LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

we gave up 44 sacks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
^^to difficult to quote on my phone.

Pretty spot on it is a share of blame that dates back to nolan. But the reason you won't see smith supporters give any ground is, just like politics, there is no middle ground.

Common sense ain't so common unforutnately.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I still don't get this blaming the OL. It seems as though if we don't have a probowler at every position, then that position is the reason why our offense isn't excelling, but completely dismiss the level of play of our QB in the last 7 years. NO TEAM has a high level OL at every spot. If there is are teams, then there are VERY few and one of them is NOT the Giants who acquire Baas and dealt with injuries at Center. We have a lot of talent on the OL.

Let us just completely ignore that our QB not only doesn't see open receivers as do most QB's here and there, our QB actually stares at open receivers and decides not to throw the damn ball. Now, those are probably a handful of occasions but imagine what else is taking him longer than normal NFL QB to make some throws. Our QB is to blame for taking sacks more than anyone considering the talent on the OL is above average compared to most teams in the league.

It is even more funny to blame the WR's. The WR has no factor in Alex throwing the ball purposely to incomplete it in order to avoid the sack. Fact is, he looks and then throws or doesn't throw at all more often than not.

As I say to the AS butt kissers, I will say to the AS haters, there is blame to go around for all. If we can cut down each one of those mistakes by each group by 50% we can improve greatly on O. Of course having a QB that has a quick release, doesn't hang onto the ball to long and isn't afraid to pull the trigger is hard to come by in FA w/o losing an arm of leg. Though I wouldn't mind PM, we will lose an arm and a leg. Same token if we had a megatron, he would make Alex and the line and the coaches look better. However, they don't come by so easily
Originally posted by WildBill:
I still don't get this blaming the OL. It seems as though if we don't have a probowler at every position, then that position is the reason why our offense isn't excelling, but completely dismiss the level of play of our QB in the last 7 years. NO TEAM has a high level OL at every spot. If there is are teams, then there are VERY few and one of them is NOT the Giants who acquire Baas and dealt with injuries at Center. We have a lot of talent on the OL.

Let us just completely ignore that our QB not only doesn't see open receivers as do most QB's here and there, our QB actually stares at open receivers and decides not to throw the damn ball. Now, those are probably a handful of occasions but imagine what else is taking him longer than normal NFL QB to make some throws. Our QB is to blame for taking sacks more than anyone considering the talent on the OL is above average compared to most teams in the league.

It is even more funny to blame the WR's. The WR has no factor in Alex throwing the ball purposely to incomplete it in order to avoid the sack. Fact is, he looks and then throws or doesn't throw at all more often than not.

As I say to the AS butt kissers, I will say to the AS haters, there is blame to go around for all. If we can cut down each one of those mistakes by each group by 50% we can improve greatly on O. Of course having a QB that has a quick release, doesn't hang onto the ball to long and isn't afraid to pull the trigger is hard to come by in FA w/o losing an arm of leg. Though I wouldn't mind PM, we will lose an arm and a leg. Same token if we had a megatron, he would make Alex and the line and the coaches look better. However, they don't come by so easily

Indeed.

This makes zero sense.

This is just another example of blaming Alex instead of looking at a crucial problem with our team. Can we try and make critical judgments about the Oline without turning it into another Alex problem. We get that you don't like Alex but this is a team sport.

We've all stated our thoughts on Alex. How about you take a critical look at the oline. You actually trying to make the argument that our oline is solid against the blitz. If so, you have no credability IMO.

I for one think they got better as the season went on but still need major improvement. Too many missed assignments on blitz pickups. I expect they will be a solid unit this year with more time in the WCO and with an offseason.

I also think, Kilgore is gonna push for playing time at RG.
Originally posted by rk1642:

This makes zero sense.

This is just another example of blaming Alex instead of looking at a crucial problem with our team. Can we try and make critical judgments about the Oline without turning it into another Alex problem. We get that you don't like Alex but this is a team sport.

We've all stated our thoughts on Alex. How about you take a critical look at the oline. You actually trying to make the argument that our oline is solid against the blitz. If so, you have no credability IMO.

I for one think they got better as the season went on but still need major improvement. Too many missed assignments on blitz pickups. I expect they will be a solid unit this year with more time in the WCO and with an offseason.

