There are 158 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Free Agent Rumor Thread

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
There isn't any media outlet reporting this, but you have to think the Seahawks will now make a run at LB Larry Grant. Their starting MLB David Hawthorne just signed with the Saints so they have a huge hole in the middle of the their defense. They won't have to give up much based on his original round tender (7th round pick) and they have seen how well he can perform when needed. Either that or they draft the kid out of Boston College Kuechley and also try to sign another LB.

It's a minor distinction, but Grant played well in a 3-4. He didn't necessarily distinguish himself as a Ram in their 4-3, so I'm not sure those teams (like Seattle) will rush out to sign Grant. They might, but I think he'll be less attractive to 4-3 teams. If he does get bites, it likely will be with 3-4 (or hybrid) teams that need ILB help like Indy, Houston, KC, Arizona (strong possibility IMO) or Pittsburgh if they clear enough cap space.

Good point. Guess we will find out soon enough. I think the deadline to make offers to RFA's is April 20th. One way or another, I think Grant gets some offers before then.
Good point. Guess we will find out soon enough. I think the deadline to make offers to RFA's is April 20th. One way or another, I think Grant gets some offers before then.

Yep, good point GOFD... some teams might also look at his resurgence in the 4 games replacing Patrick as a result of everyone around.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by niners9:
i wouldnt be upset with that, but as deep as the WRs are i would rather see who falls to us. sanu, jeffery could be there in the 2nd or streeter in 3rd

no love for mcnutt in round two i am all alone on this

i dont think he is a 2nd rounder, maybe 3rd. i like him, but i like the other guys more. streeter is my draft crush, i hope we can get him.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Yep, good point GOFD... some teams might also look at his resurgence in the 4 games replacing Patrick as a result of everyone around.

That might factor in too, but he did flash solid playmaking ability (some might even say he played a little better than Willis had up to that point in the season) so that should give him an edge. I agree with m_brock though, someone will make a run at Grant considering his experience and low price.
Originally posted by sfout:
yea thats the point, we could get real creative and move up for say Brockers this year cost us our #1, #2 and maybe our 5th or 6th. Draft a WR in #3 like Streeter or Hilton, sign Jason Brown in FA(he completely replaces Snyder as G/C combo player and provides great depth and competition for Kilgore). Then draft a safety like Janzen Jackson in the 4th, a RB like Vick Ballard in the 5th or 6th and a late round CB or WR.

I would place RG and C higher than any other position and then WR. If they trade up in the first round it would most likely be for offensive help.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if we get brown we can really go into the draft and get BPA. awesome!

if we get broown id seriously consider trading up to top 15 for michael floyd

i wouldnt be upset with that, but as deep as the WRs are i would rather see who falls to us. sanu, jeffery could be there in the 2nd or streeter in 3rd

If ever there was a draft to sell the farm or at least part of it, this is the draft. We could jump up to get a DL like Brockers, or a WR like Floyd. I'd be more then happy if we moved up to get a player as good as Floyd or Brockers or even DeCastro if we wanted a surefire guard.

Brockers is terrible. Seriously, you would give up a 2nd to get this guy when we can get equal value later on in the draft.

No thanks.

Brocker IMO is the best 3-4 end in the draft. So I guess I'll have to strongly disagree with you.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if we get brown we can really go into the draft and get BPA. awesome!

if we get broown id seriously consider trading up to top 15 for michael floyd

If ever there was a draft to sell the farm or at least part of it, this is the draft. We could jump up to get a DL like Brockers, or a WR like Floyd. I'd be more then happy if we moved up to get a player as good as Floyd or Brockers or even DeCastro if we wanted a surefire guard.

Brockers is terrible. Seriously, you would give up a 2nd to get this guy when we can get equal value later on in the draft.

No thanks.

Brocker IMO is the best 3-4 end in the draft. So I guess I'll have to strongly disagree with you.

yep, my thoughts exactly. Imagine having Brockers learn from Ray Mac and Justin for a year or 2 before Justin retires, all the while rotating him in as pass rusher in a similar fashion we did with Aldon
So far, among players that would count in the compensatory formula... we have signed 4 UFA's from other teams, and we've lost 4 UFA's to other teams. If any of our UFAs sign with another team we will be in line to get one comp pick. (in 2013)
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
There isn't any media outlet reporting this, but you have to think the Seahawks will now make a run at LB Larry Grant. Their starting MLB David Hawthorne just signed with the Saints so they have a huge hole in the middle of the their defense. They won't have to give up much based on his original round tender (7th round pick) and they have seen how well he can perform when needed. Either that or they draft the kid out of Boston College Kuechley and also try to sign another LB.

It's a minor distinction, but Grant played well in a 3-4. He didn't necessarily distinguish himself as a Ram in their 4-3, so I'm not sure those teams (like Seattle) will rush out to sign Grant. They might, but I think he'll be less attractive to 4-3 teams. If he does get bites, it likely will be with 3-4 (or hybrid) teams that need ILB help like Indy, Houston, KC, Arizona (strong possibility IMO) or Pittsburgh if they clear enough cap space.

At what point do we try to resign Grant? I like his play during Willis' absence.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
At what point do we try to resign Grant? I like his play during Willis' absence.

April 20th is the deadline for teams to sign RFA's to offer sheets. If Grant doesn't get any hits he may finally be inclined to sign long-term. We should have a better idea in two weeks.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Apr 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM ]
yep, my thoughts exactly. Imagine having Brockers learn from Ray Mac and Justin for a year or 2 before Justin retires, all the while rotating him in as pass rusher in a similar fashion we did with Aldon

No thanks. This guy has bust written all over him. He has ZERO pass rushing skills so I don't know what makes you think he can rotate in and replace Smith or McDonald on passing downs. He is a nice run stuffer but we already have Ricky Jean Francois for that role.

If we want a project with size and speed, draft Akiem Hicks in the 4th. But, don't spend a 1st on a guy who's potential can be found later.

Jared Crick, Billy Winn, Kendall Reyes, Kheeston Randle, Derek Wolfe all posses the ideal size for a 3-4 DE....I see no reason to spend our 1st, nevermind trading our 2nd, to move up for a project DE when we can find one later.

And for reference, read these:

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell calls LSU DT Michael Brockers a "project" who will be drafted "based on what he might become, not what he is now."
Brockers' stock has stagnated since an unimpressive Combine, but he's still being widely projected as a first-round pick. In the embryonic stages of his development as a pass rusher, Brockers' ability as a run-stuffer is what has him ticketed for day one.

LSU DT Michael Brockers ran "unofficial" forty times of 5.33 and 5.37 at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Brockers is 6-foot-5, 322, and he runs like it. He also didn't show up in the top-ten 10-yard splits for defensive linemen. While some teams may drool over Brockers' body type, length, youth, and perceived upside, he was at his best plugging the run in college. He's got a long way to go as a pass rusher.

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang expects NFL teams to "pause" on LSU DT Michael Brockers after what Rang termed a "poor" Combine.
Brockers didn't blow the lid off in Indy as many expected or suspected. He ran a 5.36 forty, third worst among defensive linemen and better than only likely undrafted free agents Dominique Hamilton (Mizzou) and Christian Tupou (USC). Worse, Brockers finished low at his position in the vertical (26.5"), broad jump (8-foot-9), and short shuttle (4.81). On paper, at least, Brockers doesn't appear to possesses the long-term athletic upside many imagined.

No thanks. This guy has bust written all over him. He has ZERO pass rushing skills so I don't know what makes you think he can rotate in and replace Smith or McDonald on passing downs. He is a nice run stuffer but we already have Ricky Jean Francois for that role.

If we want a project with size and speed, draft Akiem Hicks in the 4th. But, don't spend a 1st on a guy who's potential can be found later.

Jared Crick, Billy Winn, Kendall Reyes, Kheeston Randle, Derek Wolfe all posses the ideal size for a 3-4 DE....I see no reason to spend our 1st, nevermind trading our 2nd, to move up for a project DE when we can find one later.

And for reference, read these:

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell calls LSU DT Michael Brockers a "project" who will be drafted "based on what he might become, not what he is now."
Brockers' stock has stagnated since an unimpressive Combine, but he's still being widely projected as a first-round pick. In the embryonic stages of his development as a pass rusher, Brockers' ability as a run-stuffer is what has him ticketed for day one.

LSU DT Michael Brockers ran "unofficial" forty times of 5.33 and 5.37 at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Brockers is 6-foot-5, 322, and he runs like it. He also didn't show up in the top-ten 10-yard splits for defensive linemen. While some teams may drool over Brockers' body type, length, youth, and perceived upside, he was at his best plugging the run in college. He's got a long way to go as a pass rusher.

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang expects NFL teams to "pause" on LSU DT Michael Brockers after what Rang termed a "poor" Combine.
Brockers didn't blow the lid off in Indy as many expected or suspected. He ran a 5.36 forty, third worst among defensive linemen and better than only likely undrafted free agents Dominique Hamilton (Mizzou) and Christian Tupou (USC). Worse, Brockers finished low at his position in the vertical (26.5"), broad jump (8-foot-9), and short shuttle (4.81). On paper, at least, Brockers doesn't appear to possesses the long-term athletic upside many imagined.

brockers only 2 career sacks..niners look for their def ends to rush the passer
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
So far, among players that would count in the compensatory formula... we have signed 4 UFA's from other teams, and we've lost 4 UFA's to other teams. If any of our UFAs sign with another team we will be in line to get one comp pick. (in 2013)

By my count we've signed 3 UFA's, Manningham, J. Johnson and Cartwright. Who is the 3rd that counts?
Jacobs and Pontibrand were cut, Cox and Moss weren't employed by any teams last year.
Isn't the guard/center coming in for a visit? He is definitely starter material and an upgrade over Snyder and rachal. So far we have improved our rbs Wrs and with this signing hopefully ol. That would be awesome to upgrade every part of our offense and that's all we really need for a sb
Originally posted by mtminer:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

By my count we've signed 3 UFA's, Manningham, J. Johnson and Cartwright. Who is the 3rd that counts?
Jacobs and Pontibrand were cut, Cox and Moss weren't employed by any teams last year.

Nevermind, that's correct. My mistake -- Forgot Jacobs was cut. So we currently would stand to gain one comp pick at this point.