LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

Harbaugh's Offense, and the Wide Receiver

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Watching what he did at Stanford, and what we did last year I am certain Harbaugh views the role of wide receiver differently than most. I don't think the every down short yardage run after the catch WR that is the NFL pro to type is what he is looking for, Crabtree is not a Harbaugh WR, but I don't think we will part ways with him. Harbaugh tends to let his tight ends do a lot of the short to mid-range receiving, and likes to use the recovers as deep strike threats to clear things for his ends and backs. Not really an attractive scheme for many receivers in the NFL.

This makes me think Ginn will be back, and we will talk to every deep threat speedster available, but in the end we may have to draft our guy. Judging from Harbaugh's past I think we will see a team this season with more backs and ends than we had last season, more beef on the O-line, Snyder was too small for what Harbaugh wants. We may only have 4 WR active on Game day, with 3-4 backs and 3-4 ends. Harbaugh will throw down field more if he has the WR's and the QB to do it, but he will never be "air Harbaugh" and that will hurt us when it comes to big name WR's free agents.

So don't panic there is a plan and as we saw last season, it is good one!

Who's got it better than us...NOBODY!
  • dj43
Interesting take. IMO, the fact that Harbaugh has gone after two different big-play WRs (Edwards and Moss) the last two years indicates he WANTS a home run hitter but things have not fallen that way so far.

We haven't seen all of what JH has in mind.
[ Edited by dj43 on Mar 16, 2012 at 10:55 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Interesting take. IMO, the fact that Harbaugh has gone after two different big-play WRs (Edwards and Moss) the last two years indicates he WANTS home run hitter but things have not fallen that way so far.

I think that is exactly what he wants, home run hitter only! Leave all the dirty work to the big guys, you would think more WR would like that, but I guess not.
  • dj43
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Interesting take. IMO, the fact that Harbaugh has gone after two different big-play WRs (Edwards and Moss) the last two years indicates he WANTS home run hitter but things have not fallen that way so far.

I think that is exactly what he wants, home run hitter only! Leave all the dirty work to the big guys, you would think more WR would like that, but I guess not.

Big tall guys like Graham and Gronkowski are certainly a big part of any good passing offense. However, so is the guy who can "take the lid off" the defense. That was the talk about what Ginn was supposed to do. It is clear they are not going to pay a #3 like Manningham #1 money just because he is better than what is already here. I agree with that approach.

I expect Baalke to take a shot at a home run hitter with the 2nd or 3rd round pick. The #1 is straight BPA in my judgement and perhaps that will be Fleener.
Makes sense when you look at some of plays last year. Which means we need Mike Wallace!
[ Edited by Squidp on Mar 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Watching what he did at Stanford, and what we did last year I am certain Harbaugh views the role of wide receiver differently than most. I don't think the every down short yardage run after the catch WR that is the NFL pro to type is what he is looking for, Crabtree is not a Harbaugh WR, but I don't think we will part ways with him. Harbaugh tends to let his tight ends do a lot of the short to mid-range receiving, and likes to use the recovers as deep strike threats to clear things for his ends and backs. Not really an attractive scheme for many receivers in the NFL.

This makes me think Ginn will be back, and we will talk to every deep threat speedster available, but in the end we may have to draft our guy. Judging from Harbaugh's past I think we will see a team this season with more backs and ends than we had last season, more beef on the O-line, Snyder was too small for what Harbaugh wants. We may only have 4 WR active on Game day, with 3-4 backs and 3-4 ends. Harbaugh will throw down field more if he has the WR's and the QB to do it, but he will never be "air Harbaugh" and that will hurt us when it comes to big name WR's free agents.

So don't panic there is a plan and as we saw last season, it is good one!n

Who's got it better than us...NOBODY!

Completely agree. His O is never gonna be sexy running or passing. Look at his playing and coaching background. Michingan, Chicago, Indy? It was grind it out ball with a deep throw just to keep the D honest. Its not pretty but its effective and coupled with the D personnel he was dealt you could say its gonna be a perfect fit. The thing about some fans take on free agency is they want us to get players that don't fit our system at all. Manning doesn't fit Harbaugh's system at all. VJax, not enough balls in the air for him. By the design of our O, we won't be at the top of those players list and if you do get one ya better hope they are a team player. That is what worries me about Moss and makes me question Crabtree's motivation here. Simply put, Harbaugh wants pieces and role players, not stars.
Good post.

My take is similar to yours. JH is VERY smart.

You play the hand your dealt - that's what he did all last season. We didn't have the WR who could get seperation so he beat the other teams with a VERY solid running game. When they really stacked the line he passed - like in the 1st Giants game.

If we have better weapons, faster receivers, we'll see more complex game plans.

I feel; so confident in the management and approach Baalke/JH take.
With the Niners suddenly in the Manning hunt, I think B Lloyd is rethinking his options, Think about this,
Maning throwing to Davis, and Fleaner underneath, with Moss, and Lloyd going deep! Hunter, or some other back with soft hands in the backfield...crap who would defenses key on? With Alex running this show, they could play the deep threat soft, and still crowd us underneath...but Peyton would be a game changer back there. Add another Back to split the load with Gore and hunter, keep our passing low like JH likes, and Manning could play a long time!
Big tall guys like Graham and Gronkowski are certainly a big part of any good passing offense. However, so is the guy who can "take the lid off" the defense. That was the talk about what Ginn was supposed to do. It is clear they are not going to pay a #3 like Manningham #1 money just because he is better than what is already here. I agree with that approach.

I expect Baalke to take a shot at a home run hitter with the 2nd or 3rd round pick. The #1 is straight BPA in my judgement and perhaps that will be Fleener.

Manningham is not better than what we already have in Crabtree.
Crabtree + Manning...no need for Manningham. He only had like 28 receptions last year. What a joke.

I wouldnt mind bringing in Cotchery. Solid hands, hes tough, great on Special Teams and can add a different dimension to the offense
i don't know why we don't go after wallace from Pitt....
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

Manningham is not better than what we already have in Crabtree.

Manningham is a replacement for Morgan, IMO. Not better than Crabtree. I didn't phrase my post correctly. I expect Manningham to be the #3 guy behind a top draft pick.
I hope we bring back Ginn...

I need dat 97 speed.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
So do you all think he will try to open up the playbook for AS and allow him to pass more down field?
Share 49ersWebzone