I also think, Kilgore is gonna push for playing time at RG.

No OL is great against a blitz because a blitz by definition is sending more than can be blocked be it a flood on one side or overall numbers. I am not even talking about blitzing. Alex takes more sacks in general even when there isn't a blitz and that is primarily because he doesn't pull the trigger or doesnt see a second read quick enough. It has been a pattern for a while now.
OL has improved since 2005. Give you a good guess to what hasnt.

Lol troll post is trolling
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Inciting? So does this mean I am allowed to retaliate and get his thread completely off topic. God job inc....no, I won't go there.

Point is that everything else can be blamed for so long to the point where we need to blame the key cog for once. I will take into account that maybe JH did cut off half the field for Alex since it was his first year in he system but most veterans don't need this baby treatment so I will also assume Alex doesn't either.

Inciting? So does this mean I am allowed to retaliate and get his thread completely off topic. God job inc....no, I won't go there.

Point is that everything else can be blamed for so long to the point where we need to blame the key cog for once. I will take into account that maybe JH did cut off half the field for Alex since it was his first year in he system but most veterans don't need this baby treatment so I will also assume Alex doesn't either.

Did you watch any games this year?

Yes and there see some when JH said Alex was responsible for sacks.
We're getting pretty much the same oline this year as we did last year. If anyone thinks that a full training camp and another season won't improve this oline is just dumb. I'm sorry if people were insulted but it's the truth. We only had a few weeks to implement the offense and blocking schemes. We did significantly better blocking the playoffs comparatively to the first half of the regular season.

The only change I can see is RG, which I honestly see Snyder coming back. If he doesn't come back in a starter capacity, he will be the first backup to the G and C positions.

Yes and I would definetly agree with that! All 44, no. Half, no. Maybe a 4th are solely on him. But O-line, receivers, play calling, etc are definetly at fault for A LOT of the sacks.

Also there were times where Alex escaped pressure in which I don't think many other QBs would have had the brains/physical ability to avoid such things.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngb:
We're getting pretty much the same oline this year as we did last year. If anyone thinks that a full training camp and another season won't improve this oline is just dumb. I'm sorry if people were insulted but it's the truth. We only had a few weeks to implement the offense and blocking schemes. We did significantly better blocking the playoffs comparatively to the first half of the regular season.

The only change I can see is RG, which I honestly see Snyder coming back. If he doesn't come back in a starter capacity, he will be the first backup to the G and C positions.
Agreed, and it's fair to say Alex improves with a full offseason and better/healthy receivers as well. The offensive line is very much about chemistry between players, and so is the WR/QB connection. With such a short offseason it's easy to see why we struggled so badly at times. I remember Iupati and Staley, who had decent chemistry in iupati's first season, really struggled at the beginning of the year. Snyder and Davis were only together like half of the season so they could get better.

all qbs are responsible for some sacks....there was also talk during the season that on some plays harbaugh would rather his qb take a sack than risk an interception
Originally posted by 49er4life:
I agree with most of what you are saying, but think you are dead wrong about the play calling.

The #1 way to improve the sack stat is to work with Alex on spotting the blitz pre-snap and then switching the WR and/or TE's to their hot routs along with calling the protection (o-line, TE, and rb's) to the correct location.

Now I am not blaming this all on Alex, I think the short off season last year really effected what the coaching staff could work with the team on. Also, it is partially on the WR/TE to be aware of the blitz and to look for the hot rout call, and then to get separation.

That might have been too complicated for the 49ers WR corps last season!
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by 49er4life:
I agree with most of what you are saying, but think you are dead wrong about the play calling.

The #1 way to improve the sack stat is to work with Alex on spotting the blitz pre-snap and then switching the WR and/or TE's to their hot routs along with calling the protection (o-line, TE, and rb's) to the correct location.

Now I am not blaming this all on Alex, I think the short off season last year really effected what the coaching staff could work with the team on. Also, it is partially on the WR/TE to be aware of the blitz and to look for the hot rout call, and then to get separation.

That might have been too complicated for the 49ers WR corps last season!
Really the only guy who ever got the hot route call was Josh Morgan... Davis never notices that he's the hot guy, and crabtree couldn't get open on a baby.
Share 49ersWebzone