LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Player development under Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wanted to bring this thread back before TC comes as it is time for the coaches to turn young guys into NFL players! So, what will happen this off season to make sure the 9ers can win the next big game they play?

1) Their coaches are teachers! For the first time in years they have position coaches who know how to teach and develop talent--from the rookies to the old vets.
2) The offensive and defensive systems are solid and players know their roles. Both sides of the ball are creative and confusing to the opponents.
3) Harbaugh treats his players like grownups and doesn't harrass them over silly rules--winning is the only goal.
4) This should probably be second--player evaluation! "These guys know how to recognize talent for the draft and in FAs. They occasionally miss (as in Edwards) but with little impact to the team as they don't overpay.
5) Health--they seem to be using really good training methods as few players have been injured compared to past years. A lot of that can be credited to luck but some must be the trainers and the way practice is set up. Much like Walsh's day, there is less unnecessary hitting. Singletary's nutcracker drill is a great example of stupid.
6) Developing high character leadership. Nolan and Singletary did this as well, so Harbaugh doesn't get all the credit. They can bring in a few risks here and there due to their established vet leaders. would a new troubled player give any grief to Willis, J Smith, Gore or VD? Not if they are smart. They need an enforcer on the OLine though as Staley is more of a comedian. A Larry Allen type needs to be developed to knock heads together when necessary.

This team seems to be in a great championship building mode where no player will be irreplaceable...even Willis may be surpassed by Bowman and Grant can't wait to be a starter. They are stocking every position this way and it will hurt when we start losing favorite players as NE does every year, but a new face will take over and the downside will be minimal.

Fun to be a niner fan!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I supported Erickson because Walsh endorsed him.

Just wonderin,when and where did Bill Walsh say he endorsed Erickson???

IIRC,the only "endorsment" that Mr.Walsh gave around that time was to his handpicked successor as GM,Terry Donahue.and we all know how that worked(sigh).

I remember at that time The Dorks had alienated all the old greats and wanted to do things "their way".thats how Neuheisal,Erickson and other retreads were even considered for the HC job.

It might not have been widely circulated at the time,but I jus dont see how Mr.Walsh would attach himself to a retread like Erickson.Not to say Mr.Walsh didnt endorse Erickson,I jus dont recall that being said in the media.I could have easily missed it.that was a very troubling time for me as a 9er fan.

Please clarify that statement.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM ]
Wanted to bring this thread back before TC comes as it is time for the coaches to turn young guys into NFL players! So, what will happen this off season to make sure the 9ers can win the next big game they play?

1) Their coaches are teachers! For the first time in years they have position coaches who know how to teach and develop talent--from the rookies to the old vets.
2) The offensive and defensive systems are solid and players know their roles. Both sides of the ball are creative and confusing to the opponents.
3) Harbaugh treats his players like grownups and doesn't harrass them over silly rules--winning is the only goal.
4) This should probably be second--player evaluation! "These guys know how to recognize talent for the draft and in FAs. They occasionally miss (as in Edwards) but with little impact to the team as they don't overpay.
5) Health--they seem to be using really good training methods as few players have been injured compared to past years. A lot of that can be credited to luck but some must be the trainers and the way practice is set up. Much like Walsh's day, there is less unnecessary hitting. Singletary's nutcracker drill is a great example of stupid.
6) Developing high character leadership. Nolan and Singletary did this as well, so Harbaugh doesn't get all the credit. They can bring in a few risks here and there due to their established vet leaders. would a new troubled player give any grief to Willis, J Smith, Gore or VD? Not if they are smart. They need an enforcer on the OLine though as Staley is more of a comedian. A Larry Allen type needs to be developed to knock heads together when necessary.

This team seems to be in a great championship building mode where no player will be irreplaceable...even Willis may be surpassed by Bowman and Grant can't wait to be a starter. They are stocking every position this way and it will hurt when we start losing favorite players as NE does every year, but a new face will take over and the downside will be minimal.

Fun to be a niner fan!

Great post. It is a great time to be a 49ers fan for sure!!
Originally posted by tohara3:

Fun to be a niner fan!

Fun to be a niner fan!

