There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

FA effects on the Draft.

Looks like WR and CB are being addressed in FA.

Snyder and Chilo are gone, but RG looks like it might be pretty solid with Leonard Davis and maybe Kilgore in the swing.

So at this point, I'm hoping we get Fleener @ #30. Davis and Fleener at TE would be nasty with crabs and moss outside. Walker could assume more of an H-back role (just like he did early last season) with Miller as our pure FB.

After Fleener, and possibly a young WR and RB, look to add more depth on D. We'll need another OLB if we cut Haralson and another ILB if we lose Grant, though I hope we can keep them both. Need more depth along the Dline too. It's nice to be able to draft BPA to groom behind out starters at this point--a luxury this team hasn't enjoyed for a long time.
I'm thinking maybe The Niners do target a RG (or C) - Davis didn't play at all last year (even on The Lions OL ! And he hasn't signed) and who knows with Kilgore ?

Rather have a starting RG than a complimentary TE, still have nightmares about that Ravens game - not a sexy pick granted but wouldn't it be great to (hopefully) fix that position ? Especially with all of the WRs being targeted in free agency ?
DECASTRO
RG, WR, BAP x 7

Side note, all the FA signing the 9ers have had so far were all FA last year, so we should definitely get some comp picks next year. Looks like they are filling holes in case this years draft picks don't pan out.
[ Edited by LottOfDefense on Mar 14, 2012 at 4:07 PM ]
wouldn't they have to trade up to get him ? Can't see that happening for a guard.

Anyone wiser than I (which isn't saying much) know anything about Cordy Glenn ? Will he be gone too ?
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
DECASTRO

Originally posted by oldtimer49er:
Looks like WR and CB are being addressed in FA.

Snyder and Chilo are gone, but RG looks like it might be pretty solid with Leonard Davis and maybe Kilgore in the swing.

So at this point, I'm hoping we get Fleener @ #30. Davis and Fleener at TE would be nasty with crabs and moss outside. Walker could assume more of an H-back role (just like he did early last season) with Miller as our pure FB.

After Fleener, and possibly a young WR and RB, look to add more depth on D. We'll need another OLB if we cut Haralson and another ILB if we lose Grant, though I hope we can keep them both. Need more depth along the Dline too. It's nice to be able to draft BPA to groom behind out starters at this point--a luxury this team hasn't enjoyed for a long time.

We need a RB and another CB/safety to train and develop. So we need help in the draft but we can go more BPA than normal.
If we stand pat at #30 and Peter Konz or Kevin Zeitler are there.. I bet they are the pick... However, we may move up to try to get DeCastro or Cordy Glenn...

The thing is, with the way FA is shaping up, we won't have to reach at #30 for anything. We can take the BPA...
DECASTRO

I don't see our front office committing another 1st round pick to the O-line. A WR makes sense, but we have huge flexibility right now. It would be great if Tannehill was available at our pick and someone trades up to take him, giving us their next years' 1st. Because that team would probably be garbage and we could get a high draft pick next year.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
DECASTRO

I don't see our front office committing another 1st round pick to the O-line. A WR makes sense, but we have huge flexibility right now. It would be great if Tannehill was available at our pick and someone trades up to take him, giving us their next years' 1st. Because that team would probably be garbage and we could get a high draft pick next year.

This, and I would prefer Ryan Miller... dude is a beast! and can be had in the 3rd or 4th round.
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
If we stand pat at #30 and Peter Konz or Kevin Zeitler are there.. I bet they are the pick... However, we may move up to try to get DeCastro or Cordy Glenn...

The thing is, with the way FA is shaping up, we won't have to reach at #30 for anything. We can take the BPA...

thanks, clearly have some reading to do about this year's draft, though I do have a bit of a draft crash on "anyone who can close that big gaping hole at RG", whoever it is.
RG, WR, and center remain our biggest need positions. Our CB depth has greatly improved by adding Cox and retaining Rogers. Looks like BPA, which is fantastic given we can simply add talent rather than maybe reaching on a player to fill an area of need. Tannehill will be gone by mid first round so trading down is unlikely.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
DECASTRO

Would love this but every-time I look at OTC's draft board he seems to be going up. If he falls close to 20 the niners need to be on the phone to move up. I would gladly give up our 3rd to get him. Got to say it will cost us more than that now to do it. One can hope though
I have a feeling the RG is on our roster already. Or at least he could be no worse than Snyder. IF we grab Manningham, and assuming Stephen Hill is taken already, I'd be real happy with Fleener to give us a true 2 TE threat. Then fill WR, RB, CB, OL holes in the draft with BPA.

I must admit thought, I would like to get Michael Bush in FA to be a power back. As much as I love Gore - he was too easily shut down last season.
DeCastro would give us 2 PB guards for as long as we can keep them on the roster, but he'll probably be the highest true G drafted since... Iupati.

Kilgore might be a great RG if Davis doesn't pan out. He doesn't have the insane talent and stature of Iupati, but from what little I saw last year he looked very technically sounds for a rookie and had a great motor.

Still, I could see RG in round 2 or 3 if we take Fleener or a WR in the first.

PS: just noticed I put this in the wrong forum. thanks for not freaking out like some ppl are like to do.
[ Edited by oldtimer49er on Mar 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM ]