There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

CK starting QB in 2012
i didn't vote for either, because they are just ironing out alex's contract. Kap ready to take over? Wow, you are thinking of the college kap, not the nfl Kap. He is so unready for starter that he will be holding the clipboard longer than aaron rodgers did. If anybody has to take over for alex it is going to be the guy who stepped in in PS and played like....well, a starter. Kap had no idea what he was doing out there, and in the few games he got in he looked like a deer in the headlites. I personally think he has "trade bait" stamped all over him. Tolzien steps in and we have a bona fide nfl QB who will have tons to learn but will look good in doing it. Kap...well, he is about 4-5 yrs away from being anywhere near ready. Likeable fellow, great athlete, but not starter material. Just an opinion.

So no, i don't think baalke or Coach are down with Kap, i think they are done with kap. Decent 3rd stringer, but raw.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:01 AM ]
you worry a lot
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
The modest offer the 49ers made to Smith indicates that they don't necessarily see him as the long term solution/cornerstone type of guy. They're saying that if he comes back to SF, he's going to have to hold off Kaepernick, and the team is keeping their long term options open. I think what the team really wants is to get Smith back at a reasonable price and with a contract they can comfortably get out of if/when CK develops. I don't think they really expect CK to start in 2012, but they do want to keep their options open for 2013 and beyond.
Wow this is a horrible post...

Why would Aldon Smith want to rework his contract? He will be in his second year and some are already calling him one of the best pass rushers in the league.
If anything the 9ers will probably have to start saving up for when his rookie contract expires in 4 years.

Vernon Davis is a team leader, and the biggest playmaker on the offense as he showed last season in the playoffs. While he is the top paid TE, his contract isn't that huge to have to rework.

Crabtree, will get one more year to show he is worthy. If not he will either be released or traded.

We have Justin Smith for two more years. By the end of his contract he will be 34 or 35. If he is still playing at a pretty high level, he still won't be that tough to resign because of his age. I think they will need to draft for his replacement this year however.

Finally, I don't see a reason to rush in Kapernick. Alex Smith was a legit receiver away from the superbowl last season. Another year in the offense and the addition of a motivated Moss and perhaps a Laurent Robinson or drafted receiver, I think we will be a superbowl favorite.

Why fix something thats not broken? Lets let Kapernick come along at a healthy rate. We all know he has all the tools. Athletic ability, Arm Strength, Size.

Alex is a hard worker and real professional. Lets hope Kapernick can learn from Alex in that department.

This method worked well for Rodgers.
Originally posted by Lifer:
The modest offer the 49ers made to Smith indicates that they don't necessarily see him as the long term solution/cornerstone type of guy. They're saying that if he comes back to SF, he's going to have to hold off Kaepernick, and the team is keeping their long term options open. I think what the team really wants is to get Smith back at a reasonable price and with a contract they can comfortably get out of if/when CK develops. I don't think they really expect CK to start in 2012, but they do want to keep their options open for 2013 and beyond.

Honestly, I don't think it has as much to do with Alex than it does Kaep. No team would want to be committed long term to any QB if they have a highly talented QB learning and preparing to take over. Colts would do the same if they had Manning with Luck on the bench. No team with a very talented developing QB would want to even give Manning more than 3 years.

Did I just defend Alex?
If they're planning on CK to start this year then Randy Moss is the worst person you could have brought to the team. He would eat CK alive if he struggles. I really don't know what's taking so long with Smith. I think it's time to start talking to Flynn to at least show Smith's camp that they might move forward without him.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
its not even been 24 hours

