFL average).

Alex deserves a ton of credit for getting here on his own. Harbaugh helped him put it all together, perhaps, but Alex did a lot more for himself than Harbaugh did for him.

One could make the argument that Harbaugh actually held him back. Entering 2011, Alex Smith was 2nd among active quarterbacks in Red Zone QBR, a number which dipped significantly this season.
[ Edited by adembroski on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM ]
it took harbough the pre game hugging, tapping and butt slapping to Alex Smith to get him going
Alex's play has been on an upward trajectory since Jimmy Raye was relieved of his duties.
Originally posted by jreff22:
both

this.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
both

Passing a huddle BECAUSE of Harbaugh...so yeah-BOTH
Share 49ersWebzone