LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

Depth on our defensive line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Watched the Lions game yesterday and kept hearing Moose saying "Lions will try to tire out the 49ers defensive line....not a lot of depth"

Mentioned the depth thing two or three times.

So was he talking out of his a*** or what?
i think we got plenty of depth on the dline...just kinda worried what will happen when justin smith starts to decline
I think it was said as a juxtaposition to the Lions defensive line, who rotate in a lot of guys. The FOX crew probably thought it would be a good thing to talk about in the game.

It's a reasonable assumption though. If you pass 50 times a game and the defensive line is trying to rush the quarterback all game long, they're gonna get tired. But the 49ers defensive line is an interesting bunch. They're in RIDICULOUS shape. As we all know, our defensive linemen rarely rotate out, and they played that game the same way. It's even crazier because they're a 3-4 defensive line, and carry a little more weight than the other 4-3 linemen throughout the league. Yet, they're all able to play the entire game and have effectiveness.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
this is why you have to spend a draft choice on a defensive lineman cuz smith is getting up there, ray has had injuries. we need some depth and someone not named andre carter for the future in the d line and especially defensive end
This is why I'd LOVE to have Kendall Reyes. He's got the same kind of monster motor as Justin Smith, freakish strength but I think he's going go before the 49ers pick in the 2nd round, he moved up from projected middle 4th to early 2nd right now, will probably move up more after the combine. Perfect 3-4 DE IMO.
Dobbs and RJF FTW
[ Edited by English on Feb 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
artist
[ Edited by English on Feb 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM ]
I think our d-line is one of the deepest in the league. RJF can play any position on the line, Soap can move inside or outside, Demarcus Dobbs and Ian Williams are nice, young prospects.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
I think our d-line is one of the deepest in the league. RJF can play any position on the line, Soap can move inside or outside, Demarcus Dobbs and Ian Williams are nice, young prospects.

i think we need to add a nice rookie defensive end and have him watch justin. not a big huge need but kind of a want i guess! i really think they do need to start at least looking for a justin replacement. I guess no one can replace him , only succeed him
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Watched the Lions game yesterday and kept hearing Moose saying "Lions will try to tire out the 49ers defensive line....not a lot of depth"

Mentioned the depth thing two or three times.

So was he talking out of his a*** or what?

Dude you are a habitual thread starter lol

Not really. Justin Smith played like 99% of the snaps and Ray Mcdonald had to play injured in the playoffs because of our depth issue.
Originally posted by Engleburger:

Not really. Justin Smith played like 99% of the snaps and Ray Mcdonald had to play injured in the playoffs because of our depth issue.

Dude you must not understand the roster. The niners kept extra defensive linemen because they are quality and they did not want to risk losing them to the waiver wire before stashing thenm on the PS. The niners carried 7 DL last year.

Back up NT, Ian Williams
Back UP DE- RJF, Tukufai (stud who got injured last yeqr), and Dobbs.

With the salary cap, no draft pick will be better than the starters, and the back ups are developing into starters.
I think we have good DL depth with RJF, Dobbs, Williams, and Tuku.

Not interested in spending a high pick this year that has no better chance of developing any better than the guys we already have.
Share 49ersWebzone