Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Free Agent Rumor Thread

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners9:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if we get brown we can really go into the draft and get BPA. awesome!

if we get broown id seriously consider trading up to top 15 for michael floyd

i wouldnt be upset with that, but as deep as the WRs are i would rather see who falls to us. sanu, jeffery could be there in the 2nd or streeter in 3rd

If ever there was a draft to sell the farm or at least part of it, this is the draft. We could jump up to get a DL like Brockers, or a WR like Floyd. I'd be more then happy if we moved up to get a player as good as Floyd or Brockers or even DeCastro if we wanted a surefire guard.
Originally posted by sfout:
If ever there was a draft to sell the farm or at least part of it, this is the draft. We could jump up to get a DL like Brockers, or a WR like Floyd. I'd be more then happy if we moved up to get a player as good as Floyd or Brockers or even DeCastro if we wanted a surefire guard.

Believe this is true! The 9ers won't have as many spots open for challenge this year and may benefit by going after quality over quantity. However, you did mention three areas that need attention...so it's not a single need year.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter

Panthers announced they have signed former 49ers safety Reggie Smith.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter

Panthers announced they have signed former 49ers safety Reggie Smith.

yep officially add #3 safety behind Goldson and Whitner to our needs. I'm happy we already have 2010 5th rounder Mark Legree locked up and Spillman getting his fair chance this camp but we now need to add some good backup competition.
ohh man not reggie smith. he knew how to Dougie.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Believe this is true! The 9ers won't have as many spots open for challenge this year and may benefit by going after quality over quantity. However, you did mention three areas that need attention...so it's not a single need year.

yea thats the point, we could get real creative and move up for say Brockers this year cost us our #1, #2 and maybe our 5th or 6th. Draft a WR in #3 like Streeter or Hilton, sign Jason Brown in FA(he completely replaces Snyder as G/C combo player and provides great depth and competition for Kilgore). Then draft a safety like Janzen Jackson in the 4th, a RB like Vick Ballard in the 5th or 6th and a late round CB or WR.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Adam Caplan: No offense to Jonathan Goodwin, but Jason Brown would be an upgrade at center for the 49ers.

He has played some guard though, maybe we are looking at him at RG

He was good 2 years ago. And was benched twice last year for the Rams..

Technically, he was benched for 2 games then due to o-line injuries started the final 6 games. He didn't play terribly for the Rams, but definitely wasn't worth his contract (averaging $7M per). By all accounts he's a hard worker, still relatively young (28) and for the right price is a more-than-serviceable interior lineman (guard/center combo). Could be a decent stop-gap until Kilgore and/or our 2012 draft pick is ready.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i wouldnt be upset with that, but as deep as the WRs are i would rather see who falls to us. sanu, jeffery could be there in the 2nd or streeter in 3rd

no love for mcnutt in round two i am all alone on this
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

Knowing how the draft works and how we always draft someone no one cares about we'll end up taking McNutt so rest easy

Maybe round 4 or later..........

I like him and Criner so you aren't alone... not sure if they will make it to pick 92 and 62 might be high. I think those two are kind of falling but then again when you have Jeffery and Sanu both going from 1st round to possibly now 2nd round it pushes those guys back. I think Criner or McNutt could come in day 1 and help out though. Guys like Streeter to me are more of a project but might be worth the risk. AJ Jenkins could be a dark horse pick for us at WR in the 3rd or 4th... not too many people discussing him
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM ]
There isn't any media outlet reporting this, but you have to think the Seahawks will now make a run at LB Larry Grant. Their starting MLB David Hawthorne just signed with the Saints so they have a huge hole in the middle of the their defense. They won't have to give up much based on his original round tender (7th round pick) and they have seen how well he can perform when needed. Either that or they draft the kid out of Boston College Kuechley and also try to sign another LB.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if we get brown we can really go into the draft and get BPA. awesome!

if we get broown id seriously consider trading up to top 15 for michael floyd

Brockers is terrible. Seriously, you would give up a 2nd to get this guy when we can get equal value later on in the draft.

No thanks.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
There isn't any media outlet reporting this, but you have to think the Seahawks will now make a run at LB Larry Grant. Their starting MLB David Hawthorne just signed with the Saints so they have a huge hole in the middle of the their defense. They won't have to give up much based on his original round tender (7th round pick) and they have seen how well he can perform when needed. Either that or they draft the kid out of Boston College Kuechley and also try to sign another LB.

I agree losing Hawthorne hurts them big time. If I'm them I don't draft a LB that high... they can be had in round 2 or later. Also, they have Matt McCoy looked good against us... not sure if they see him as more than a backup.

Some good players left and a few really good stop gaps left without having to spend a pick but I wouldn't put it past them with McCloughan who drafted Grant to take a run at him.

Gary Brackett- Colts, Jonathan Goff- Giants Chase Blackburn- Giants, DeAndre Levy- Lions London Fletcher- Redskins Rocky McIntosh- Redskins, James Farrior- Steelers, E.J. Henderson- Vikings
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

It's a minor distinction, but Grant played well in a 3-4. He didn't necessarily distinguish himself as a Ram in their 4-3, so I'm not sure those teams (like Seattle) will rush out to sign Grant. They might, but I think he'll be less attractive to 4-3 teams. If he does get bites, it likely will be with 3-4 (or hybrid) teams that need ILB help like Indy, Houston, KC, Arizona (strong possibility IMO) or Pittsburgh if they clear enough cap space.