LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

What is the 49ers plan for the OL and protecting Alex Smith going forward?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
You know how I feel about the interior of this line. Draft someone early and install them right away. Would not be surprised to see the team pick Osemele or Zeitler in the late first, even though I se them as second round value. Goodwin finished 23rd in the NFL in ranking the centers by Pro Football Focus and third to last in pass protection. Upgrades needed at center and right guard

As much as I'd like Konz, I think there are too many teams ahead of us that would see his potential and take him. We'd need to trade up.

I have the same feeling, and I wouldn't like us taking them there. Poor value in my opinion as well. Personally, I'd like us to target the following players in the following areas:

Amini Silatolu - 2nd
Ben Jones - 2nd or 3rd
Brandon Washington - 3rd
Philip Blake - 3rd or 4th
Brandon Brooks - 3rd
Luke Nix - 4th
Ryan Miller - 4th or 5th
Josh LeRibeus - 5th or 6th
Rokevious Watkins - 5th, 6th or 7th
Mike Brewster - 4th
This is a great question. I think we will trade up in the draft for a guard. Boone is the backup. He'll be given the chance to push for a tackle position. Also, nobody talks about this, but from an athletic standpoint. Boone to tackle staley to guard. It could seriously work. But I think we trade up in the draft for a guard.
Oh and didn't we draft a center last year? You think Goodwin might get pushed out?
Our O-Line really isnt as bad as people think... we definitly need to upgrade the right guard position, but the rest of our line is nice. i know we are not talking about the left but Staley is pro bowl, and iupatai will be pro bowl, goodwin is a good veteran pass proector.. anthony davis was a 1st round pick and is catching on more, i love his attitude he brings.... most O-Lines dont have the luxury we have to work with... only right guard is our need, and thats if kilgore is a fail
Originally posted by VA49er:
Oh and didn't we draft a center last year? You think Goodwin might get pushed out?

Kilgore was supposedly in line to be groomed as a center. Person also supposedly is being worked to be able to play all the line positions. We've also got Beeler as a project, but he is what he is.. a project.

I would not be surprised to see us draft three OL and let them compete, the best one winning a starting job.

Rachal and Snyder both are gone (and good riddance to, at least).
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Our O-Line really isnt as bad as people think... we definitly need to upgrade the right guard position, but the rest of our line is nice. i know we are not talking about the left but Staley is pro bowl, and iupatai will be pro bowl, goodwin is a good veteran pass proector.. anthony davis was a 1st round pick and is catching on more, i love his attitude he brings.... most O-Lines dont have the luxury we have to work with... only right guard is our need, and thats if kilgore is a fail

Iupati and Davis are still young and learning obviously, and Staley is very, very solid. But Goodwin and Snyder graded out as one of the worst at their positions, respectively.
I don't see us drafting an offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds. To be honest, I hope we use this year to get more picks for next year.
Brewster at center with Goodwin mentoring him in the interim, Kilgore at RG with a veteran back up.
Originally posted by VA49er:
This is a great question. I think we will trade up in the draft for a guard. Boone is the backup. He'll be given the chance to push for a tackle position. Also, nobody talks about this, but from an athletic standpoint. Boone to tackle staley to guard. It could seriously work. But I think we trade up in the draft for a guard.

I was thinking like that, except i had them kicking davis inside, using boone at right tackle.

but kilgore has fight in him.

Boone and Kilgor are completly unproven.......Yet they are the champion Olinemen of Niner talk. Davis is a solid tackle with a very, very nasty mean streak. He's only going to get better. All Boone has been able to do in his NFL career is lose wieght, good for him. Maybe he should start doing commericals with Jennifer Hudson (I know I wouldn't mind... )

Anyway, I dont know why, but these kind of threads really piss me off.

Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by Squidp:
Based on what?

Wow someone must have a high football IQ to determine someone who we've hardly seen play is better than our All Pro and Pro Bowl starter

Well Boone comes in on the jumbo formations and he played for Staley against the Cardinals when Staley was injured. I thought he performed very well, in fact I thought he had an easier time versus Dockett than Staley did. Staley sometimes will completely whiff blocks. I must admit my analysis is off of limited playing time, but I just think Boone has looked really solid when he's in the game, and have never seen him get beat like Staley or Davis have.

The front office must think something of him as well since they signed him to a 4 year extension.

So you're saying that you would rather see Boone start over Staley or Davis? Just like in another thread you stated you would rather see Kap or Tolzein start over Smith? I'm beginning to see a pattern here. You sure put a lot of faith in players you've barely seen play.

The players you are advocating are depth. They will remain depth until they unseat the starters by taking advantage of playing time due to injury. Then we'll see.
I dont care what i see. as long as i dont have to watch chilo rachal watch his man waddle past him and sack alex, and him look like "i have no idea where he came from" im good.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Boone and Kilgor are completly unproven.......Yet they are the champion Olinemen of Niner talk. Davis is a solid tackle with a very, very nasty mean streak. He's only going to get better. All Boone has been able to do in his NFL career is lose wieght, good for him. Maybe he should start doing commericals with Jennifer Hudson (I know I wouldn't mind... )

Boone has done well in spot duty....Kilgore nobody knows
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SundayTicket:

Iupati and Davis are still young and learning obviously, and Staley is very, very solid. But Goodwin and Snyder graded out as one of the worst at their positions, respectively.

Side by side...any chance one made the other look worse than he is?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Boone has done well in spot duty....Kilgore nobody knows

there is no way in hell that kilgore can be as bad as chilo rachal...adam snyder idk
Share 49ersWebzone