There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our FA - anyone else a little worried here

With all of the guys we have as FA we have signed Spillman and Brooks so far.

Ginn, Morgan, Synder, Alex, Rodgers, Dashon (I know, we tagged him), Blake. None of these guys have signed yet and I guess are planning on testing the market.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Ginn, Morgan, Synder, Alex, Rodgers, Dashon (I know, we tagged him), Blake. None of these guys have signed yet and I guess are planning on testing the market.

We need some money for free agents. Some of those guys are unpgradable.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

We need some money for free agents. Some of those guys are unpgradable.

I agree we don't need to sign them all but Blake should at least be signed. And I think Ginn, unless he is asking for ridiculous money.
If ginn leaves then we sign Eddie royal but I hope Alex signs around 8 mil a year so we have an extra few million to throw at Rogers. For every million Alex wants above 8 that could be going to signing others. I hope we don't give Alex 10 mil, he is not worth that

Offers have been made to Snyder, Alex & Goldson. It takes two to tango. If last year is any indication, our front office is pretty dialed in on separating perception from reality when it comes to determining the value of free agents.

I'm suprised a lot, worried a little. The fact is, no matter how good Baalke and Co are at their job, they can't make guys sign. All the guys you just listed were part of an incredible season, they probably want to try and cash in. That's why its so hard to keep great teams together in this era. Witht that said, Rodgers and Alex would be the only guys that would be difficult to replace if they left. Ginn, Morgan and even Synder are kind of, meh. I'll feel a littler better if they can lock up Goldson.
Not worried at all Ginn will be gone.

Snyder naturally will test because this was the most time he spent as a starter so of course hes gonna see if another team will give him starter money

Morgan has got to be somewhat curious to see what other teams think

Goldson just got a new agent

Costanzo was a great special teams player but lets be honest he would never see the field unless of an emergency so how much does he think he deserves to make other than a litte over vet minimum

Alex smith is just gonna have to except what the niners off because who would ever pay him crazy money. If you go through all the teams theres no one who would give him that much. This year you have whats considered 3 first round qbs plus manning and flynn. Add in the fact that Landry Jones and Barkley are coming out next season.

We are going to lose some guys. I suspect it's Rogers. I'm real worried about Snyder and Ginn. I think there is all this talk about Rogers but potentially losing Snyder and Ginn tanks our team. Can you imagine starting the year and going 16 games with Chilo Rachal and Kyle Williams returning? Think you can win 13 games and get to the NFC Championship with that?....

I don't view Snyder and Ginn as maybe guys. I view them as must have components to a very good team. Rogers I just think we will lose because he will want like $10 million a year and we will offer him $6 - $7 million a year. That's a very deep discount.

Alex is not going anwhere. We could offer him anything between $6 - $10 million per year. $6 - $7 million yeah he will be mad. But where can he go? To another new HC, OC, system, new players, new team. I just don't see it. And I don't see him being pursued heavily by other teams. I think we can offer him whatever we want. Obviously it will be more than the $5 million we paid this year.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 7, 2012 at 11:10 PM ]
I want Rogers, A. Smith, Constanzo and Ginn signed. Then one FA WR (Garcon) and a RG (Nicks, pipe dream I know) would be icing on the cake. Then rest and wait for the draft. That would be the perfect precursor to the draft.
Quite the opposite!!!

We have 10 of the 11 starters back on defense, and all our major pieces on offensive are in place other than Alex, who will sign anyway. There are several directions our Front Office can go. Wait for a 'budget' FA at WR, OG, or CB and our draft strategy changes from there.

But regardless of how we fair in the next few weeks, we are ideally suited for a playoff run with our defense and offense returning most of their starters with some additional upgrades.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers walks and another CB comes in and performs, potentially at a pro-bowl level like Rogers. In that case, we target Chris Carr, Jason Allen type. Then spend our money on Snyder, Grubbs, or even Nicks (but I doubt we put that much money on the G position). Which means that they would target a WR, maybe Meachem, Manningham, or Garcon. Or Hill/Wright/Jeffrey in the draft

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rogers signs, we upgrade Kilgore to a starter/rotational player and draft a G high in the draft. We spend money on Morgan, and maybe Royal.

I'm assuming that Alex Smith will be signed and the terms will be incentivized to mirror Fitzgerald/Kolb money, but when it comes down to it, his base salary would be about $7M/year for 4 year 5 option.
--edited: double post
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Mar 8, 2012 at 1:13 AM ]
Its a mixture of both:

1) Players want to prove that they are worth more, by dipping into the open market.
2) 49ers want to prove that they are not worth more, by letting them dip into the open market.

I honestly don't understand why every player / agent doesn't at least test the open market before signing a contract.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
this coach and this front office does not worry me in the least. they have a plan, they will dictate what will happen, they have a plan b and plan c. if they want to test the open market, fine go ahead and see what happens. trust me, this coach and this front office is not setting around playing checkers
Our own Aaron Rodgers is a FA? Good thing we're trying to secure Alex!
Goldson aside, Snyder, Rodgers, Morgan or Ginn. The others... meh.
[ Edited by fister30 on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM ]