LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Who do you WANT to be QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who do you WANT to be QB

Originally posted by 11ThrowItNDaDirt:
When the same Ol Alex shows up and produces the Same Ol Numbers will you say, they shouldn't have re-signed him? I can't recall a team sticking with a guy so long with nothing to show for it. I don't think I can support him again. I don't support him because he holds on the ball too long and doesn't give the receivers a chance to make a play. Throw the ball. If Favre held onto the ball like that he wouldn't have lasting 5 years.

So, if you really have been watching for years, you should know that this will be the first season Smith has returned to the same QB-friendly offensive system he learned the previous year. You should also be well aware of the fact that he did a lot better working with Harbaugh last season even though he didn't really get an off season with him. And furthermore, you should be aware of the fact that Smith will have a better set of wide receivers working with him this year. That being the case, I guess I'm a little perplexed at why you would be so damn sure he'll produce the "Same Ol Numbers." Sure, if he doesn't get better with all of the improvements, then your suspicions will prove correct. But, my guess is that he'll get better. We'll see.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Yeah, and they knock Smith of his slow wind-up delivery. Kaepernick's throwing style looks ready made for a linebacker's helmet to be planted into his back, ball being ejected into the waiting arms of a defender. Hopefully he has better pocket presence than Smith to compensate.

Kaps has a horrible wind up he really does. But it is compensated by rocket arm that will lazer the ball into tight spots and out speed any defender to pick the ball off.
I don't get what the big issue is here. Smith was solid and at times, pretty darn good last year. It is definitely true that he must improve on some things to take the offense to the next level. As Gnielsen said above, there are reasons to believe that improvement is possible. We have to sign him and give him a chance. If there is no improvement by half way next season, cut your losses and PUT IN CK! That is why we moved up to draft him isn't it? Yes, we might lose some money on Smith if that happens, but so be it. We have no other better options.
Alex! We were this close to going to and winning the Superbowl last year. Change QB and our chances are not as good. Alex and the WR's will have time to work in the off season as opposed to last year. Plus, Vernon will also be that much better.

With Alex, we can repeat our performance from last year and I expect we will do better. I expect us to go to the Superbowl.

With Colin, I have no idea what to expect.
I would love for Kaep to be our QB, but I think we have to re-sign Alex to get to the SB this year.
alex or kaep is fine with me
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by 11ThrowItNDaDirt:
When the same Ol Alex shows up and produces the Same Ol Numbers will you say, they shouldn't have re-signed him? I can't recall a team sticking with a guy so long with nothing to show for it. I don't think I can support him again. I don't support him because he holds on the ball too long and doesn't give the receivers a chance to make a play. Throw the ball. If Favre held onto the ball like that he wouldn't have lasting 5 years.

So, if you really have been watching for years, you should know that this will be the first season Smith has returned to the same QB-friendly offensive system he learned the previous year. You should also be well aware of the fact that he did a lot better working with Harbaugh last season even though he didn't really get an off season with him. And furthermore, you should be aware of the fact that Smith will have a better set of wide receivers working with him this year. That being the case, I guess I'm a little perplexed at why you would be so damn sure he'll produce the "Same Ol Numbers." Sure, if he doesn't get better with all of the improvements, then your suspicions will prove correct. But, my guess is that he'll get better. We'll see.

Jimmy Raye says hello.
I am listening to 95.7 the game and Joe Theismann is the guest and he said the Niners should give Alex Smith a contract of 40 million 5 years and 20 million guaranteed.
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
I am listening to 95.7 the game and Joe Theismann is the guest and he said the Niners should give Alex Smith a contract of 40 million 5 years and 20 million guaranteed.

Well, I am glad Joe Theisman is not in charge here.
Bootlegger, does Jimmy Raye even count as an offensive coordinator? He's got to be the worst excuse for an offensive coordinator I've seen in the last 40 years. Can you even imagine a coordinator who in this day and age tells defenses what he's going to do and dares them to stop it? Just the worst ever. Jimmy Raye could have made Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees look inept. If Eli Manning were stuck with Jimmy Raye, he'd be out of the league by now.

Way too much money. Niners need to protect themselves in case of an Alex drop-off and having to give CK a shot .
Originally posted by Bootlegger:

Well, I am glad Joe Theisman is not in charge here.

me too!
Bootlegger, does Jimmy Raye even count as an offensive coordinator? He's got to be the worst excuse for an offensive coordinator I've seen in the last 40 years. Can you even imagine a coordinator who in this day and age tells defenses what he's going to do and dares them to stop it? Just the worst ever. Jimmy Raye could have made Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees look inept. If Eli Manning were stuck with Jimmy Raye, he'd be out of the league by now.

Yes, Jimmy Raye's offense stunk. However, our current offense involves about as much run game as Raye's, but with lots more formations.
any shmuck who can throw for 30+ td's and have 12 or less total to's in a season

no chokers need apply
Originally posted by Bootlegger:

Yes, Jimmy Raye's offense stunk. However, our current offense involves about as much run game as Raye's, but with lots more formations.
Well, that's part of the deal isn't it. Defenses were calling out the plays before the ball was snapped during the Jimmy Raye era. They can't do that anymore. And nobody on Harbaugh's team is stupid enough to tell the defense what they're going to do and dare them to stop it. And I'll be very surprised if after a complete off season and a larger crew of receivers, we don't see a lot more of a passing game. This is Harbaugh and Roman we're talking about - they're like the polar opposites of Jimmy Raye and Singletary. I think it will make a huge difference in the second season with a full round of off-season drills.
Share 49ersWebzone