There are 224 users in the forums

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
he was calling SundayTicket a dummy, which is a little more defensible.

sorry, i get all the haters mixed up, thier names change but they are always the same people. this blather about alex and his short leash are comical. just cuz they wish it to be true does not mean it to be true. I think if they say it enough they really start to believe it
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
umm, the 3-year offer vs. a 5 or 6 year offer is all over the press. If they don't like Kaep, they give smith a longer-term deal.

i thought there is a possiblity of resigning after?

exactly, nick is making zero sense.. alex is happy with the contract, they are finalizing guarenteed money.. if we were worried alex wasnt going to resign there would be coverage on it.... secondly... Wasnt calvin johnson just offered a 7 year contract with 2 years left on his recent??? People can be extended... he earned the 3 year extension... now if he plays well again next year i could definitly see us EXTENDING his contract if they dont feel CK is the guy... sheesh not rocket science.
Originally posted by kemp_j:
On the surface it looks like no one wants him. Once all the big names go, he may look pretty good to a few QB deficient teams.....

Rumor has it that Pete Caroll and the Seachikens would take Alex in a heartbeat....... If they don't get Matt Flynn they may look his way.....

Yes. Alex would be a significant improvement over T-Jax. Per Footballoutsiders.com, Smith is about 10% better per play
Yes. Alex would be a significant improvement over T-Jax. Per Footballoutsiders.com, Smith is about 10% better per play

did you not watch the season and the limitationf for like first 8 to 9 games?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Not at all.

I think Baalke/JH will not overspend for anyone. It's the $ - not the player.

They didn't resign Costanzo - who JH loved and praised openly to thhe press. They didn't resign Morgan when we need receivers.

These guys are WAY smart. They'll get Alex at their price. And Kap will learn and be more ready when his time comes.

I agree they have done a nice job of not overspending and getting the most out of 2nd tier guys in FA.

But at some point we are tempting fate.

This attitude that you don't go up in price cause a player should want to play for the 49ers is a little over the top.

We are up and coming but havn't done anything yet that makes us this magical land for FA's.

Money talks - these guys have short careers and need to maximize dollar/year.

We will go from genius to fools and a heartbeat if we keep lowballing guys and letting them walk and then hoping we can replace them with 2nd tier guys who may or may not work out.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
exactly, nick is making zero sense.. alex is happy with the contract, they are finalizing guarenteed money.. if we were worried alex wasnt going to resign there would be coverage on it.... secondly... Wasnt calvin johnson just offered a 7 year contract with 2 years left on his recent??? People can be extended... he earned the 3 year extension... now if he plays well again next year i could definitly see us EXTENDING his contract if they dont feel CK is the guy... sheesh not rocket science.

Why would Alex Smith sign a short-term contract to groom his replacement, when guys that he outperformed -- Fitzpatrick, Kolb, and (eventually) Orton get paid a lot more?

Why should Alex Smith take backup money in San Francisco???
  • Jiks
Originally posted by rk1642:
Not at all.

They didn't resign Costanzo - who JH loved and praised openly to thhe press. They didn't resign Morgan when we need receivers.

These guys are WAY smart. They'll get Alex at their price. And Kap will learn and be more ready when his time comes.

I agree they have done a nice job of not overspending and getting the most out of 2nd tier guys in FA.

This attitude that you don't go up in price cause a player should want to play for the 49ers is a little over the top.

We are up and coming but havn't done anything yet that makes us this magical land for FA's.

We will go from genius to fools and a heartbeat if we keep lowballing guys and letting them walk and then hoping we can replace them with 2nd tier guys who may or may not work out.
Not really seeing how we have all 11 starters returning on the best d in the league last year. And most of our offense is returning. Who do we need to replace that's so important?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

would you have really given morgan the money or more that the skins gave him? would you over pay for someone like ginn who can do one thing very well and another thing average? do we get any credit for the way they handled the rogers thing? you think that tampa has made them a super bowl contendor by backing up the truck for guys. we kept our defense intact by following our plan and we will do the same with the offense, by taking care of rogers that also means a draft choice we can spend on the offense and not a cornerback, you need more faith bud
Not at all.

guys who are really important are locked up before they even hit free agency. the guys they feel they can live without are given fair deals based on the market.

they don't "lowball" everybody. they go about it systematically.

Why would Alex Smith sign a short-term contract to groom his replacement, when guys that he outperformed -- Fitzpatrick, Kolb, and (eventually) Orton get paid a lot more?

because he had 5 years of suck, not counting his injured year where he didnt play... hes finally had a great season with a good coaching staff.... got us to the NFC championship.... we drafted a kid in the 2nd round because we werent sure what smith was going to do this year and he exceded expectations.. im sure the FO is still skeptical since smith has been known to be hott and cold.. but im sure if he delivers this next year, he will get a contract extension the following year... As you well know our FO has been smart, and since they are smart they are not going to pull a ALL IN on kevin kolb and find themselves looking for peyton manning the following year instead like the cardinals were this year.. use your head nick.

This folks just don't seem to get it Nick. Players don't think like hey ill earn in 3 years. b/c in 3 years they could be out of the league. they are saying pay me on what I just proved. That's why Drew Brees is so mad about being franchised. the last time that happened he got injured and the Chargers kicked him to the curb. Personally if I'm smith i'm not taking anything less than Fitzpatrick/Kolb. I'd tell them go head and start CK and see how that works out for you. Smith has the leverage here. i'm not a huge smith fan but i gotta side with him on this one. You gotta pay the dude fair market value.
Originally posted by lamontb:

This folks just don't seem to get it Nick. Players don't think like hey ill earn in 3 years. b/c in 3 years they could be out of the league. they are saying pay me on what I just proved. That's why Drew Brees is so mad about being franchised. the last time that happened he got injured and the Chargers kicked him to the curb. Personally if I'm smith i'm not taking anything less than Fitzpatrick/Kolb. I'd tell them go head and start CK and see how that works out for you. Smith has the leverage here. i'm not a huge smith fan but i gotta side with him on this one. You gotta pay the dude fair market value.

your guys' posts are unintelligent.. alex's situation is completely different than any QB you guys are putting out there that has been on the market.... Alex has 6 years were he sucked, everyone claims hes been a bust.. then he finally had 1 good year... Guys like Kevin Kolb/Matt Flynn/Drew Brees were all looking promising.. and how dare you even compare the situation to drew brees when he was looking like a stud.. the chargers situation back then was typical to a joe montana/ steve young situation. 2 great qb's on 1 team and they had to make a decision.
well at the end of the season harbaugh said Alex is our guy--he didnt say Colin is our guy--so to answer your question, no
your guys' posts are unintelligent.. alex's situation is completely different than any QB you guys are putting out there that has been on the market.... Alex has 6 years were he sucked, everyone claims hes been a bust.. then he finally had 1 good year... Guys like Kevin Kolb/Matt Flynn/Drew Brees were all looking promising.. and how dare you even compare the situation to drew brees when he was looking like a stud.. the chargers situation back then was typical to a joe montana/ steve young situation. 2 great qb's on 1 team and they had to make a decision.

How many good years did Fitzpatrick have? Kolb?

How many good years did Fitzpatrick have? Kolb?

thats the point.. they didnt have a previous 6 years of bust on the resume... alex does which is why the contract is 3 years, and if he proves himself next year he would probably get a contract extension after 2 years of solid play.. i dont mind this one bit and you shouldnt either, it means our front office is using there brains and keeps our QB playing at a high level...
Share 49ersWebzone