Had they re-signed Ricky Watters, it would have definitely helped and they would have won at least some of those games.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM ]
There are 416 users in the forums
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Hmm... I think maybe it's because Green Bay had the overall better team at the time.
Hence, the losing.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Holmgren
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Hmm... I think maybe it's because Green Bay had the overall better team at the time.
Hence, the losing.
I agree with this.
I just find it interesting we could always compete with Dallas back then, and more often than not beat them. Dallas beat up on GB more than they ever could on us.
IIRC GB defensive coordinator probably was better than Dallas DC....he used some exotic nickel & dime packages and really shut us down.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
They were kind of like the Giants of today. They showed up for big games, had a gunslinger QB known for making mistakes (like Eli) who put together some nice games especially against a team like ourselves.
Also, I always thought Young was sort of a choke artist in the post season (compared to joe M so unfair). He would make mistakes or play poorly in the playoffs for what reason (monkey on his back?).
We had to stack our team in 94 like none other to get # 6. Glkad we did though
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
I couldn't agree more. If you've ever watched Young's entire career with the 49ers (I did) and seen video of Young after he won the Super Bowl, crying and acting giddy, you'd know why.
Young is just lucky there was no internet forums back then, he would've gotten blasted relentlessly. But, the 49ers were patient with him and rewarded justly.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
They were kind of like the Giants of today. They showed up for big games, had a gunslinger QB known for making mistakes (like Eli) who put together some nice games especially against a team like ourselves.
Also, I always thought Young was sort of a choke artist in the post season (compared to joe M so unfair). He would make mistakes or play poorly in the playoffs for what reason (monkey on his back?).
We had to stack our team in 94 like none other to get # 6. Glkad we did though
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
I couldn't agree more. If you've ever watched Young's entire career with the 49ers (I did) and seen video of Young after he won the Super Bowl, crying and acting giddy, you'd know why.
Young is just lucky there was no internet forums back then, he would've gotten blasted relentlessly. But, the 49ers were patient with him and rewarded justly.
Say what? s**t cuz, I was posting and chatting up in dem dere IRC chat-rooms back when I was like 12 years old :P![]()
And yes, Young was getting hammered on the internet, Grbac was the "TJ ONateDavisHillTroySmithson" of the era.
Of course that time AOL was charging $9.95 for 2 hours of access a month, so people would post a whole bunch for like a week, and then you wouldn't seem them until the following month.![]()