There are 412 users in the forums

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by susweel:
Word on the street is they dont wonna announce the Alex deal yet because they dont want to scare away WRs they are looking at.

Post of the year!

lol

What is sus talking about? We haven't had a 1,000 yard WR in over 9 years.

It can't be our QB situation, it just can't!
I think ideally you want CK to sit for another 2 years. Hence the 3 year offer. CK sit for the first 2 years and then year 3 alex as the backup/insurance. Not because he is not talent ready but just to work on his mechanics more.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
no it isn't. and there's a bunch of threads where this nothing is being discussed already.

So this should be page 347 of the Alex Smith thread because it mentions Alex Smith? No.

This is about where the FO is going long-term. And they're low-balling Smith because they think Kaep can go in '12.

well, it doesn't deserve its own thread just because you had a thought.

yes it doese
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Word on the street is they dont wonna announce the Alex deal yet because they dont want to scare away WRs they are looking at.

Post of the year!

lol

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by boast:
everybody tolerates me

fixed!

Post of the year!

Classic post!!! Lmfao!!! Even Alex fans have to laugh this one. Classic!!!
Originally posted by boast:
i think the OP is making threads out of every stray thought

fixed.

Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Post of the year!

lol

If they were down with CK, they wouldn't even make a contract offer to Smith.

It is clear the Niners are not committed to either QB right now. They are back in limbo mode. They probably offered a crappy 3-year deal to a guy who should probably warrent a deal similar to Ryan Fitzpatrick (this would be the logic from Smith's agent, Tom Condon). So, they do not feel sure that he is the face of the franchise.

On the flipside, they feel so little about CK in 2012, that they are offering a multi-year contract to Smith.

Honestly, I kinda hope Smith moves onto somewhere else. He is getting hosed by the organization at this point. Right now, we are committed to no one.

I don't think that what anyone on these forums thinks, is even close to what the 49ers FO thinks. Think about it.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
If they were down with CK, they wouldn't even make a contract offer to Smith.

It is clear the Niners are not committed to either QB right now. They are back in limbo mode. They probably offered a crappy 3-year deal to a guy who should probably warrent a deal similar to Ryan Fitzpatrick (this would be the logic from Smith's agent, Tom Condon). So, they do not feel sure that he is the face of the franchise.

On the flipside, they feel so little about CK in 2012, that they are offering a multi-year contract to Smith.

Honestly, I kinda hope Smith moves onto somewhere else. He is getting hosed by the organization at this point. Right now, we are committed to no one.

I think one part of the debate is if Ryan Fitzpatrick even warrants the deal he got.

Alex wants a contract that puts him in line with recent contracts for similar QBs. He (read: his agent) is looking at what others have done and setting the price point there, which makes sense.

The organization rightly realizes that Alex is not worth this much to other organizations, so they are setting their price point there, which is also reasonable.

More so than anything, I don't think this is a statement on Alex Smith. Instead, it is further evidence of what we already know Baalke's strategy to be:

Set a price point for your players, and they can accept it, or go on the market and try to get better. The only slap in the face to Alex is that they're not deviating from this script for him. He is assessed along the same standards as all other players. That strikes me as about right, particularly given that he's not a special player.
From a Chat Session with ESPN's Matt Williamson:

NINER GNOME (SF)

Is it time to bring out .... Kaepernick? Dude can throw deep!

Matt Williamson (12:51 PM)

I have been hinting at that the last day or so. Why isn't Smith signed yet? CK is a way better deep passer and SF keeps trying to add bomb threats. Plus, Harbaugh hand picked CK...he didn't pick Smith. Will say it now: CK will be 49ers starting QB in 2013...at the latest

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/42919/nfl-with-matt-williamson
Will also state that *right now*, Colin Kaepernick is our starting Quarterback!
There is also the theory floating around that Alex Smith has not signed because we're going after Mike Wallace: We want to give him as much as possible in year 1 so that the Steelers cannot beat the offer. We will then work Smith's offer accordingly.
Share 49ersWebzone