There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who do you WANT to be QB

Who do you WANT to be QB

If we truly want Alex back , this tebow nonsense has to stop

Seriously , Tebow would cost us the season, plus add a bunch of unhappy WR's and TE's to the mix once it's obvious Tebow wont be the consistent passer we need to get to the next level , might as well kick in a few more bucks and get Alex back ..I'm at a loss for words , why would we want Tebow as QB ...if so then say goodbye to the WCO and say hello to a playbook designed for a limited QB that is run first and pass as a last resort
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GetoThunderFist:
Originally posted by socalniner:
He was a piece to the puzzle. How big a piece is debatable, but he pulled his weight and earned his salary, that's a fact. I guess the bottom line is you'd be willing to gamble a bit and plug in an unknown, where I would rather stick with what's working.

Originally posted by dj43:
The idea of taking a team that was one blown ref's call away from the Super Bowl and starting over at QB with a COMPLETELY untested near rookie in Colin Kaepernick is beyond me.

This team is just a legit WR and RG away from being the odds-on choice to go to the Super Bowl next February. Putting a brand new QB in a learning situation would derail that train totally. As Jack said, this is a team with key vets on whom the window will close, perhaps after this season. This team has the best chance to go to the Super Bowl THIS SEASON. They don't have time to wait for a new QB to develop.

The Pittsburgh/Big Ben scenario does not apply here. Ben was much more pro ready than Kaep. Pittsburgh was not as ready in Ben's rookie year as the 49ers are now. Pittsburgh did not have any other option. They were forced to go with BR. The 49ers have proven they can win with Alex Smith. A forced change is not necessary.
The idea of taking a team that was one blown ref's call away from the Super Bowl and starting over at QB with a COMPLETELY untested near rookie in Colin Kaepernick is beyond me.

This team is just a legit WR and RG away from being the odds-on choice to go to the Super Bowl next February. Putting a brand new QB in a learning situation would derail that train totally. As Jack said, this is a team with key vets on whom the window will close, perhaps after this season. This team has the best chance to go to the Super Bowl THIS SEASON. They don't have time to wait for a new QB to develop.

The Pittsburgh/Big Ben scenario does not apply here. Ben was much more pro ready than Kaep. Pittsburgh was not as ready in Ben's rookie year as the 49ers are now. Pittsburgh did not have any other option. They were forced to go with BR. The 49ers have proven they can win with Alex Smith. A forced change is not necessary.

They've proven they can win with a great defense, special teams and a damn near historic turnover +/-. Harbaugh very rarely asked Smith to win anything. I think the Catch III has skewed in a lot of people's heads what actually happened last season. For every Saints game there were three games like the Redskins game, the Browns game and the first Cardinals game (and, well the second one, too, come to think of it)

Like I've said, I love Alex and his heart but the guy threw for under 200 yards a game and we were one of the worst red zone offenses in the league. What is irreplaceable, here?
Do you honestly believe Kaepernick could have done what Smith did? Seriously?

BTW, using those early season games when Edwards was injured and Crabtree was not even practicing as a judging point reveals a lack of detail in your analysis.

BTW, using those early season games when Edwards was injured and Crabtree was not even practicing as a judging point reveals a lack of detail in your analysis.

The Redskins, Both Cards games and the Browns game happened week 8 or later. Crabtree played in all those games and Edwards was never a factor as evidenced by the fact that he was cut even though we clearly needed a WR.
There is no way Kaepernick could have put up HOF stats like Alex did this year.
Originally posted by socalniner:
He was a piece to the puzzle. How big a piece is debatable, but he pulled his weight and earned his salary, that's a fact. I guess the bottom line is you'd be willing to gamble a bit and plug in an unknown, where I would rather stick with what's working.

They've proven they can win with a great defense, special teams and a damn near historic turnover +/-. Harbaugh very rarely asked Smith to win anything. I think the Catch III has skewed in a lot of people's heads what actually happened last season. For every Saints game there were three games like the Redskins game, the Browns game and the first Cardinals game (and, well the second one, too, come to think of it)

Like I've said, I love Alex and his heart but the guy threw for under 200 yards a game and we were one of the worst red zone offenses in the league. What is irreplaceable, here?
exactly!!! even though we have a great def and special teams we can't expect them to produce the way they did last year and bail out the average play at QB. I'm not a alex hater but it is what it is. he's limited and you can see that by how the offense was run.
Originally posted by RayshawnJackson:
There is no way Kaepernick could have put up HOF stats like Alex did this year.