Great post and like you said the main goal is to have a system like Baltimore, NE, Pitt that just reloads and replaces instead of having to rebuild. One thing I will add is we are working out probably as hard as we did with Singletary but on top of it we are smart about it. We are using our brains as well and not all bronze. We probably get 10x more accomplished by not worrying as much about the physical aspect as the mental aspect. The physical side comes with it but our practices are more fun and we are learning more. Everything else though agree... (although I wouldn't say irreplaceable... we will have backup plans and be able to fill in but you probably can't replace Justin or Pat) Same with coaches... one gets promoted and gets hired elsewhere we will be able to have the next man up. I also like that coach talks to these players during lunch and truly cares about these guys and their families. Some coaches don't care about the player off the field and a lot probably don't take the time to get to know these players. He's a true players coach but has the x's and o's of it as well and that's what makes great coaches. Some are player friendly but don't know the x's and o's, some are too friendly they get ran over and aren't respected, some know x's and o's but don't know how to communicate and work with players... it takes both sides. That's what made guys like Walsh so great... he loved his players, they loved him and he was a genius in the x's and o's department.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 4, 2012 at 6:47 PM ]
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:

IIRC,the only "endorsment" that Mr.Walsh gave around that time was to his handpicked successor as GM,Terry Donahue.and we all know how that worked(sigh).

I remember at that time The Dorks had alienated all the old greats and wanted to do things "their way".thats how Neuheisal,Erickson and other retreads were even considered for the HC job.

It might not have been widely circulated at the time,but I jus dont see how Mr.Walsh would attach himself to a retread like Erickson.Not to say Mr.Walsh didnt endorse Erickson,I jus dont recall that being said in the media.I could have easily missed it.that was a very troubling time for me as a 9er fan.

Walsh spoke highly of Erickson and Donahue. In promoting Erickson for the SF job Walsh said:

"He's extremely confident. He's semi-laid back and he doesn't need to promote himself. He's not interested in promotion or the media. He's not a Tom Cruise type. He's a football coach. It's that simple." Walsh was involved in the hire as a 9er consultant. Erickson had coached San Jose State, Walsh's Alma mater so that may be the connection.

I was opposed to both hires as neither had much NFL experience and the experience they did have was less than inspiring.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Fun to be a niner fan!

Never eat popcorn at the bar but otherwise...
Originally posted by Garcia:
frank gore
delanie walker
RJF
Navorrow Bowman
Dashon Goldson
Tarell Brown
Parys Haralson
Bruce Miller

???

Id say yes.

This^ it hasn't been all that bad, in fact i believe that is better than most teams.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jun 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Fun to be a niner fan!

Never eat popcorn at the bar but otherwise...

Walsh spoke highly of Erickson and Donahue. In promoting Erickson for the SF job Walsh said:

"He's extremely confident. He's semi-laid back and he doesn't need to promote himself. He's not interested in promotion or the media. He's not a Tom Cruise type. He's a football coach. It's that simple." Walsh was involved in the hire as a 9er consultant.

Not tryin to be a douce but,Link/attribute please.where did that quote come from???

Also,it sounds like an opinion of a person,not"I think we should hire said person or said person is in my opinion a good coach" "these traits are the reason we hired him" etc.that to me would be an endorsement.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM ]

Not tryin to be a douce but,Link/attribute please.where did that quote come from???

Also,it sounds like an opinion of a person,not"I think we should hire said person or said person is in my opinion a good coach" "these traits are the reason we hired him" etc.that to me would be an endorsement.

Google: Walsh & Erickson & 49ers
Then google Erickson and find his work record: San Jose State HC.

Hope this helps...it took me about two minutes before I posted.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:42 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Google: Walsh & Erickson & 49ers
Then google Erickson and find his work record: San Jose State HC.

Hope this helps...it took me about two minutes before I posted.
well i was all for giving erickson a second year cuz he got to pick his coaches and i thought that would be the difference
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Bruce Miller is a perfect example. Many others too. The difference is we have a real NFL coach now. If you think guys like Drunk Erickson, NoWin and SingleBrainCell are real NFL coaches you are kidding yourself..... ......

I agree. Good thing Harbaugh chose to coach this 49ers team.
Share 49ersWebzone