LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 317 users in the forums

we gave up 44 sacks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ramp19smoker:
Don't know why my last reply posted so many times. MY bad!

5 times, wow... For a second the WZ wasn't loading. If that happens don't keep hitting submit or going back and try to post. Just copy what you responded with and go back to the Forum and click the appropriate thread and see your post posted. If it didn't paste what you just typed.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Sign Carl Nicks form the Saints. He's one of the main reasons Brees gets all those yards.

Why Not? If it wasn't for the that line he would'nt have all that time to throw like he does. He's was a probowler the last 2 years and a first team all-pro this year at a postion (RG) that we have had a hard time filling for several years.

Edit: he plays LG not RG. My bad!
Because in order to sign him we have to make him the highest paid Guard EVER!!! lol Besides i'd rather resign our guys, and build with the draft, rather then spend all the cap on one guy.

Not necessarily. Ben Grubbs is another option.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Don't know why my last reply posted so many times. MY bad!

5 times, wow... For a second the WZ wasn't loading. If that happens don't keep hitting submit or going back and try to post. Just copy what you responded with and go back to the Forum and click the appropriate thread and see your post posted. If it didn't paste what you just typed.
I only hit submit once. That's why I'm puzzled as to why it happened but thanks for trying to help though.
Originally posted by mike:
Yeah that makes sense, and what sorta sucks is somehow all of these teams with strong OL's get these gem OL picks like Nicks(4th rounder)... Why can't we find guys like him in the 4th?? lol. We have more 1st rounders in our line than most of these great o-lines.

Snyder honestly is pretty bad, it's just that he looked decent compared to Rachal. If we could get someone better whether through the draft or a lower priced FA it would be ideal compared to resigning snyder and hoping kilgore is enough competition.

I know a lot of people liked Carl Nicks coming out from Nebraska and predicted he would be a steal. I think he had off the field issues with alcohol and some on field field problems as well. Although, it's probably with their GM or their OL coaches... someone has got a system and knows how to draft OL... I remember how they traded top tackle Jamal Brown to the Redskins... Bushrod (I think a 4th rounder) steps in and is now a top tackle. So I guess the QB helps but we aren't the best at drafting OL and our OL coaches were bad for many years. Edit: 3 time pro bolwer Jahri Evans is also a 4th round pick
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:15 AM ]
I only hit submit once. That's why I'm puzzled as to why it happened but thanks for trying to help though.

Hmm.. yeah the WZ wasn't working for a few minutes. I would go back and hit the edit button on all but one of them and delete what you posted... just type double post so people don't have to read through all that 4 times.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM ]

Hmm.. yeah the WZ wasn't working for a few minutes. I would go back and hit the edit button on all but one of them and delete what you posted... just type double post so people don't have to read through all that 4 times.
Cool will do. Thanks!
Originally posted by ImaMod:

LMAO!

But for real, though... not only does the O-line need to continue gelling and improving, but the QB needs to get rid of the ball quicker. Guys are not going to be open on most reads, but good QBs make it happen. They don't wait until the guy gets open before they throw it every time. As much as Alex improved in 2011, his lack of anticipation and unwillingness to take risks (Harbaugh may have told him to stick with this one, at least in season 1) likely lead to lost production. It clearly led to minimal INTs, but if you add 10 more TDs by putting up 5 more INTs, I'll take it. With our defense, we would be able to afford a few turnovers if the offense is producing more points.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM ]
I know a lot of people liked Carl Nicks coming out from Nebraska and predicted he would be a steal. I think he had off the field issues with alcohol and some on field field problems as well. Although, it's probably with their GM or their OL coaches... someone has got a system and knows how to draft OL... I remember how they traded top tackle Jamal Brown to the Redskins... Bushrod (I think a 4th rounder) steps in and is now a top tackle. So I guess the QB helps but we aren't the best at drafting OL and our OL coaches were bad for many years.

Very true. We haven't been good drafting CBS lately either.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Very true. We haven't been good drafting CBS lately either.

