There are 224 users in the forums

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

Originally posted by boast:
nickbradley, do you honestly think the FO believes Kap is ready to take over the reigns of a team that was a few plays away from the Super Bowl? really?

Our success last year was a product of defense and special teams, along with a ball control offense (a solid but not great running game) which limited turnovers and, within that context, also relied heavily upon D and ST to compensate for an overall lack of productivity. Passing offense was amongst the leagues worst.

Granting the inadequacy at WR, the front office is showing that it has at least some confidence in Kaepernick being the guy, if the reports/rumors about contract length are correct. It's a combination of both not overpaying in light Smith's limitations, as well as confidence in the guy they made quite an investment in---remember, this was basically Harbaugh's guy.
You have to realize there's an opportunity cost to NOT playing Kaepernick, and I'd say its visibly higher than not going forward with Alex.

All this talk about them wanting to stretch the field makes me wonder, just a bit, if they're dying to see Kaepernick launching some to Moss. (& Mike Wallace?!)
Refraining from getting too Maddeny here, but imagine Moss, Lloyd/Wallace, and Davis going deeeep for Kaep..that'll take a defenses top off.

I'm pretty sure this FO has enough confidence in itself to not be concerned about starting the year with Kaep. They traded up in the second for him, and Harbaugh now has an offseason to work with him. It's not irrational to think they might feel OK about him being the guy, if, of course, they surround him with weapons.

II do think, however, Smith will ultimately be back. But this must be a tough issue for Harbaalke, I'm glad its not mine. (if it was I'd go with Kaep!)
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Mar 15, 2012 at 1:08 AM ]
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
Our success last year was a product of defense and special teams, along with a ball control offense (a solid but not great running game) which limited turnovers and, within that context, also relied heavily upon D and ST to compensate for an overall lack of productivity. Passing offense was amongst the leagues worst.

Granting the inadequacy at WR, the front office is showing that it has at least some confidence in Kaepernick being the guy, if the reports/rumors about contract length are correct. It's a combination of both not overpaying in light Smith's limitations, as well as confidence in the guy they made quite an investment in---remember, this was basically Harbaugh's guy.
You have to realize there's an opportunity cost to NOT playing Kaepernick, and I'd say its visibly higher than not going forward with Alex.

All this talk about them wanting to stretch the field makes me wonder, just a bit, if they're dying to see Kaepernick launching some to Moss. (& Mike Wallace?!)
Refraining from getting too Maddeny here, but imagine Moss, Lloyd/Wallace, and Davis going deeeep for Kaep..that'll take a defenses top off.

I'm pretty sure this FO has enough confidence in itself to not be concerned about starting the year with Kaep. They traded up in the second for him, and Harbaugh now has an offseason to work with him. It's not irrational to think they might feel OK about him being the guy, if, of course, they surround him with weapons.

II do think, however, Smith will ultimately be back. But this must be a tough issue for Harbaalke, I'm glad its not mine. (if it was I'd go with Kaep!)

Great post and I agree completely. I also wish they would go with Kaep because I think he has more upside, more arm strength and athleticism. With the right weapons and this defense intact I think we have a shot. Not to think we cannot do it again if Smith comes back. By the way THANK YOU for last year mr. Smith. But this poster was spot on. Defense and ST were the reasons the 49ers were so successful last year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
I cant believe rational people would want to replace a qb who led a team to a 14-4 record for a guy who threw 5 passes ....
thats cuz they hate smith so much they do not care who the quarterback is, just as long as alex is out of town, that is thier agenda,, who cares what it does to the team. why else would they be ok to go with a kid who has thrown five passes or josh johnson? you are preaching to the choir bud
  • Jiks
nickbradley, do you honestly think the FO believes Kap is ready to take over the reigns of a team that was a few plays away from the Super Bowl? really?

In what category? Yards? That sure does make us a horrible passing team, even though we passed less, but still had top 10 numbers in accuracy, rating, TD/Int ratio. And won 14 games. It was part of the game plan and it was very successful. Am I wrong?

