There are 178 users in the forums

Who do you WANT to be QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who do you WANT to be QB

• Jiks
Originally posted by GetoThunderFist:
I asked this before in this thread and I don't think it was answered. Forgive me if it was. But what does Alex Smith do, exactly, that Kaepernick can't?. I will always love Smith for the Catch III but that was one game. If Kaepernick ran the same make no mistakes offense that cut down on the amount of decisions to be made on each snap, why couldn't he do the same?

How do you know Kaepernick is going to work out? There is no solid gaurantee's that the kid can even play. What if he comes in and completely stinks it up, then what do we do. With Alex we least know at the very least we are getting experience and a vet presence. If Alex comes in and sucks it up, guess who's right there to clean up his mess.

But I'm a firm believer Alex would continue to improve. I don't see how people can say he has hit his ceiling when he has gotten better every single year he has played. What makes people think he won't this season, especially staying in his first offense for a full off season.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If Alex can lead us to within a KW fumble of the Super Bowl, despite ALL the ENORMOUS obstacles faced last year with the off-season, etc. ... then I'm dang sure I would like to have him show what he can do with a year under his belt in the Harbaugh WCO and none of the obstacles he had last year.

This year, he actually has receivers to throw to... Moss, Crabtree, Manningham is WAY.. WAAAAY better than all of the following combos:

Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn
Crabtree, Ginn, Swain
Crabtree, Swain, Williams - NFCCG

Stop making sense. Hopefully your opinion and "star" status on these forums will help the logic sink in a little better.

I know...I ask too much.

Again...... THIS!!!
Offer the Colts Kaep & our entire 2012 draft for... Luck!
Originally posted by jreff22:
easiest answer is keep the INT numbers low

But couldn't Kaepernick do the same if given the same offense to run? Alex Smith didn't suddenly learn how to be more efficient with the ball.

Smith can hand it off without running into the RBs at least. Plus he has a prettier touch pass and has a decent amount of clutchness. It remains to be seen what Kaepernick has from a mental standpoint, although I didn't like what I saw in his limited time. Way too jittery, still had problems under center. We'll see how he is in training camp.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by verb1der:

I wouldn't be upset if they went this route. Let's see what the kid can do.

He's got cool tats, he must be pretty good.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If Alex can lead us to within a KW fumble of the Super Bowl, despite ALL the ENORMOUS obstacles faced last year with the off-season, etc. ... then I'm dang sure I would like to have him show what he can do with a year under his belt in the Harbaugh WCO and none of the obstacles he had last year.

This year, he actually has receivers to throw to... Moss, Crabtree, Manningham is WAY.. WAAAAY better than all of the following combos:

Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn
Crabtree, Ginn, Swain
Crabtree, Swain, Williams - NFCCG

Stop making sense. Hopefully your opinion and "star" status on these forums will help the logic sink in a little better.

I know...I ask too much.

this is exactly what ive been saying..... no ones saying HERE ALEX TAKE THIS TEAM FOR 10 YEARS... no we want to see 1 more year since he just got us to the NFC championship game.... obviousley not him by himself, but he started all 16 games, and had a 100.00 qb rating in the playoffs 500yds 5 td's..... if he declines this next year or doesnt outperform last year then by all means... get rid of him... but there is definite reasoning why we should have him back for 1 more year.

Agreed! Alex has earned a 4/5 year deal with 10-15 mil guaranteed. If for no other reason, the Saints game. If his play doesn't equal last year, we can get rid of him before next season. His stats and team oriented personality, especially after what he has played through the last 6 years (not to mention the fact that he has always taken the high road on all issues thus far...i.e Nolan,Singletary ......) have put him a place that deserves the starting job).

If he is better or as good as he was last year, keep on bringing him back. He is only 27 yrs old and the rest of the players on the team have a deep respect for the man (young man).
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
How do you know Kaepernick is going to work out? There is no solid gaurantee's that the kid can even play. What if he comes in and completely stinks it up, then what do we do. With Alex we least know at the very least we are getting experience and a vet presence. If Alex comes in and sucks it up, guess who's right there to clean up his mess.

But I'm a firm believer Alex would continue to improve. I don't see how people can say he has hit his ceiling when he has gotten better every single year he has played. What makes people think he won't this season, especially staying in his first offense for a full off season.

