LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Did Alex Smith Have a Good Year BC of Harbs? or was it just Alex passing a hurdle?????

Shop Find 49ers gear online
yay another smith thread
Originally posted by gold49digger:
this will be answered next season

this.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
yay another smith thread

This.
I think both.
[ Edited by Kronos2560 on Mar 21, 2012 at 1:32 AM ]
Alex Smith cleared a hurdle because of better coaching and better talent.

Life is not black and white, one or the other. Everything affects everything.
Originally posted by AldonGood99:
Alex Smith cleared a hurdle because of better coaching and better talent.

Life is not black and white, one or the other. Everything affects everything.

This. It's kind of both IMO.
because he actually had a coach

the last actual coach was norv and did decent with him
All the new aspects of the organization from top to bottom is what contributed to the success of this past season. You know the answer is a combonation of both Smith and Harbaugh. Smith made some big throws when needed and he aslo made some crucial plays of his own. He was put in a better position to make plays. The entire team was on another level and it was mostly the D and ST. Run game and the two just mentioned were winning them games for parts of the season while the O was average. All I can ask is that the QB play be better than the previous year.
Like I said just when Harbaugh was hired...

if Alex can get a QBR in the 80's with Singletary, Jimmy Raye and Mike Johnson? He can get into the 90's and beyond with Jim Harbaugh.

.. and what do ya know.... done. The numbers aren't that important though. Help keep us as playoff contenders and we will get a ring or two in the coming years. Alex is a good QB that can get us SB rings... but yeah, he does require at least adequate coaching and players to help.

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
because he actually had a coach

the last actual coach was norv and did decent with him

This!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Like I said just when Harbaugh was hired...

if Alex can get a QBR in the 80's with Singletary, Jimmy Raye and Mike Johnson? He can get into the 90's and beyond with Jim Harbaugh.

.. and what do ya know.... done. The numbers aren't that important though. Help keep us as playoff contenders and we will get a ring or two in the coming years. Alex is a good QB that can get us SB rings... but yeah, he does require at least adequate coaching and players to help.

True but sadly still won't be enough for some fans.
He had a good year managing the team
I think a lot of people undervalue what Smith did for this team last season, yeah he wasn't flashy by any means, but he was able to make some big throws and drives when he had to, and he took care of the ball...only 5 interceptions. If you have a QB that is not going to kill you with INTs then you have a chance to win every game. I look forward to seeing Alex continue his progression next season!

So to answer the OP question, I would say Harbaugh had a lot to do with, but he also matured as a QB himself.
I 110% think it was Harbaugh, and the types of plays that were called. Leaving less up to Alex and also asking less out of him. I also think Singletary was brain dead when it came to the position of QB and running an offense.
Share 49ersWebzone