I trust Baalke a lot more than McCloughan. McCloughan wasn't horrible, he had some nice picks but we had far too many big misses. I think he did a decent job with trades as well. I think two years we had 2 1st rounders under him. Lost a 1st in 07 for Staley but got it back from Indy for a 2nd although we used it on Balmer. Bottom line you have to hit on your early picks. A lot of the bad teams don't. You can afford to miss on the middle rounds but you have to hit early. We haven't done a good job with the late rounds either. UDFA we haven't gotten any big steals. I expect under this regime we start having a lot more solid drafts and not as many misses.

Example...
Round 3 under Baalke... Navorro Bowman, Chris Culliver
Round 3 under McCloughan/Nolan/Donahue... Glen Coffee, Reggie Smith, Jason Hill, Ray Mcdonald, Brandon Williams, Adam Snyder, Frank Gore, Derek Hamilton, Andrew Williams, Saleem Rasheed

So 49ers have as many hits in round 3 in 2 years as those other guys from 01 to 09 (9 drafts)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM ]
Alex needs to see the blitz coming before the snap, and then direct his linemen as to where the pressure is coming from. It's painfully obvious that his communication with the o-line is lacking when we play on the road against the blitz.

Four areas to improve:

1) Singletary drafted linemen to play smash mouth football, not pass block. So Iupati and Davis are learning pass blocking on the fly--which is more difficult than run blocking. The line needs time to gel as many have said.
2) Smith needs to adjust the play better in the face of blitzes, telling people where to block (DBs on line of scrimmage). He did much better as the year went on.
3) RG and C are not strong even with Snyder. They are suspect against good bull rushers, but more time together should eliminate the LB blitzes that were untouched.
4) They need receivers who can go over the middle and help beat the blitz. Edwards and Williams did this a bit but are not the threat the 9ers need.
There were two outlier games against Dallas and Baltimore that accounted for over 1/3 of those 44 sacks. Both teams ran well disguised blitz overloads that we weren't very good at handling. A full offseason should help that immensely.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
There were two outlier games against Dallas and Baltimore that accounted for over 1/3 of those 44 sacks. Both teams ran well disguised blitz overloads that we weren't very good at handling. A full offseason should help that immensely.

And to add the protection at home vs the road and even JH noted after a few games that Alex took some sacks that he shouldn't have.

I still find it interesting that this OL has much more talent and has improved overall compared to the crap talent we had in 2005 but still gives up similar sack numbers. That Olinemen from this team that we think are done go on to be solid starters on other teams and those teams figure out ways to succeed while we figure out more ways to bash ours.

Our QB is known for staring at open receivers and waiting for them to get yards open and still no throwing the ball. Our QB is just as much to blame here.
Originally posted by toeshawn:
Our offensive line gave up 44 sacks.
The rams gave up the most (55), the Bills gave up the least (23)

How can the team improve from that? Will another year in the same scheme make a difference or does someone need to be upgraded?

If you take out the Ravens game how many did we give up?
Originally posted by HearstFan:
For a couple of games I watched NFL rewind purposefully to see how the OL did on blitzes. THEY WERE HORRIBLE. Even in the Saints playoff game, DB blitzes were declared by the DB lining up basically on the line of scrimmage, and the blocking left them unaccounted for. So I thought, No OL would do that habitually or on purpose. So the OL must have assumed the play design was for a quick throw. WRONG. At least as far as I could tell, the receivers were not breaking routes quick to get throws. Even GORE, he would whiff on blocks or release into patterns without ever looking back as the blitz blew up the play. In some cases, a receiver never even looked back for a throw until a rusher was already sacking Smith!

This is NOT a defense of Smith. (As a matter of fact, I hope Smith had the balls to go to the sideline and ask "What the f**k. We can't game plan for this somehow!" But you know he doesn't do that, he keeps his mouth shut.)

But in reality, IMHO, this failure falls squarely on the OL/RB/TE coaching AND the OC. Now, the only exception for that statement would be if the coaching knew the talent was so bad that trying to do more would result in even bigger problems. (I will say, that despite ASnyder being an upgrade over Rachel, he was often whiffing on his blocks).

Nailed it!
Share 49ersWebzone