I don't know if Kaepernick is going to work out. I didn't know if Alex Smith was going to work out last year...nobody did. I like Al, love his heart. He did a great job last year. But his renaissance was frankly due mostly to his coaching and the scheme he was asked to run which made ball security a premium and limited the opportunity to actually make mistakes. I think he'll improve, sure, but can you win a championship with him, honestly? I hope so. I certainly would welcome him back but I don't think what he does is so irreplaceable.
The son of GOD, Tim Tebow
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Smith can hand it off without running into the RBs at least. Plus he has a prettier touch pass and has a decent amount of clutchness. It remains to be seen what Kaepernick has from a mental standpoint, although I didn't like what I saw in his limited time. Way too jittery, still had problems under center. We'll see how he is in training camp.

I think Kaep can hand it off to the RBs cleanly by now, no? The key here is limited time. Smith looked just as jittery when he was shuffled in and out, if not more so. But when he was given an offense that he could run, one that fit his strengths and minimized his weaknesses, he suddenly looked not so jittery.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I would like Alex Smith to our starting quarterback for the 2012 season.

I believe that his game will continue to improve.
He will have a complete off season to build on the knowledge gained last year.

If the offensive line improves, Smith will take less sacks and that should mean a better offense.

If the receiving corps gets better, and so far it looks like it has, the team should improve on third down conversions and in the red zone.

With Smith as our quarterback, we should win the division next year, but I do not think our record will be as good.

CK needs more time to develop, but if Smith does not resign, CK would be the starter--and I would support him.

If CK is the starter, it will be more difficult to win the division, but by no means would it be impossible.

Just my two cents.

Originally posted by 11ThrowItNDaDirt:
I have been on this forum for years and never registered until now. Alex is fools gold. He has been stealing money for years and has not produced ANYTHING. He has wasted Gores career. He has killed (2) coaches careers. I don't think he has ever thrown for over 300 yards, which by todays QB standards is nothing. He holds on to the ball and takes unnecessary sacks. The defense has been good for years, but due to his lack of production they haven't received their fare due. He throws balls in the dirt, behind receivers or too far beyond normal human jumping ability. I live on the East Coast and have watched every Niners game since 97'. I have yet to find ANY Niners fan up and done the East Coast that feels any different than my comments relating to Smith. Can you imagine what a competent QB would have done in there offense last year? Its too hard to think about, because too many people want to see this bum on the field. I could write all day about how much I hate seeing him in a Niners jersey, but at the end of the day it means nothing. The Alex fans will never understand until they see a real QB and reflect on what they could have been without Alex Smith as QB. Why haven't the Niners actually brought anyone in to give him competition for the job? Harbaugh obviously has no faith in Colin or he wouldn't have shot down him dreams without giving him or anyone else a chance to compete for the job. Alex has been given a free ride to get by and get paid for millions for it. You and I would be locked up for stealing like that. Another question for all you Alex fans, If they didn't have the GREAT Special Teams and Defense would Alex have a job this year? If Colin ever gets on the field, Alex might as well turn in his uniform along with that blue collar shirt.

You have watched every Niner game since 1997? Wow! that is impressive. After knowing that you have watched that many games, I can totally understand how you have the fan experience to say .... "The Alex fans will never understand until they see a real QB and reflect on what they could have been without Alex Smith as QB." ....

Since, you, as such a long tenured fan, have seen the long history of less than average San Francisco Forty Niner Quarterbacks, I am going to take your opinion in the same way that I would that of Sarah Palin!

Damn, you are young, dumb, and ..............
Given the circumstances Alex is the obvious choice, he didn't lose that NFC championship game he had no receivers to throw to lets hope he signs and see what he does with an actual NFL receiving core. I am not a basher nor supporter but merely a Diehard Niner fan who seen us win 2 Superbowls with my own two eyes and this my Niner friends is the best team we've had since then and Alex can deliver!

But couldn't Kaepernick do the same if given the same offense to run? Alex Smith didn't suddenly learn how to be more efficient with the ball.

Look at every rookie QB who played 16 games...the INT numbers are always high, its the nature of the beast. And Alex isn't running the "playbook for dummies" version....NFL reads are harder then college reads.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Mar 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM ]
I'll admit that I wanted Manning and I'm bummed we didn't get him and I was ready to roll with Kaepernick as a possible consequence. But now that Smith is still available I want him on the roster. I'd expect them to get their offer up & over the Flynn deal and closer to the $10 million per year with maybe a little more guaranteed money but we have no moral or ethical obligation to commit to him long term after one solid season.

Look at every rookie QB how played 16 games...the INT numbers are always high, its the nature of the beast. And Alex is running the "playbook for dummies" version....NFL reads are harder then college reads.

It boggles my mind how people think Kaepernick could do the same and keep the INTs low. Kaepernick has never started an NFL game. He has no experience and there's no way someone could expect him to not get much more confused than a veteran like Smith.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 19, 2012 at 9:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone