There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

He's pretty quick. They have to respect his pass catching ability. Also, whereas he used to be one-dimensional, he really has improved as a blocker. I usually Tivo the games and re-watch, and Walker has landed some key blocks that spring big running touchdowns. I've never totally trusted his hands or ball security. I tend to agree with you on this point -- there always seems to be a lot of capable TEs circulating throughout the league and don't think Walker is irreplaceable by any means. Having said that, I wouldn't say that he's completely overhyped either. He is a solid contributor.
Detroit Lions Game!
Originally posted by Niner915:
(Lock)

Originally posted by BSofSF:
He's pretty quick. They have to respect his pass catching ability. Also, whereas he used to be one-dimensional, he really has improved as a blocker. I usually Tivo the games and re-watch, and Walker has landed some key blocks that spring big running touchdowns. I've never totally trusted his hands or ball security. I tend to agree with you on this point -- there always seems to be a lot of capable TEs circulating throughout the league and don't think Walker is irreplaceable by any means. Having said that, I wouldn't say that he's completely overhyped either. He is a solid contributor.


he is better the Craptree so far , More of an impact on our offense don't you think? or williams .
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,553
some things are not worth answering
How can a #2 TE be considered over-rated?

He's a solid player.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
In before joec tries to sell us on how Walker is awesome.


Walker's got his moments shifting around as a FB hybrid type and the occasional wheel route.. but he is overrated.

How does a pro receiver turn their hands the wrong way and drop an easy, wide open TD pass?!?


The guy is simply not good. His hands are very overrated. He drops passes and fumbles. And he never puts up big #'s. The only guys who think he is a super star are Joecool and Susweel. And the only thing keeping him back from stardom is the QB throwing to him. Funny the same QB didn't hold back VD from stardom or Pro Bowls or big #'s.... People fell in love with him because he has some speed. Ableit not as much as VD. But he doesn't play anywhere near his timed speed. He looks slower and more sluggish out there.

In a day and age where all these teams have 6'5", 6'6", 6'7" TE's and WR's we have the shortest guys in the league. The game is played in the air now with all the rule changes. I'd say dump him and pick up Fleener. Our team would be better. And I expect Fleener to be the better player in the NFL.

To answer the original question he is among the most overrated 49ers.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM ]
Originally posted by mjo116:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
To answer your question, Yes. The immortal Colin Kaepernick. People are annointing him as the starter...in 2012.

agreed

LOL. I guess that is right. CK is the most overrated. Then Tolzien. Then D. Walker.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9erred:
The above tied to a salary of 1.9 million for 2012 to me makes him potentially expendable. I wanted to get Gronkowski in 2010 and people flamed me because Walker was such a stud.

Same effect is still happening nowadays. "No, we're good, Delanie's awesome, what he does can't be found on the stat-line, 49ers don't need to upgrade at TE ever again."


Utter rubbish.


Totally agree, you pair VD with Fleener, Gronkiowski (2nd rounder ) or Jimmy Graham (3rd rounder) you have a 2 TE set that makes defensive coordinators lose sleep. Right now it is double VD and let every one else be man coverage.

Yeah they aren't scared of Walker. He's short, drops the ball and fumbles. If I was a defensive coordinator I would want you to throw at him.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,553
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The guy is simply not good. His hands are very overrated. He drops passes and fumbles. And he never puts up big #'s. The only guys who think he is a super star are Joecool and Susweel. And the only thing keeping him back from stardom is the QB throwing to him. Funny the same QB didn't hold back VD from stardom or Pro Bowls or big #'s.... People fell in love with him because he has some speed. Ableit not as much as VD. But he doesn't play anywhere near his timed speed. He looks slower and more sluggish out there.

In a day and age where all these teams have 6'5", 6'6", 6'7" TE's and WR's we have the shortest guys in the league. The game is played in the air now with all the rule changes. I'd say dump him and pick up Fleener. Our team would be better. And I expect Fleener to be the better player in the NFL.

To answer the original question he is among the most overrated 49ers.
yes but did you not say the niners would rue the day when we let go of our former number one draft choice, fisherman woods? i am not sure anyone said he is a superstar, i think the best thing is that he is like vernon,, they create mismatches for the defense which is something we have with our tight ends. whats wrong with that
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The guy is simply not good. His hands are very overrated. He drops passes and fumbles. And he never puts up big #'s. The only guys who think he is a super star are Joecool and Susweel. And the only thing keeping him back from stardom is the QB throwing to him. Funny the same QB didn't hold back VD from stardom or Pro Bowls or big #'s.... People fell in love with him because he has some speed. Ableit not as much as VD. But he doesn't play anywhere near his timed speed. He looks slower and more sluggish out there.

In a day and age where all these teams have 6'5", 6'6", 6'7" TE's and WR's we have the shortest guys in the league. The game is played in the air now with all the rule changes. I'd say dump him and pick up Fleener. Our team would be better. And I expect Fleener to be the better player in the NFL.

To answer the original question he is among the most overrated 49ers.
yes but did you not say the niners would rue the day when we let go of our former number one draft choice, fisherman woods? i am not sure anyone said he is a superstar, i think the best thing is that he is like vernon,, they create mismatches for the defense which is something we have with our tight ends. whats wrong with that

I just think Fleener is more of a mismatch. A 6'5" or 6'6" guy with far better hands running down the middle and picking the ball our of the air. That's better than a 6'0" player. He would be our Jimmie Graham or Gronkowski. I think that's more of mismatch paired with VD than what we currently have.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Just asking. I keep hearing that the 49ers shouldn't draft a tight-end because they've got one great TE and one "very good TE." I'm just trying to discover what this is being based off of?


-His career high of 330 yards receiving?

-His career total of 5 touchdown's?

-The fact that he's 6 feet tall, considerably shorter than just about every other tight-end in football?

-The fact that up until this season he had fumbled the ball away more times than he had scored touchdowns?

-After the Giants game he went the rest of the season without a reception and dropped a few key passes during that time.


I just don't get the hype. Yeah he's a good blocker and a so-so receiver, but he's also extremely under-sized, seeing how frequently the 49ers use 2 TE sets, I think its rather foolish to say "oh no, they don't need to improve" when you've got a rather ordinary 2nd TE by all accounts.

I'm just trying to figure out where the hype is coming from. He's a solid player and a good stop-gap but to go out and say "no, we're good, we don't need anymore" when New England had 2 tight-ends with basically 1000 yard seasons, when Carolina has 2 TE's going 6'5", is very short-sighted.


Yet I keep hearing on the Webzone and pretty much everywhere else "oh, no, we're good, we have two good tight ends, we don't need anymore", like this self-perpetuating mythology that has built up.

So you're pissed because some people call him very good when he may just be good
lol

Tight end is not a pressing need for this team
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
So you're pissed because some people call him very good when he may just be good
lol

Tight end is not a pressing need for this team

Sure it is. When you play 2 TE formations as much as this team does, having a quality scoring threat is just as essential as a good #2 or #3 receiver is for other teams. Walker would be a GREAT #2 TE......for the New York Giants. For the 49ers he'd be better off as the #3 guy and having a big, tall, physical tight-end like Fleener or Green at the #2 position.

You don't think that having a 6'6" sure-handed receiving threat in the end-zone would make this more offense more effective than a 6'0" TE/FB/WR......10 positions, not anything special at any one of them? Delanie Walker as the #3 TE is a very good value and provides good versatility.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I just think Fleener is more of a mismatch. A 6'5" or 6'6" guy with far better hands running down the middle and picking the ball our of the air. That's better than a 6'0" player. He would be our Jimmie Graham or Gronkowski. I think that's more of mismatch paired with VD than what we currently have.

I think people are under the impression that Jerry Rice is just a draft pick away, yet the NFL has changed, teams are going to bigger, more physical receivers and having a 6'5"....6'6" TE is a huge asset but for some reason they're comfortable with the shortest tight-end in football. This team with a guy like Fleener or Green on the field at the same time as VD is a big plus for Alex who throws the ball high anyways, so why not give him a tall tight-end to go and get those lobs, not to mention the headache it creates for the defense. Defend VD and another very big, tall, physical TE? Good luck with that.


A VD/Fleener combination would be the best tight-end combination in football, the team could run out of the 2 TE formation basically all of the time then. What that does is makes the whole WR situation less crucial, as long as you have one good WR opposite Crabtree, you're fine and Fleener and VD both have experiencing playing WR as well.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by mjo116:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
To answer your question, Yes. The immortal Colin Kaepernick. People are annointing him as the starter...in 2012.

agreed

LOL. I guess that is right. CK is the most overrated. Then Tolzien. Then D. Walker.

+ infinity