LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Depth on our defensive line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I think we have good DL depth with RJF, Dobbs, Williams, and Tuku.

Not interested in spending a high pick this year that has no better chance of developing any better than the guys we already have.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Engleburger:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
I think our d-line is one of the deepest in the league. RJF can play any position on the line, Soap can move inside or outside, Demarcus Dobbs and Ian Williams are nice, young prospects.

Not really. Justin Smith played like 99% of the snaps and Ray Mcdonald had to play injured in the playoffs because of our depth issue.

Dude you must not understand the roster. The niners kept extra defensive linemen because they are quality and they did not want to risk losing them to the waiver wire before stashing thenm on the PS. The niners carried 7 DL last year.

Back up NT, Ian Williams
Back UP DE- RJF, Tukufai (stud who got injured last yeqr), and Dobbs.

With the salary cap, no draft pick will be better than the starters, and the back ups are developing into starters.

Both of these quotes win. The only way I see us selecting a DL before the 5th round is if Jared Crick's stock is still in atrocious shape and he is BPA for us in rounds 2, 3, or 4.

No reason to add any other DL to our roster beyond that. Crick is a 1st or 2nd round talent and unless he does some extraordinary things at the combine I could see his stock sitting flatfooted right the end of the 2nd/early 3 range.

The overreaction of the Draftniks is that Justin Smith is 33 and we will need a replacement soon but I think that can wait until next year or God willing the year after that. Especially to give Dobbs, Williams, and Tukuafu time to develop and show if they are going to be the next RayMac.
I understand wanting to draft an eventual replacement for Justin Smith, but barring multiple significant injuries, no defensive lineman drafted this year can be expected to receive any significant playing time. Unless an extremely talented guy falls to the 3rd round, it would be a wasted pick.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i think we got plenty of depth on the dline...just kinda worried what will happen when justin smith starts to decline

This, been saying it for 3 seasons, at some point he is going to look like gore out there.
get the hell out of here you scam artist
WTF do these guys always show up for. MODs, don't you have captcha or something like that for new users?
[ Edited by English on Feb 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM ]

[ Edited by English on Feb 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM ]
If Justin Smith wasn't some sort of freak who played every snap as a d-linemen, I'd say we'd have depth issues.
  • cools
  • Veteran
As noted above, Niner brass took a risk protecting UDFA's Williams and Dobbs on the 53, with only Francois as a back up that has any experience

They must be pretty confident that these two will be future contributors,
Tuku was on IR all year, but was working hard to bulk up into a 3-4 DE

I think they stay with the same group, with Tuku and Dobbs battling for the 6th spot, I doubt we keep 7
[ Edited by cools on Feb 26, 2012 at 12:31 AM ]
Originally posted by SportsFan:
get the hell out of here you scam artist

WTF do these guys always show up for. MODs, don't you have captcha or something like that for new users?
Guys

When someone spams the site and you copy their post in order to make a comment, you are helping them. You are spreading their message onto another page and joining in the spamming.

For the several hundredth time, don't. Ignore them in the thread and send the mods a message with the name of the poster, the thread and if unclear, the forum. And the first mod to pick it up will deal with it.

But it is so much easier if we don't also have to edit a whole bunch of your threads. Help us out here, guys.
They're in RIDICULOUS shape. Best shown in the 4th quarter of NFC championship. Kept getting stronger as game went on.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
They're in RIDICULOUS shape. Best shown in the 4th quarter of NFC championship. Kept getting stronger as game went on.

All year they played better in the 4th quarter, which is usually when OLines usually gain an advantage. J Smith seems to be playing down hill in the 4th. Love his stamina!

Originally posted by 9erred:
Dude you must not understand the roster. The niners kept extra defensive linemen because they are quality and they did not want to risk losing them to the waiver wire before stashing thenm on the PS. The niners carried 7 DL last year.

Back up NT, Ian Williams
Back UP DE- RJF, Tukufai (stud who got injured last yeqr), and Dobbs.

With the salary cap, no draft pick will be better than the starters, and the back ups are developing into starters.

Have to disagree. If our back ups are so quality why did our starters take such a high percentage of the snaps?

I understand it's easy to over rate players for a team you love, but come on. Ian Williams was a UDFA. Dobbs had a big pre season and wasn't very effective when he played in the regular season (unless on special teams). I liked Tukuafu before he got hurt, but he wasn't going to take any time away from Ray-mac or cowboy.

RJF is cool.

I think theres room for improvements for all our back ups. Ray Mcdonalds always hurt. Justin Smith is 33. Dobbs and Tukuafu might be part of the future if they keep progressing, but banking on it is just dangerous. There WILL be guys we can get who are more talented.

So why not? Our defensive line is one of our strengths... Why not ensure it stays that way?
Originally posted by Squidp:
Dobbs and RJF FTW

This...

Homeboy was talkin' out his sphincter. No need to worry about DL.
They had such a high percentage because they are just so damn good.

If you are goingto drag race some one would you use a top fuel dragster or a ferrari?
Ray Mcdonald couldn't even run during the Saints game. He was limping, and probably could have made some game changing plays if we had a healthy back up of (or around) his caliber in there.

Go back and watch.
Originally posted by Engleburger:

Go back and watch.

... Yeah.. like some of us actually do watch the games... over and over.

We're fine on the DL. How bout we focus on getting some offensive weapons, yo ?

(yo, right? that's the young kid talk, right?)
Share 49ersWebzone