LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Thank you Donte Whitner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
For not being Michael Lewis! I really felt like he was our most impactful free agent this season. Yes Carlos Rogers had a hell of a season, but I think Whitner solidifying the secondary with solid tackling, run defense, zone coverage and overall selfless play, I think he may have been our best signing last season.

Who do you guys think was our best free agent last season? And who do you think might be that player THIS year!?
I think Akers was a pretty good signing. If it wasn't for his leg, who knows where we would be.
Rogers.
carlos rogers no doubt
Rogers was the best FA signing by far....although getting Goldson back for what 1-2M turned out 2 be great
whitner was great, but rogers was better
If Whitner doesn't knock out Pierre Thomas against the Saints - that game is waaaay different. He was worth the signing on that play alone not to mention solidifying the back half of the secondary. People downplay how complimentary he was to Goldson. I believe his signing was made that much more significant be the way it affected Goldson's ability to play "his" game.
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
If Whitner doesn't knock out Pierre Thomas against the Saints - that game is waaaay different. He was worth the signing on that play alone not to mention solidifying the back half of the secondary. People downplay how complimentary he was to Goldson. I believe his signing was made that much more significant be the way it affected Goldson's ability to play "his" game.

That is like saying David Tyree was more important than Eli Manning because he made a catch on top of his helmet. While I love Whitman, and the resigning, Carlos Rogers went man to man every game taking out the best WR on the opposition. This coupled with his picks made him the number 1 FA signing. I hope they can lock him up for 3 more season or 4.

This is like comparing two sports cars, they both are high performance, and you hope the niners can sign them both.
Rogers and this season I think it will be the fa wr we sign which is sadly Eddie royal or a Laurent Robinson type
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I think Rodgers was better during the regular season, but during the play offs I felt Whitner, Goldson, Terrell Brown and the front seven where the reason the team got to the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

Originally posted by 9erred:
That is like saying David Tyree was more important than Eli Manning because he made a catch on top of his helmet. While I love Whitman, and the resigning, Carlos Rogers went man to man every game taking out the best WR on the opposition. This coupled with his picks made him the number 1 FA signing. I hope they can lock him up for 3 more season or 4.

This is like comparing two sports cars, they both are high performance, and you hope the niners can sign them both.

That's not really like saying that at all. My point is that Whitner's stellar play had further reaching effects than Rogers did. Rogers had a career year no doubt, but Whitner's great year was made that much more important by allowing Dashon to play his natural style.

Tyree making a fantastic catch in no way elevated the play of his teammates. It was a stand alone tremendous individual effort borne out of desperation. Not to mention the fact that one play is the exact polar opposite from the season long impact that I wa speaking to.
Originally posted by 9erred:

Umm what? I assume Whitman=whitner spell checked but what other resigning are you talking about?

Then by having 2 safeties that can do everything well in whitner & goldson and running primarily zone it allowed rogers to be aggressive. Rogers was burned many times. If the miners did not have rogers then Spencer, brown, and Gulliver would have been fine but who would have been the other safety?
One play doesn't make him the best. There were 3 Very High Quality FA signings.

Akers

Whitner

Rogers

How many games did a FG win the game or keep it close. I think Akers who wiill be able to score points for another 5-6 years.
Akers was the best signing.

Whitner added balls to the defense and let us know what its like to possibly have a good secondary.

Rogers was good but not great, i bet he won't play the same next year, and the giants game exposed how to beat him (he looked like the redskins version of himself in that game)
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Rogers had to be the best FA signing last year. What a year and he lived up to his first round status. But, Goldson, Whitner, Aldon, Bowman, Justin, ICE...it's just so tough to say ONE guy was the reason...it's the ONLY team sport around these days!
Share 49ersWebzone