Screw it Let's just go all defense!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith is our QB.
Gore and Hunter are the backs.
Morgan and Tedd Ginn will sign cheap
Crabtree is back.
Just a draft some wideouts.

Instead of paying for free agent wideouts. Lets upgrade the secondary
we can get a younger fa corner than Rogers like Tracy Porter.
Resign Brooks and Grant and franchise Goldson. Dump Haralson and sign Robert Mathis

or we could dump Brooks and sign Mario Williams. To hell with all this offense.
We could dominate again on defense. If Trent Dilfer and Brad Smith can win a SuperBowl, I know Alex Smith can with
that defense. What do you think?
I firmly believe in the old statement "Defense wins championships" but i would like to see a better effort from the offense. Just in the case we are in the super bowl with a defense heavy team like the Ravens.
The offensive resignings will come cheaper for us. If we could keep most of our defense together and add Mario Williams I think we would be almost unstoppable. It's not a completely rediculous way to go. Mario Williams plus this defensive group = the best defense of all time. Alex not turning it over + Gore + VD + Crab. I don't see why you couldn't win a Super Bowl with that.
Um.... NO.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The offensive resignings will come cheaper for us. If we could keep most of our defense together and add Mario Williams I think we would be almost unstoppable. It's not a completely rediculous way to go. Mario Williams plus this defensive group = the best defense of all time. Alex not turning it over + Gore + VD + Crab. I don't see why you couldn't win a Super Bowl with that.

I'm growing to like that idea more and more. He's going to be highly coveted, but plugging him to this D will take it to an amazingly high level.
Originally posted by merm49:

I'm growing to like that idea more and more. He's going to be highly coveted, but plugging him to this D will take it to an amazingly high level.

Alex wouldn't have to score much or complete many 3rd downs with that defense. We would be far more dominant than we already were.
Negative on going only defense.
Justin Smith, Ray Mac, Aldon Smith, (Mario Williams).....AND we would have Bowman/Willis....

YIKES, ill play corner
franchise Goldson, sign Mario Williams, draft Freener at TE, resign Morgan and Ginn, sign a cheaper FA corner, draft a cb round 2, draft a WR round 3 or 4, draft a rb round 3 or 4, resign Alex Smith--but no more than $6-7 million a year---if higher--let him go. Resign Brooks for 3-4 million--if not larry Grant for similar.

everyday it changes--this is todays version.

You've got me intrigued .

Yeah and you could still go offense in the draft and get a reciever/te.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
The rules have changed since Dilfer and Johnson won SBs, and after seeing how defenses held the elite QBs in check this last playoffs, I think refs will be even more slanted toward offense next season. NFL doesn't want 20-17 SBs and Championship games. The ratings were still amazing, because the NFL has been on an upward trajectory for years, but they would've been even higher with more offense.

If we don't do something drastic to improve our running game or add a legit #1 WR, with our schedule next year I think our SB chances are slim. We were below average in ypr and last in the league on 3rd & short. At or near the top of the league (depending on which source you use) in drops per pass attempt.

Our D would be so stupid it's not even funny. Could you imagine Aldon on one side and Mario on the other, along with our Dline. What would the other teams oline do? How could they honestly prepare for that? Mario Williams is big too sitting at 6'6" and 280+.

The only question is, how much would he cost? Top DE/OLBs are in the 13-14mil range http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/

Take a few million less to form the greatest defense of all time imo?
Share 49ersWebzone