I'm sorry I read every post here and keep finding nothing but opinions, that people claim to be facts. "Passing amongst worse in the league" that's complete bull s**t. Just because Alex didn't have the greatest thing in the world "STATS" as far as yards. Doesn't make your passing horrible.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
In what category? Yards? That sure does make us a horrible passing team, even though we passed less, but still had top 10 numbers in accuracy, rating, TD/Int ratio. And won 14 games. It was part of the game plan and it was very successful. Am I wrong?

I'm sorry I read every post here and keep finding nothing but opinions, that people claim to be facts. "Passing amongst worse in the league" that's complete bull s**t. Just because Alex didn't have the greatest thing in the world "STATS" as far as yards. Doesn't make your passing horrible.
so i assume you do not believe the people who say they have a friend who is a friend of a wife of a coach who has all this inside information

also i want to add we were 16th in YPA (yards per pasing attempt) and we had the most drops in nfl

stafford only had a .4 or .6 better YPA than alex so if alex threw the ball as much as stafford then his yards would be significantly hired simlarily if we didnt lead drops his stats wouldve looked a lot better

and we dont even have a CJ like player on our team not even close

those predisposed to view every thing smith does with a negative eye dont consider the fact that niners passing attempts were among lowest in the league---or that the offense emphasized the run and played conservatively because (1) that is what harbaugh wanted to do, (2) made the most sense given the nfl lockout precluded installation of the offense in the offseason, and (3) gave niners best chance to win

they want to hand over the reigns to a guy who has a stronger arm---how many 70 yard passes will be in the niners playbook?

amazing, simply amazing
We will be fine either way. I don't have a problem with Alex coming back, but to think he is a above being replaced is ridiculous. Newton and dalton both had good years as rookies. They were both thrown into the fire with the same shortened offseason that we had and were both successful. In far worse situations than Kaep would have if he were to start this year. He had a whole season to sit and learn what to do and what not to do. A whole season to learn mechanics and whatever other excuses Alex fans will come up with why he is not ready. I would bet money if Alex did leave, Kaep would make him a distant memory in only 1 season.
We will be fine either way. I don't have a problem with Alex coming back, but to think he is a above being replaced is ridiculous. Newton and dalton both had good years as rookies. They were both thrown into the fire with the same shortened offseason that we had and were both successful. In far worse situations than Kaep would have if he were to start this year. He had a whole season to sit and learn what to do and what not to do. A whole season to learn mechanics and whatever other excuses Alex fans will come up with why he is not ready. I would bet money if Alex did leave, Kaep would make him a distant memory in only 1 season.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
wouldn't be surprised one bit if he's not back next season. It's not like he's the reason for our success.

when kap is ready harbaugh will let him play. id rather he sit another year to learn the offense inside out.
i am hoping Kap shows more this TC than last. That and his clean up appearances were embarrassing, and not something Coach H would want on the field.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
i am hoping Kap shows more this TC than last. That and his clean up appearances were embarrassing, and not something Coach H would want on the field.

Still not as embarrassing as Alex's rookie year. Seriously fellas, if anyone thinks Alex can get better after that rookie year, then so can Kaep.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I really do not have any solid information about the negotiation between the team and Alex Smith.

But, like everyone else, I have imagination. Here is my fanciful take on the situation.

The team will sign Smith.

The actual contract numbers will ultimately be structured in such a way that will allow the team to make a offer to restricted free agent Mike Wallace; an offer that Pittsburgh will not be able to match because they have serious cap problems.

The offer will have to be for more money than given to given to VJ and it has to have a very high cap number for this year.

In order to get Wallace, a young, hard-working, skilled wide receiver, (a key cog in transforming this team into a true powerhouse), Alex Smith is willing to sign a back-loaded contract with a minimum salary for this year.

Alex Smith is committed to this team, its coach, and general manager.

Smith has made his money, he wants a super bowl.

A three year contract is not a problem. After all any contract can be extended or a new contract signed.

CK is what he is. The potential future starting QB. He is a young man and working to develop his skills.

If Alex gets hurt, he most likely will be the replacement.

Again, this nothing but fanciful dreaming.

it is possible we are waiting to get mike wallace then sign alex contract depending on what wallace gets

when can we talk to RFA? i forgot how long after FA starts is it a week?
Share 49ersWebzone