There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Historical: Why did GB have our # in the playoffs?

Looking back GB just owned us for every single game regular and post season except the miracle game with T.O.

Interestingly enough, Dallas completely dominated GB from 1993 onwards -- I don't think Favre ever beat an Aikman lead Cowboys.

But what confuses everything is that once we got over the Dallas hump, we pretty much split or led them. We beat them in their own house with Elvis Grbac, and quite convincingly in '95.

Fascinating stuff. It just doesn't add up.

I think the answer lies in us not having the dominant RB, and the one year we did ('98) we beat them. Also, I don't think GB had an answer for the Dallas running game which I believe we did.
No running game, one dimensional offense, there were some holes in the defense as well. But yeah, not having a running game was brutal, going up against them with Derek Loville, Adam Walker and Terry Kirby.

Had they re-signed Ricky Watters, it would have definitely helped and they would have won at least some of those games.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM ]
Hmm... I think maybe it's because Green Bay had the overall better team at the time.

Hence, the losing.

Holmgren
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Hmm... I think maybe it's because Green Bay had the overall better team at the time.

Hence, the losing.

I agree with this.

I just find it interesting we could always compete with Dallas back then, and more often than not beat them. Dallas beat up on GB more than they ever could on us.

IIRC GB defensive coordinator probably was better than Dallas DC....he used some exotic nickel & dime packages and really shut us down.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Holmgren

Hmmmm, forgot about that!

Does that explain the success of Carolina against us with Seifert?
Because we downgraded from Ricky "1,500 yards all-purpose, I'M BALLIN" Watters to San Francisco's finest Derek Loville
They were kind of like the Giants of today. They showed up for big games, had a gunslinger QB known for making mistakes (like Eli) who put together some nice games especially against a team like ourselves.

Also, I always thought Young was sort of a choke artist in the post season (compared to joe M so unfair). He would make mistakes or play poorly in the playoffs for what reason (monkey on his back?).

We had to stack our team in 94 like none other to get # 6. Glkad we did though
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Hence, the losing.

I agree with this.

I just find it interesting we could always compete with Dallas back then, and more often than not beat them. Dallas beat up on GB more than they ever could on us.

IIRC GB defensive coordinator probably was better than Dallas DC....he used some exotic nickel & dime packages and really shut us down.

Actually, it took us seemingly forever to get over the Dallas hump. They owned us for years until we bought that 1994 team. After we won the Super Bowl, the Packers had our number for years.

We were a dynasty in the 80's... the 90's was a much tougher time for the 49ers. I won't even mention the last decade...
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
They were kind of like the Giants of today. They showed up for big games, had a gunslinger QB known for making mistakes (like Eli) who put together some nice games especially against a team like ourselves.

Also, I always thought Young was sort of a choke artist in the post season (compared to joe M so unfair). He would make mistakes or play poorly in the playoffs for what reason (monkey on his back?).

I couldn't agree more. If you've ever watched Young's entire career with the 49ers (I did) and seen video of Young after he won the Super Bowl, crying and acting giddy, you'd know why.

Young is just lucky there was no internet forums back then, he would've gotten blasted relentlessly. But, the 49ers were patient with him and rewarded justly.
Mariucci
I couldn't agree more. If you've ever watched Young's entire career with the 49ers (I did) and seen video of Young after he won the Super Bowl, crying and acting giddy, you'd know why.

Young is just lucky there was no internet forums back then, he would've gotten blasted relentlessly. But, the 49ers were patient with him and rewarded justly.

Say what? s**t cuz, I was posting and chatting up in dem dere IRC chat-rooms back when I was like 12 years old :P

And yes, Young was getting hammered on the internet, Grbac was the "TJ ONateDavisHillTroySmithson" of the era.

Of course that time AOL was charging $9.95 for 2 hours of access a month, so people would post a whole bunch for like a week, and then you wouldn't seem them until the following month.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

this.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Say what? s**t cuz, I was posting and chatting up in dem dere IRC chat-rooms back when I was like 12 years old :P

And yes, Young was getting hammered on the internet, Grbac was the "TJ ONateDavisHillTroySmithson" of the era.

Of course that time AOL was charging $9.95 for 2 hours of access a month, so people would post a whole bunch for like a week, and then you wouldn't seem them until the following month.

And posters on here wonder why Smith still gets bashed when Young, a perennial Pro Bowl, All Pro, MVP got bashed on for not winning the big game.

Even during the Joe Montana days, there was the BonoYoung faction.

On here, if you say anything bad about Smith there is an uproar from about 7-8 guys. lol.

All this for a guy who hasn't accomplished a single thing in his career. Our fan base has gotton soft in the last 10 years from all the losing.

Sub par performances are acceptable now.
Three factors really. An inept running game, the Packers had great coordinators and a great staff overall, and it seemed like every darn break went their way much like the Giants in playoff game this year. There were some poor calls by the refs that went both for and against the Niners but there sure seemed to be more against. Plummers fumble recovery for a TD that was called back for example. Yes, Rice did fumble too. It ended up making the games disgustingly close in most cases just like the NFC champ game. But, you'll have that when teams are so closely talented. In good games, with great teams it comes down to who flinches first. We were close then and we are finally close again.

Another factor to consider? The Rev Reggie White?