There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

we gave up 44 sacks

in my mind our o-line blows until we get tom brady-like protection

the pocket is always f**king shrinking when smith drops back, he may get some time but we arent dominating a single d-linemen
Originally posted by PSYKO5:
Originally posted by Joecool:
OL has improved since 2005. Give you a good guess to what hasnt.

+1

If you are referring to the receivers, I agree.

If you are referring to the quarterback, I can only assume that you didn't watch last seasons games at all.
Take away the ravens game on thursday night and we only gave up 24 sacks.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
in my mind our o-line blows until we get tom brady-like protection

the pocket is always f**king shrinking when smith drops back, he may get some time but we arent dominating a single d-linemen


Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by PSYKO5:
Originally posted by Joecool:
OL has improved since 2005. Give you a good guess to what hasnt.

+1

If you are referring to the receivers, I agree.

If you are referring to the quarterback, I can only assume that you didn't watch last seasons games at all.
+1
Sign Carl Nicks form the Saints. He's one of the main reasons Brees gets all those yards and stays healthy. Plus he has already played next to Goodwin for years and he'll help Davis out way more than Snyder does.Then resign Snyder as the back up, he's versatile and can play every postion on the line in if needed and defintely step in as starter at any interior line postion if someone gets injured for a long period w/o too much dropoff. And most important make sure Rachal never puts on a Forty-Niner uniform ever again!
[ Edited by Ramp19smoker on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Ramp19smoker:
Sign Carl Nicks form the Saints. He's one of the main reasons Brees gets all those yards and stays healthy. Plus he has already played next to Goodwin for years and he'll help Davis out way more than Snyder does.Then resign Snyder as the back up, he's versatile and can play every postion on the line in if needed and defintely step in as starter at any interior line postion if someone gets injured for a long period w/o too much dropoff. And most important make sure Rachal never puts on a Forty-Niner uniform ever again!


god bless u. i have never seen alex with too much time on his hands. this year will be different...have faith. as is the awnser.
A big thing to consider is that the 49ers were horrible at giving up sacks on the road. I don't know the numbers specifically but there is a huge gap between sacks on the road allowed and sacks allowed at home.

That has a lot to do with chemistry. More practice = more chemistry. Another year together with the same players on the o-line will benefit the 9ers a lot.
But didn't Anthony Davis have like 0 holds tho
The o-line actually gave up more sacks in the 2nd half of the year.

19 sacks allowed the first 8 games. 25 sacks allowed in the last 8 games.

If you want to treat the Ravens game as an outlier due to the odd scheduling, it would be 35 sacks total in 15 games (2.3/game)

They also allowed 10 sacks total in the 2 playoff games.

Pass protection must be improved, particularly from the right side of the line. Anthony Davis must continue to get better. Adam Snyder, while a hell of a lot better than Rachal, cannot be considered a lock to start at RG. That spot could be upgraded. Alex Smith can also provide his own pass protection by making quicker decisions with the ball and improving his pocket awareness.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,111
Originally posted by toeshawn:
Our offensive line gave up 44 sacks.
The rams gave up the most (55), the Bills gave up the least (23)

How can the team improve from that? Will another year in the same scheme make a difference or does someone need to be upgraded?

Well 11 of those sacks came in weeks 2 and 3 when Chilo Rachal was starting, so our REAL starting O-line only gave up 33.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by PSYKO5:
Originally posted by Joecool:
OL has improved since 2005. Give you a good guess to what hasnt.

+1

If you are referring to the receivers, I agree.

If you are referring to the quarterback, I can only assume that you didn't watch last seasons games at all.

No doubt in my mind Alex has improved since 05... probably more than most of our players we still have since then. He isn't the QB most hoped for but to be fair when people hear SF QB you are compared to Steve Young and Joe Montana, obviously two of the greatest QBs to ever play.

We have given Alex more weapons but no doubt we have failed providing him valuable targets besides Gore and Vernon. We missed on free agents like Lelie, Brandon Jones, drafted WRs low and a few high and have missed on almost all of them, made trades for guys like Jackson who were obviously done. As for the offensive line we have invested a lot of picks into it and for the most part of missed. Not giving up on Anthony Davis yet but we haven't hit really any home runs except Iupati. We missed on Baas, did ok with Staley, missed on Rachal, missed on Snyder, missed on signing Tony Pashos, missed with signing Jonas Jennings, missed on making Snyder RT instead of keeping him at guard, etc, etc.

I won't even get into the coaches. So would I agree that the OL has improved since 05. Somewhat but we did pretty well in 06 with Larry Allen. For what we have invested they aren't were they need to be. They are very inconsistent. I know it depends on the team you play but we do well with 3-4 game stretches with 0-1 sack given up then we have a 5 or 6 game... then do well for a few weeks follow it up with another 5 or 6... and with Baltimore I know the play calling didn't help but no excuse for a 9 sack game. So improved? somewhat but still inconsistent

Edit: And like I said in my last post I am not singling out the OL... it's everyone. OL, Alex, WRs, playcalling, coaches, EVERYONE has to step up.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
The o-line actually gave up more sacks in the 2nd half of the year.

19 sacks allowed the first 8 games. 25 sacks allowed in the last 8 games.

If you want to treat the Ravens game as an outlier due to the odd scheduling, it would be 35 sacks total in 15 games (2.3/game)

They also allowed 10 sacks total in the 2 playoff games.

Pass protection must be improved, particularly from the right side of the line. Anthony Davis must continue to get better. Adam Snyder, while a hell of a lot better than Rachal, cannot be considered a lock to start at RG. That spot could be upgraded. Alex Smith can also provide his own pass protection by making quicker decisions with the ball and improving his pocket awareness.

See my earlier post on this page. Carl Nicks is a pro bowler at RG.
Originally posted by Ramp19smoker:
Sign Carl Nicks form the Saints. He's one of the main reasons Brees gets all those yards.

Originally posted by Humboldt9er:
Originally posted by Ramp19smoker:
Sign Carl Nicks form the Saints. He's one of the main reasons Brees gets all those yards and stays healthy. Plus he has already played next to Goodwin for years and he'll help Davis out way more than Snyder does.Then resign Snyder as the back up, he's versatile and can play every postion on the line in if needed and defintely step in as starter at any interior line postion if someone gets injured for a long period w/o too much dropoff. And most important make sure Rachal never puts on a Forty-Niner uniform ever again!


god bless u. i have never seen alex with too much time on his hands. this year will be different...have faith. as is the awnser.

Thanks! I got a feeling Baalke is going to make a run at Nicks or at least I hope so. So hopefully we'll get what we want and despartely need.