There are 325 users in the forums

Screw it Let's just go all defense!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't want to go ALL defense... But it wouldn't bother me one bit if we got went D with our first couple picks. Fans want a WR but that doesn't mean we have to reach on a guy just because of position. WR can be filled later in the draft. It'd be awesome to make our strength even better.
Has there been any word on the Texans franchising Williams?
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

lol

No thanks. All I want to do to the defense is
resign Rogers and Brooks
franchise tag Goldson
get Terrell Thomas or Tracy Porter from FA
get some depth at OLB and FS
I liked the idea I saw on another thread about trading our 1st for KC's 2nd, 5th, and 6th. You gotta look at the NFCCG, our recieving corps is very sorry. we need to give alex smith some targets.Get Fleener and Joe Adams in the 2nd. Get a Corner, Brian Quick or OLB in the 3rd, and then watever else we need with the rest of the draft. (C, RG,OLB)
Defense doesnt need Mario Williams to be unstoppable. It needs to be consistent. Meaning, maintain the chemistry from last season and add a corner and some OLB depth for the future.
Elvis dumervil got $14 mil this year and is getting $14 mil next year
lets be honest. defense no longer wins a championship. the 49ers had one of the best defenses they have had in years if not ever as far as i remember and it didnt win them the ship. case and point the nfc championship game. the defense played lights out and offense left them holding the bag. 1-13 third down conv rate. this team is going to need some help at offense. as far as signing a big free agent the 49ers just dont do it. last time was primetime but it did work though. we will see what this front offense does this offseason.
Originally posted by teylo31:
lets be honest. defense no longer wins a championship. the 49ers had one of the best defenses they have had in years if not ever as far as i remember and it didnt win them the ship. case and point the nfc championship game. the defense played lights out and offense left them holding the bag. 1-13 third down conv rate. this team is going to need some help at offense. as far as signing a big free agent the 49ers just dont do it. last time was primetime but it did work though. we will see what this front offense does this offseason.

I think the Giants would beg to differ. Defense was a big part of them winning the superbowl. Defense does win championships but not alone. We had no production on offense soo in a sense, lack of offense losses games just as a lack of defense( Patriots for example) loses games. OUr lack of balance on both sides of the ball ultimate lead to our defeat. we had a #1 defense and a #29 offense. We need our offense to be #15, #20 at the least in order to win rings.

Exactly... missed scoring opportunities, make those and Williams is not on the field returning kicks because our managed O can't get enough 1st downs..
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Feb 10, 2012 at 1:41 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I embrace this approach.

This. The Ravens won a Super Bowl and then went full retard for years trying to turn themselves into the St Louis Rams circa 1999. Defense is what got this team to within a dumbass decision by the guy from ASU who shall remain unmentioned, why not stick with that?

As long as the 49ers are able to draft a wide receiver or sign a 2nd or 3rd tier free agent, I'm totally on board with going for more defense. Imagine this defense with another OLB contributing, a guy like Kendall Reyes rotating in at DE, more depth in the secondary...etc. As it is this team got pretty lucky in terms of injuries, a major injury to Justin Smith, Brooks or Aldon Smith and this team is in a world of hurt.

If they went almost all defense and only added a guy like Tommy Streeter while signing someone like Meachem, I'd be absolutely thrilled. Stick with the defense, its what made this team, its the identity, hard-nosed defense and special teams, adequate offense, this team is never going to be great offensively, so stick with what has worked thus far.

Offense scored enough points to win the game, can't help if it special teams f**ked up. The defense completely shut down Eli in the 2nd half, even with better receivers, the Giants were on the ropes, the only way they were going to win is through turnovers, if the 49ers spoon fed them the ball, or if the refs disallowed a fumble through a BS call made without even a whistle.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 10, 2012 at 1:57 AM ]

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Wtf!!! lmao!!!
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Offense scored enough points to win the game, can't help if it special teams f**ked up. The defense completely shut down Eli in the 2nd half, even with better receivers, the Giants were on the ropes, the only way they were going to win is through turnovers, if the 49ers spoon fed them the ball, or if the refs disallowed a fumble through a BS call made without even a whistle.

Exactly. Only unbelievably bad luck kept us out of the SB (which I'm virtually certain we would've won), the kind of bad luck I've NEVER seen before in an NFL game. We scored as many points against the Giants as the Patriots did, and 3 fewer than GB (who scored 14 points off two definitively bad officiating calls). Our offense scored 17, our D allowed 10, Kyle Williams allowed 10, and the refs stole a GW FG from us with non-fumble call.

So this season definitely proved that defense can win championships, despite all the NFL has done to prevent that from happening. I'm just concerned they'll do even more to handicap defenses, that it's not good to go against what the League wants, even though it's fun to rebel and would be immensely satisfying to succeed.
I don't understand why there are so many fans out there so eager to get rid of Carlos Rogers. Yes, I know he is 31, however if the NFL has taught us anything lately it's that in this day and age, defensive backs can be like a fine wine and get better with age. At over 30, Rogers had his best season as a pro and was a big part of defense's success this season. There are numerous reports that he is willing to come back below market value. I want to keep this defense together that just kept getting better through the season and was playing lights out in the postseason.

I think it's crucial we try and get all of our starters back because these guys were all playing as a team by years end and with a full offseason in order, they will get even better.
The saddest part about everybody blaming KW for the fumbles is that his fumbles made everyone forget that his KR return after the muff was the longest "offensive play we had in the 2nd half. He's a good reciever but lost everyone's trust in the return game. As the saying goes "repetiton is the father of learning". Let him catch PRs and KRs on scout teamat practice. Hope everyone forgets Kyle Williams the PR and remembers Kyle Williams, the guy who scored a 56 yard TD off a 10yd comeback route vs the Rams, the guy who scored the first TD for us against the Cowboys, the guy who had one of the best stiff arms of the season. KW will be back with a vengence next seasons.
Lots of people are proposing that we let Ginn walk and pick up a guy that can return and play reciever like Joe Adams or Jordan White
Agree with OP, Defence wins championships, and the offence will only get better with more playing playing time.

Lets see what Brooks (or Brooks agent) wants money wise and lets see what Mario Williams wants then work it out from there.
Share 49ersWebzone