No, but it has been almost 2months since the season ended!!!!!
It cracks me up how a QB that no one in the world wants, except for one team(49ers). Is craping on us taking his time like he has Peton Manning pull and multiple options waiting for blockbuster deals. Yeah keep it up Alex.
CK might be a bust....
no but he is totally down with CK 2013 or CK 2014
Word on the street is they dont wonna announce the Alex deal yet because they dont want to scare away WRs they are looking at.
Alex has a much higher value to SF than any other team. Alex isn't going to be shopping around, he's not going to get the value he would have if he had multiple seasons like last year. Also, you think he wants yet another change at offense coordinator? He took the team deep into the playoffs, and 1 error (albeit not his) from being in the superbowl. Build weapons around him, and this time they will be IN the superbowl and win #6.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
your guys' posts are unintelligent.. alex's situation is completely different than any QB you guys are putting out there that has been on the market.... Alex has 6 years were he sucked, everyone claims hes been a bust.. then he finally had 1 good year... Guys like Kevin Kolb/Matt Flynn/Drew Brees were all looking promising.. and how dare you even compare the situation to drew brees when he was looking like a stud.. the chargers situation back then was typical to a joe montana/ steve young situation. 2 great qb's on 1 team and they had to make a decision.

How many good years did Fitzpatrick have? Kolb?

thats the point.. they didnt have a previous 6 years of bust on the resume... alex does which is why the contract is 3 years, and if he proves himself next year he would probably get a contract extension after 2 years of solid play.. i dont mind this one bit and you shouldnt either, it means our front office is using there brains and keeps our QB playing at a high level...

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
exactly, nick is making zero sense.. alex is happy with the contract, they are finalizing guarenteed money.. if we were worried alex wasnt going to resign there would be coverage on it.... secondly... Wasnt calvin johnson just offered a 7 year contract with 2 years left on his recent??? People can be extended... he earned the 3 year extension... now if he plays well again next year i could definitly see us EXTENDING his contract if they dont feel CK is the guy... sheesh not rocket science.

Why would Alex Smith sign a short-term contract to groom his replacement, when guys that he outperformed -- Fitzpatrick, Kolb, and (eventually) Orton get paid a lot more?

Why should Alex Smith take backup money in San Francisco???

This folks just don't seem to get it Nick. Players don't think like hey ill earn in 3 years. b/c in 3 years they could be out of the league. they are saying pay me on what I just proved. That's why Drew Brees is so mad about being franchised. the last time that happened he got injured and the Chargers kicked him to the curb. Personally if I'm smith i'm not taking anything less than Fitzpatrick/Kolb. I'd tell them go head and start CK and see how that works out for you. Smith has the leverage here. i'm not a huge smith fan but i gotta side with him on this one. You gotta pay the dude fair market value.

your guys' posts are unintelligent.. alex's situation is completely different than any QB you guys are putting out there that has been on the market.... Alex has 6 years were he sucked, everyone claims hes been a bust.. then he finally had 1 good year... Guys like Kevin Kolb/Matt Flynn/Drew Brees were all looking promising.. and how dare you even compare the situation to drew brees when he was looking like a stud.. the chargers situation back then was typical to a joe montana/ steve young situation. 2 great qb's on 1 team and they had to make a decision.
Nobody is comparing Smith's performance vs Brees, Just simply pointing out why players hate being franchised and why they don't think in terms of ill get another contract in 3 years. B/c to them time is short and in 3 years they might not even be in the league. In 3 years dude could have had 5 concussions and been out of the league. Pay me now on what I just showed you I can do is what Smith is doing. When he was stinking the team didn't hesitate to restructure his contract right? so now that he balled out he wants to get paid.

personally i agree with the team but i can easily see where him and his agent are coming from and it's hard to disagree with them really when you understand how free agency works in the NFL. hate it or love it fitzpatrick and kolb contracts reset the fair market value for average qb's.
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
its not even been 24 hours

No, but it has been almost 2months since the season ended!!!!!
It cracks me up how a QB that no one in the world wants, except for one team(49ers). Is craping on us taking his time like he has Peton Manning pull and multiple options waiting for blockbuster deals. Yeah keep it up Alex.

Alex is fine with the deal of his contract.. his agent is working out the guarenteed money, not to mention peyton mannings agent is alex smiths agent so im sure that agent is doing alot more than just alex's contract since peyton is the biggest FA look in the last decade.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Honestly, I don't think it has as much to do with Alex than it does Kaep. No team would want to be committed long term to any QB if they have a highly talented QB learning and preparing to take over. Colts would do the same if they had Manning with Luck on the bench. No team with a very talented developing QB would want to even give Manning more than 3 years.

Did I just defend Alex?
you are a realist, which is better than most of the non alex supporters
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home