LOL HoF stats and A Smith are like oil and water they go together so well
[ Edited by 9erfreak on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM ]
lol wheres the tebow option ...........
Just like how Harbaugh and Baalke kept things under wraps with the whole Manning thing, don't be surprised if they explore the possiblity of trading up for Luck.

CK
Crabtree
1st and 2nd Rounder (2012 & 2013)

Maybe even throwing Gore in.

For #1 Overall to draft Luck

Do this and you wouldn't have to worry about the QB position for the next 15 years.

Just a thought
Originally posted by ERock415:
Just like how Harbaugh and Baalke kept things under wraps with the whole Manning thing, don't be surprised if they explore the possiblity of trading up for Luck.

CK
Crabtree

Do this and you wouldn't have to worry about the QB position for the next 15 years.

Just a thought

not happening....nice try

CK
Crabtree

Just a thought

...so you are saying someone should start an Andrew Luck thread? that would be perfect right now
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
not happening....nice try

Colts have plenty of needs and the 9ers are probably a G and WR from being complete. I know it is far fetched, but im just saying it is a possibility that they will explore that route.
Originally posted by eamjr10:
...so you are saying someone should start an Andrew Luck thread? that would be perfect right now

Lol..... Just wanted to throw that out there. Back to the topic at hand, Alex is a good QB. He will never be elite and won't bring the 9ers a Super Bowl. I would rather see what CK got and roll with him. Many will say we were 2 fumbles away from going to the Superbowl, but in the 2nd half of the game Alex could not convert any 3rd downs. Kyle Williams gets all the blame, but don't forget what Alex did as well.... Nothing
  • dj43
  • Veteran

The Redskins, Both Cards games and the Browns game happened week 8 or later. Crabtree played in all those games and Edwards was never a factor as evidenced by the fact that he was cut even though we clearly needed a WR.

I was typing in a hurry. What I should have said was that Crabtree did not begin practicing regularly until during week 12. Even then, he was on the "limited participation" list through week 14. In order for a passing offense to run effectively the QB and the receivers MUST have practice time together so they can settle the patterns and timing of the routes. There was NEVER a time when the 49ers went through a full week from training camp on, when they had the full compliment of WRs healthy enough to accomplish that. They were virtually play pick-up games with kids off the streets as far as building the confidence and rapport needed to develop the passing game.

Look. It is clearly evident that the 49ers need WRs in a big way. Every draft pundit has recognized it in their mocks. You can knock Alex Smith all you want but the facts are that Harbaugh never trusted him even once in a significant game to come in and play. Smith, with all the limitations imposed on the offense, still finished with quality work and a very solid rating. So while that certainly does not put him on the same level as PM but to say that Colin Kaepernick was capable then of doing what Smith did is to ignore reality.
  • dj43
  • Veteran

CK
Crabtree

Just a thought

Just for grins I worked the numbers a couple of weeks ago. To move from #30 to #1 it would take the #1 pick for the next three years, plus a #2 and a #3 next year...and that is if Indy was willing to trade out of the pick, which they clearly are not as evidenced by their release of Manning.

As to the trade value of the players mentioned. CK is not worth a 4th at this point - no playing history even though he was backing a "mediocre" QB. Crabtree MIGHT be worth a 2nd and Gore, at this point in his career is about a 4/5 - his is far beyond the point at which most NFL backs are no longer playing the game.
Just for grins I worked the numbers a couple of weeks ago. To move from #30 to #1 it would take the #1 pick for the next three years, plus a #2 and a #3 next year...and that is if Indy was willing to trade out of the pick, which they clearly are not as evidenced by their release of Manning.

As to the trade value of the players mentioned. CK is not worth a 4th at this point - no playing history even though he was backing a "mediocre" QB. Crabtree MIGHT be worth a 2nd and Gore, at this point in his career is about a 4/5 - his is far beyond the point at which most NFL backs are no longer playing the game.

CK
Crabtree

Just a thought

To be honest, I would say.... Do it! Like they say.... The QB position is the most important on the field. If the 9ers ever thought that Luck was that guy, you got to get him. The 9ers have proven that they get good value in the later rounds and the 9ers are probably a WR, G, and depth away from a consistent run at the Superbowl every year. I don't mind having Alex at the 3 year deal offered by the 9ers, but he has only provided 1 good year. There is a reason why the 9ers won't budge on the negotiations and over pay.