LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 315 users in the forums

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

Originally posted by boast:
nickbradley, do you honestly think the FO believes Kap is ready to take over the reigns of a team that was a few plays away from the Super Bowl? really?

Let's be real, there ARE a TON of guys who could quarterback us to a great slash super bowl year. When you have a legendary defense, a strong o-line, one of the top-5 backs in the league, the best coach in the league, one of the top TE's in the league, the best special teams in the league, a WR corps that at the very least should be better in '12 than '11 (where we were still a BS Ahmad Bradshaw forward progress call away from potentially winning the super bowl with a completely depleted WR corps), then you don't exactly need Aaron Rodgers at QB to be a contender.
Originally posted by andes14:
Let's be real, there ARE a TON of guys who could quarterback us to a great slash super bowl year. When you have a legendary defense, a strong o-line, one of the top-5 backs in the league, the best coach in the league, one of the top TE's in the league, the best special teams in the league, a WR corps that at the very least should be better in '12 than '11 (where we were still a BS Ahmad Bradshaw forward progress call away from potentially winning the super bowl with a completely depleted WR corps), then you don't exactly need Aaron Rodgers at QB to be a contender.

++++
I honestly just think that Marathe has his own football version of the Moneyball equation, and it turned out that after plugging in the stats to his equation that Alex Smith is not worth more than 6.5 to 7 million a year for more than 2 or 3 years. And Baalke and Marathe are sticking to those numbers. I don't think we are trying to low ball Smith, I just think we are trying to give him what the equation says he is worth at this point in his career.
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by boast:
nickbradley, do you honestly think the FO believes Kap is ready to take over the reigns of a team that was a few plays away from the Super Bowl? really?

Legendary at what it didn't even finish the regular season #1
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
I honestly just think that Marathe has his own football version of the Moneyball equation, and it turned out that after plugging in the stats to his equation that Alex Smith is not worth more than 6.5 to 7 million a year for more than 2 or 3 years. And Baalke and Marathe are sticking to those numbers. I don't think we are trying to low ball Smith, I just think we are trying to give him what the equation says he is worth at this point in his career.

I 100% concur -- just like Moneyball. But that's not the market price for a quarterback -- it's whatever the hell Fitz and Kolb are getting.

But why would Alex take that $$$ if somebody like Seattle came in with a 5-year $50m offer?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
If they were down with CK, they wouldn't even make a contract offer to Smith.

It is clear the Niners are not committed to either QB right now. They are back in limbo mode. They probably offered a crappy 3-year deal to a guy who should probably warrent a deal similar to Ryan Fitzpatrick (this would be the logic from Smith's agent, Tom Condon). So, they do not feel sure that he is the face of the franchise.

On the flipside, they feel so little about CK in 2012, that they are offering a multi-year contract to Smith.

Honestly, I kinda hope Smith moves onto somewhere else. He is getting hosed by the organization at this point. Right now, we are committed to no one.

You have been a Smith backer since he was drafted. He's not getting hosed and there's is no inclination that the 49ers do or don't believe in Keap. What they do believe in is that they think they can develop Kaep.

Alex Smith is not getting hosed by anyone. The league, Alex, and the 49ers know that Smith is a slow applier compared to QB's like Fitzpatrick. Alex is the only one who has kept himself from being desired by other teams due to his mental nature to need to absorb first and apply second.

If anyone hosed Alex Smith, it was Urban Meyer by making the "ineffective" comment and scaring teams 7 years later to think that they can't just plug him in and expect results as they can with other NFL QB's.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Bootlegger:

I 100% concur -- just like Moneyball. But that's not the market price for a quarterback -- it's whatever the hell Fitz and Kolb are getting.

But why would Alex take that $$$ if somebody like Seattle came in with a 5-year $50m offer?

It's no secret. Baalke already explained numerous times about their philosophy of signing players.
Kaep needs at least 1 more season before he gets the keys to the offense.
Some people must really hate Kaep if they still have a complete lack of trust in him despite the fact:

A) that Jim Harbaugh hand selected and traded up for him
B) he was the priority backup on a winning team (with the starting QB getting sacked like crazy) when veterans with experience were available on the free agent market
C) our starting QB is being allowed to test the open market even though we wouldn't let the same happen to our starting olb or FS
D) there are plenty of starting quality QBs available who we have shown 0 interest in

Sure sounds like Harbaugh is terrified of Kaep playing! He's doing EVERYTHING in his power to avoid it!!! Just imagine if he's half as raw as Aldon Smith or Chris Culliver, we'll be f**ked!!!!!
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Kaep needs at least 1 more season before he gets the keys to the offense.

Unless he's ready now. I don't like the fact that we are assuming he's not ready because another QB from a trick system took so long to develop. Not every QB is Alex Smith.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Unless he's ready now. I don't like the fact that we are assuming he's not ready because another QB from a trick system took so long to develop. Not every QB is Alex Smith.

?

it only took him so long because he had to change systems

he did pretty good in 2nd year under his first real coach with norv tuner
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Joecool:

?

it only took him so long because he had to change systems

he did pretty good in 2nd year under his first real coach with norv tuner

I recall that year and the stats definitely did not translate to the context of the games. This year, he had similar stats to that year (INTs aside) but the context of his play in the games was very different.
They just don't want to overpay Alex. Which is smart. If we get Alex for $7 - $8 million compared with Brees on N.O. for $18 million that in a way gives us a strategic advantage. We can keep more of our own players and for example more of our own defense because of it....
I don think harbaugh is "down" with CK in 2012 one bit. I think he truly does want Smith back.

So actually IMHO, the organization did kind of screw with Smith and other teams. Now yes, Smith has said maybe once or twice he wants to be back and they want him.

Harbaugh has come straight out and said Smith's our guy. At least 5 times, after the season was over.

So how did the 49ers do this. Anyone notice that since the end of the season, all we have been hearing about is Smith coming back. Harbaugh Smith coming back. Even every tv show that talked about us, just knew Smith was coming back. So i mean if u hear that you know a guy is coming back almost automatically, then why would you even attempt to make him an offer.

If after the season ended all you heard from our organization is how Smith is coming back. Why even entertain the idea. I think that also has a lot to do with why we have heard of no one calling just yet.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I don think harbaugh is "down" with CK in 2012 one bit. I think he truly does want Smith back.

So actually IMHO, the organization did kind of screw with Smith and other teams. Now yes, Smith has said maybe once or twice he wants to be back and they want him.

Harbaugh has come straight out and said Smith's our guy. At least 5 times, after the season was over.

So how did the 49ers do this. Anyone notice that since the end of the season, all we have been hearing about is Smith coming back. Harbaugh Smith coming back. Even every tv show that talked about us, just knew Smith was coming back. So i mean if u hear that you know a guy is coming back almost automatically, then why would you even attempt to make him an offer.

If after the season ended all you heard from our organization is how Smith is coming back. Why even entertain the idea. I think that also has a lot to do with why we have heard of no one calling just yet.

I don't buy into much Harbaugh says in terms of personnel decisions. He pumped Morgan up also.
Share 49ersWebzone