There are 219 users in the forums

Who do you WANT to be QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who do you WANT to be QB

Originally posted by GetoThunderFist:
Originally posted by socalniner:
And I would be more than happy if Kap wins the starting job this season. Based on what I've seen of him so far, I just don't see it happening. Honestly ask yourself, if you had to win a game right now, would you seriously choose Kap over Alex? With Kap we win maybe 9 games, Alex we're in the playoffs without a doubt.

If we have the same defense, special teams and turnover plus/minus, we're in the playoffs no doubt. Alex Smith was not the reason why this team went 13-3 last year. People seem to forget that.

You're right, if I had to pick, I would pick Alex. But not because he's indispensable.

The offense is going to need to progress this season, our defense is awesome...but to expect them to be just as good as they were last year may be a false hope. It would be unheard of in the NFL. We can't go into this season banking on the Defense putting up the same numbers next season...that may be asking too much.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by jreff22:
easiest answer is keep the INT numbers low

But couldn't Kaepernick do the same if given the same offense to run? Alex Smith didn't suddenly learn how to be more efficient with the ball.

Look at every rookie QB how played 16 games...the INT numbers are always high, its the nature of the beast. And Alex is running the "playbook for dummies" version....NFL reads are harder then college reads.

It boggles my mind how people think Kaepernick could do the same and keep the INTs low. Kaepernick has never started an NFL game. He has no experience and there's no way someone could expect him to not get much more confused than a veteran like Smith.
Yo OTC,
I respect your opinion so I'm just asking you and not being offensive. I know it is way too easy to try and compare success stories but isn't this kind of similiar to Big Ben and Pitt. Not the way he took over, but he started his rookie year and got his feet wet and then led them to a Superbowl year 2. I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure he didn't even play that well. The team was carried by the Defense that Pitt had for years and they begged Bettis to come back for one more year. I know Kaepernick is raw but if we had actually got Dalton in the draft everyone would be saying he is not ready to start as well and we know that's not true. I don't want to take a step back if we are wrong about Kaep or Tolzien but we know Alex isn't their top choice. We drafted Kaep, we tried for Hasselback last year, we signed Smith to a 1 year deal and now we tried for Manning and Smith still isn't signed after his 14-4 season. I just think the signs say "We know your not our guy."

That being said, we are going to know Harbaugh's decision on Kaep being ready if Alex resigns, and I am truly ok with whatever he decides. I am not an Alex Hater... I am just a fan that worries the longer we toy around with Smith, the window closes on Gore or Justin Smith and then we have to start replacing those guys.
  • dj43
The fact that roughly 105 people here think Colin Kaepernick would be a better starter next season than Alex Smith boggles my mind. I guess this must be Easter vacation week for a lot of kids. j/k
Originally posted by pelos21:
I think we're gonna get Tebowed!

Need to change the poll "other" option to TEBOW!

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
I will root for tebow to suck if hes our starting quarterback

He won't be a 49er. That's nonsense. Harbaugh knows hes not a quarterback
Originally posted by NavyNinerFan:

I don't want Tebow and I believe this would unite Alex Haters,Lovers and anyone in between and be against it IMO!
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by NavyNinerFan:

I don't want Tebow and I believe this would unite Alex Haters,Lovers and anyone in between and be against it IMO!
Me neither...pure sarcasm on my part dude.
I don't want Tebow and I would rather see CK7 starting. But again I differ to the FO to make those decisions .
If they consider Tebow I'll jump on the Alex Bandwagon!

Originally posted by jacklegniner:

But couldn't Kaepernick do the same if given the same offense to run? Alex Smith didn't suddenly learn how to be more efficient with the ball.

Look at every rookie QB how played 16 games...the INT numbers are always high, its the nature of the beast. And Alex is running the "playbook for dummies" version....NFL reads are harder then college reads.

