There are 217 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who do you WANT to be QB

Who do you WANT to be QB

Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Bootlegger, does Jimmy Raye even count as an offensive coordinator? He's got to be the worst excuse for an offensive coordinator I've seen in the last 40 years. Can you even imagine a coordinator who in this day and age tells defenses what he's going to do and dares them to stop it? Just the worst ever. Jimmy Raye could have made Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees look inept. If Eli Manning were stuck with Jimmy Raye, he'd be out of the league by now.

Yes, Jimmy Raye's offense stunk. However, our current offense involves about as much run game as Raye's, but with lots more formations.
Well, that's part of the deal isn't it. Defenses were calling out the plays before the ball was snapped during the Jimmy Raye era. They can't do that anymore. And nobody on Harbaugh's team is stupid enough to tell the defense what they're going to do and dare them to stop it. And I'll be very surprised if after a complete off season and a larger crew of receivers, we don't see a lot more of a passing game. This is Harbaugh and Roman we're talking about - they're like the polar opposites of Jimmy Raye and Singletary. I think it will make a huge difference in the second season with a full round of off-season drills.

I remain very skeptical of Alex's abilities. But, time will tell.
actually Alex will return to the same offence for the 2nd time in his career.... Jimmy Raye was fired his second year because Alex Smith could not function his 2nd year in that offense.. Raye was replaced later in the year.

so yeah this will be the 2nd time Alex Smith returns to the same offense and who knows if Ms. Inconsistent will have a similar year if rehired.
hes been a Free Agent for days now and only the Dolphins showed interest but hired someone else.

Smith is the perfect backup QB you want.. not a franchise/Pro-bowl QB.. hes just good enough to win a game. best guy to compare him to is Jeff Hostetler
Originally posted by verb1der:

I wouldn't be upset if they went this route. Let's see what the kid can do.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by fastforward:

Funny, but it's rather strange that before 2011, Smith's problem was getting to the redzone. In the redzone he was often money in the bank with TDs. In 2011, the opposite happened.

Now the ultimate gamble is paying him $8 mil to see what he can do next?

Not quite as big a gamble as putting a Super Bowl contender in the hands of a guy who has thrown three NFL passes.

How much worse do you actually think Kaep could do? Heck he is 3-5 when given the chance in the regular season and he knows the system as well as Smith or pretty close and the young man is very determined!! Gunnin for that #1!!

Who knows? His 3-5 was when the game was already decided. The Bucs were broken by that point. I doubt he would do as well facing the Seahawks defense, let's say.
Again, JImmy Raye doesn't really count. When opposing defenses are calling out the plays before you snap the ball, your offensive coordinator is actually doing more for the opposing team than he is for yours. So, can we stop pretending that Alex Smith should have been successful with an offensive coordinator like Jimmy Raye? In fact, can anyone name a QB who was ever successful in a Jimmy Ray offense?

I don't want to beat a dead horse here. I'm not sure Alex Smith will get better. All I'm saying is that in my opinion, this is the best opportunity he's ever had to demonstrate his potential. He got a lot better with a little Harbaugh. If he can't show good progress with a full off-season and a cohesive second season with Jim Harbaugh as well as a better crop of receivers, then I'm off the Alex Smith wagon and on to the next player up.
Alex Smith took this team to the championship last year. He will come back better this year. his second year in the offense starts in like 6 weeks (Draft and camp Alex). We have to give this kid a chance to learn an offense. my main thought...did the front office make a low ball offer for Peyton intentionally to stir Smith up and put a chip on his shoulder?

The fan in me is hoping that Smith comes out angry this year, puts up some improved stats, and wins the NFC championship. Smith at 24M is a good deal. Bring on Josh Johnson to compete with Kap.

Who needs Peyton when you can have Harbaugh #4 on the headset?
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
I am listening to 95.7 the game and Joe Theismann is the guest and he said the Niners should give Alex Smith a contract of 40 million 5 years and 20 million guaranteed.

Well, I am glad Joe Theisman is not in charge here.

Hell yeah. Don't want him back if he doesn't accept the offer we gave him before the whole Peyton Manning deal. Either Alex can take it and play with a chip on his shoulder, or we can move on without him. Just how I feel.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Anyone but Smith!

REALLY???? That is such an ignorant response. What did Alex Smith do to keep the Niners from winning last year? He won the Saints game TWICE! he threw 5 int's all season ..... FIVE...... Minus a ball hitting a punt returner's knee, we probably are in and more than likely winning the Superbowl. So, what games were you watching last year? And more to the point, what kind of fan would spend time online without an understanding of how his/her team has been able to become one of the favorites to be champion? Please, either root for your team/players, or drive over the bridge and root for a team with fans that love to hate!
I asked this before in this thread and I don't think it was answered. Forgive me if it was. But what does Alex Smith do, exactly, that Kaepernick can't?. I will always love Smith for the Catch III but that was one game. If Kaepernick ran the same make no mistakes offense that cut down on the amount of decisions to be made on each snap, why couldn't he do the same?
Originally posted by GetoThunderFist:
I asked this before in this thread and I don't think it was answered. Forgive me if it was. But what does Alex Smith do, exactly, that Kaepernick can't?. I will always love Smith for the Catch III but that was one game. If Kaepernick ran the same make no mistakes offense that cut down on the amount of decisions to be made on each snap, why couldn't he do the same?

easiest answer is keep the INT numbers low
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Alex Smith! Why does the $ matter? It's not your money anyway. It's not like any of the 3 are going to break the bank so the $ factor becomes irrelevant.

THIS

double this!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
1. Smith 2. Tolzien 3. Kaepernick
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by verb1der:

I wouldn't be upset if they went this route. Let's see what the kid can do.

I agree with that. I have faith that Harbaugh is a great coach and trust his ability to get the most out of a QB.
Drew Brees! It would seem he has been offended by his treatment also...
Originally posted by jreff22:
easiest answer is keep the INT numbers low

But couldn't Kaepernick do the same if given the same offense to run? Alex Smith didn't suddenly learn how to be more efficient with the ball.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home