There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who do you WANT to be QB

Who do you WANT to be QB

For those who answered my question with Drew Brees, he was chosen 11 years ago and he was chosen as the 32nd pick and was the 2nd QB chosen that year.

As for Andy Dalton, he sure looks promising, but he has a few tests to pass before we see if he is the real deal. Anyway, even if he does pass the test, he would be one of the very few exceptions. And remember, we heard that the 49ers preferred him to Kap, but he got chosen before we selected.

Again, it comes down to this: Kap may become a great one, but don't count on it. If history teaches us any thing, it would be very rare for someone drafted as low as he was to become one of the elites.

As for Josh Johnson, he may be another Troy Smith - a top performing college QB who could not seem to be become the starter for another team. When we got Troy he, like JTO, played lights out for a few games until opposing defenses figured out what his weakness was. Then we found out why he was a backup. I think ARIZ may find this out with Kolb and SEA may become equally disappointed with Flynn.

As others have said, the really special QBs are truly rare.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Look at every rookie QB who played 16 games...the INT numbers are always high, its the nature of the beast. And Alex isn't running the "playbook for dummies" version....NFL reads are harder then college reads.

But he kind of is though. I understand that NFL reads are harder than college reads but Harbaugh made things much simpler, no? Alex was rocking a TD/INT ratio that was somewhere around 1.5/1.0. Last year that was more than 3/1. Again, did Alex suddenly figure it out or did Harbaugh make it possible for him to figure it out?
Originally posted by socalniner:
Kap looked like dookie in the preseason. What games have you guys been watching?

It's not like Smith looked awesome, either. Better for sure, but Kaep was a rookie with virtually no training camp. What was he supposed to look like?
Originally posted by GetoThunderFist:
Kap looked like dookie in the preseason. What games have you guys been watching?

It's not like Smith looked awesome, either. Better for sure, but Kaep was a rookie with virtually no training camp. What was he supposed to look like?

I don't understand why you would think that he would put up similar numbers to Alex. At this point, I would trust more in Tolzien than Kap
Yay, Kaep is catching up!! Was 28%
Originally posted by jreff22:
Not to be rude to those people but I don't think they understand the complexity of an actual system. If the NFL was that easy everybody would do it...yet only 32 guys in the world play the position on a full time basis....find me another job with that kind of statistic. To put it into perspective there are more astronauts at NASA then starting QB's in the NFL. We have more people certified to go to the moon then we have starting QB's.

Not to be rude, but you'll go ahead and be rude?

Anyone here an offensive coordinator on any level besides high school? No? So then we're all just guessing here and you probably have no idea about the complexity of an actual system any more than I do. Personally, I read a lot. And from what I've read, Harbaugh, to prevent Smith from overthinking things, made the reads very simple for him and took a lot of risk out of the game plan, which helps the TD/INT ratio a lot.

Now if you ARE an OC or at the very least spent a Ron Jaworski amount a time in a film room...apologies for being rude. I played the odds.
[ Edited by GetoThunderFist on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM ]
I don't understand why you would think that he would put up similar numbers to Alex. At this point, I would trust more in Tolzien than Kap

Put it this way, I haven't seen anything from Smith that is irreplaceable whether it's from Kap or Tolzien. That's my point. And I am an Alex fan.

Put it this way, I haven't seen anything from Smith that is irreplaceable whether it's from Kap or Tolzien. That's my point. And I am an Alex fan.

I feel the same way. In fact I'd dare to say that sincwe Kaep knows the system Harbaugh could open it up a bit because he has a stronger arm. I would be ok with more TD production and a couple more INT's in his learning process. I just don't see how there could be much drop off, Smith isn't exactly a pro-bowl QB or even close to being one.

And I would be more than happy if Kap wins the starting job this season. Based on what I've seen of him so far, I just don't see it happening. Honestly ask yourself, if you had to win a game right now, would you seriously choose Kap over Alex? With Kap we win maybe 9 games, Alex we're in the playoffs without a doubt.
NinerFan818, are you Kaepernick's dad or something? He stinks, to put it bluntly. We already have a great QB willing to accept a lowball offer which will bevery team friendly. I don't see the problem?
NOT eff'n Tebow!
And I would be more than happy if Kap wins the starting job this season. Based on what I've seen of him so far, I just don't see it happening. Honestly ask yourself, if you had to win a game right now, would you seriously choose Kap over Alex? With Kap we win maybe 9 games, Alex we're in the playoffs without a doubt.

If we have the same defense, special teams and turnover plus/minus, we're in the playoffs no doubt. Alex Smith was not the reason why this team went 13-3 last year. People seem to forget that.

You're right, if I had to pick, I would pick Alex. But not because he's indispensable.
First off HELL NO Tebow! Now then.. A Smith needs to sign get over his butt sore over the Manning persuit, like he compaires in talent, plus Niners had a 3 yr offfer to him for several weeks...get over yourself Smith you need us ALOT more than we need you. FO should lower his contract #s the longer he holds out. FO has all the leverage in this game he's playing. If he signs then he is starter unless Kaep lights it up in OTA's/preseason. With more weapons at WR and 2nd yr with Harb he should progress nicely.

Get it done Niners time to get #6
[ Edited by 9erfreak on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM ]

If we have the same defense, special teams and turnover plus/minus, we're in the playoffs no doubt. Alex Smith was not the reason why this team went 13-3 last year. People seem to forget that.

You're right, if I had to pick, I would pick Alex. But not because he's indispensable.

He was a piece to the puzzle. How big a piece is debatable, but he pulled his weight and earned his salary, that's a fact. I guess the bottom line is you'd be willing to gamble a bit and plug in an unknown, where I would rather stick with what's working.
I think we're gonna get Tebowed!