It boggles my mind how people think Kaepernick could do the same and keep the INTs low. Kaepernick has never started an NFL game. He has no experience and there's no way someone could expect him to not get much more confused than a veteran like Smith.
Yo OTC,
I respect your opinion so I'm just asking you and not being offensive. I know it is way too easy to try and compare success stories but isn't this kind of similiar to Big Ben and Pitt. Not the way he took over, but he started his rookie year and got his feet wet and then led them to a Superbowl year 2. I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure he didn't even play that well. The team was carried by the Defense that Pitt had for years and they begged Bettis to come back for one more year. I know Kaepernick is raw but if we had actually got Dalton in the draft everyone would be saying he is not ready to start as well and we know that's not true. I don't want to take a step back if we are wrong about Kaep or Tolzien but we know Alex isn't their top choice. We drafted Kaep, we tried for Hasselback last year, we signed Smith to a 1 year deal and now we tried for Manning and Smith still isn't signed after his 14-4 season. I just think the signs say "We know your not our guy."

That being said, we are going to know Harbaugh's decision on Kaep being ready if Alex resigns, and I am truly ok with whatever he decides. I am not an Alex Hater... I am just a fan that worries the longer we toy around with Smith, the window closes on Gore or Justin Smith and then we have to start replacing those guys.

As great as our defense is, I'm not sure it was as good as the Steelers in that era. I mean, they had Tommy Maddox win a Super Bowl, and Alex Smith is at least better than Tommy Maddox.
I think the Tebow link is a way of making all fans get behind Alex. They've excited us about PM, so if we go to Alex straight after we'd be dissapointed so we link with Tebow so everyone is happy we sign Alex.

Its just like dealing with money, if you offered $1000 (PM) but ended up $500(AS) you'd be disappointed, but if you were offered $1000, then you nearly ended up with $100(TT) you'd be satisfied with $500(AS)
Why does Grant Cohen think that Tebow would be a bargain?
Maybe as a starting QB, but as a third down back?
  • dj43
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

Yo OTC,

As great as our defense is, I'm not sure it was as good as the Steelers in that era. I mean, they had Tommy Maddox win a Super Bowl, and Alex Smith is at least better than Tommy Maddox.

The idea of taking a team that was one blown ref's call away from the Super Bowl and starting over at QB with a COMPLETELY untested near rookie in Colin Kaepernick is beyond me.

This team is just a legit WR and RG away from being the odds-on choice to go to the Super Bowl next February. Putting a brand new QB in a learning situation would derail that train totally. As Jack said, this is a team with key vets on whom the window will close, perhaps after this season. This team has the best chance to go to the Super Bowl THIS SEASON. They don't have time to wait for a new QB to develop.

The Pittsburgh/Big Ben scenario does not apply here. Ben was much more pro ready than Kaep. Pittsburgh was not as ready in Ben's rookie year as the 49ers are now. Pittsburgh did not have any other option. They were forced to go with BR. The 49ers have proven they can win with Alex Smith. A forced change is not necessary.
Originally posted by socalniner:
He was a piece to the puzzle. How big a piece is debatable, but he pulled his weight and earned his salary, that's a fact. I guess the bottom line is you'd be willing to gamble a bit and plug in an unknown, where I would rather stick with what's working.

Originally posted by dj43:
The idea of taking a team that was one blown ref's call away from the Super Bowl and starting over at QB with a COMPLETELY untested near rookie in Colin Kaepernick is beyond me.

This team is just a legit WR and RG away from being the odds-on choice to go to the Super Bowl next February. Putting a brand new QB in a learning situation would derail that train totally. As Jack said, this is a team with key vets on whom the window will close, perhaps after this season. This team has the best chance to go to the Super Bowl THIS SEASON. They don't have time to wait for a new QB to develop.

The Pittsburgh/Big Ben scenario does not apply here. Ben was much more pro ready than Kaep. Pittsburgh was not as ready in Ben's rookie year as the 49ers are now. Pittsburgh did not have any other option. They were forced to go with BR. The 49ers have proven they can win with Alex Smith. A forced change is not necessary.
Originally posted by dj43:

They've proven they can win with a great defense, special teams and a damn near historic turnover +/-. Harbaugh very rarely asked Smith to win anything. I think the Catch III has skewed in a lot of people's heads what actually happened last season. For every Saints game there were three games like the Redskins game, the Browns game and the first Cardinals game (and, well the second one, too, come to think of it)

Like I've said, I love Alex and his heart but the guy threw for under 200 yards a game and we were one of the worst red zone offenses in the league. What is irreplaceable, here?
Share 49ersWebzone