LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

Who will replace Frank Gore in the coming year??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
lemichael james

And it's LaMichael James*
Doug Martin
Originally posted by Mrpelonsj:
we have gore,dixon,and hunter why did we sign rock???........dixon and hunter are good IMO

Special teams
IMO Frank Gore won't last the season. Kendall Hunter is a nice utility back (a la Sproles) and Anthony Dixon is not equipped to slash through the holes quickly enough. Which means that the 49ers must draft a potential replacement this year and/or sign a healthy starting back in free agency. The running game is vulnerable. Yeah, we were thin on wide receivers, but we need solid depth in the running position and I am not convinced Hunter and Dixon are the answer this year if Gore is out early.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
lemichael james

LaMichael James is just as small as Hunter. A change of pace RB but not an every down guy.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
lemichael james

LaMichael James is just as small as Hunter. A change of pace RB but not an every down guy.
I would love to have Stewart. To get Turbin they're going to have to use the 2nd rounder anyways as I don't see him falling to the late 3rd, not to mention that Stewart has already looked damn good in the NFL, is still young and has very limited wear and tear on him.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Bernard Pierce. 6'0'' 230 and runs a 4.39 40.
meh...still prefer Turbin.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM ]
:My two favorites in the draft are Doug Martin and Robert Turbin. Martin's got everything...size, speed, toughness, runs hard, catches well, blocks well and even returns kicks. The other guy is a beast...but still has good speed for his size.
Doug Martin is ideal but it would be a miracle if he fell all the way to us in the 2nd. Maybe if we trade back from 30? In the 3rd I like Turbin and Polk. Polk is a great runner but needs work as a blocker in the worst way. A couple years under Rathman and behind Gore would fix that right up.

I like Jonathan Stewart a lot but wouldn't want to give up more than a 4th for him. Kendall was a 4th and guys like Helu were also 4th rounders. Solid RBs can be had in the mid rounds.

cartwright
What about the guy from "the U" I think his name is lamar miller or something like that?
Michael Bush
IMO, we are holding on to Gore way too long.....Unless we believe Hunter is his replacement, it's time to start upgrading.

If Harbaugh is as savy as I think he is, Gore could be the suprise cut this year when we draft his replacement. Maybe we keep him on for leadership and blocking ability.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
IMO, we are holding on to Gore way too long.....Unless we believe Hunter is his replacement, it's time to start upgrading.

If Harbaugh is as savy as I think he is, Gore could be the suprise cut this year when we draft his replacement. Maybe we keep him on for leadership and blocking ability.

Bold prediction my friend! I have us going Fleener with #1 and a RB at #2. Hunter is a stud but hasn't been utilized correctly...think he could be a Sproles in our offense, not to mention he has the speed to get outside and hits holes inside very quickly. You can use him out in space and with screens and move him around. Great find.

That said, on to Gore. Who doesn't love this guy, his effort and his heart!? He's a true Niner. That said, if Bill Walsh was here, I doubt he signs a LT deal with us. He is not a WCO-type of back. Clearly, he is more than injury prone and has not only lost speed but quickness esp, getting up in the holes. He's also one-dimensional. He has never been able to run off tackle and this makes it very easy to defend him (see, 8-9 men in the box run blitzing between the Tackles en route to crushing Alex on overloads). He has also been getting progressively worse at catching. His blocking last year was the worst I've seen since his rookie year.

That said, "perhaps" with another weapon like Fleener and two outside threats in Moss and Manningham and Hunter being used correctly, perhaps Gore gets healthy this offseason, he works on his quickness/burst and speed and the holes open up again against less 8-9 men, run-blitzing fronts. BUT he better work on his pass catching and focus on stellar blocking again.

Like with Crabtree, until Hunter, Gore has never been challenged either. I suspect that will change this year with the #2 pick.
Share 49ersWebzone