LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 138 users in the forums

Player development under Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
they had no idea what players development was. erickson was just trying to stay alive, nolan was in over his head and sing was a clueless drama queen. i was so dumb. i supported erickson in his second year cuz he had his own coaches and i loved the nolan hire cuz I am old school and liked his dad i was banned at the time but was 100 per cent against the sing hire, at least i got one of em right. It took me five or six games to figure out this team was for real this year cuz I was used to bad coaching and could not believe a new coach could make such a difference

LOL, sounds familiar to me. I supported Erickson because Walsh endorsed him. But the team seemed out of control so was glad Nolan came in as he was well organized. I also remembered his father and he was one of the best coaches in SF until Walsh. Nolan did a good job bringing in high character guys and putting the organization together but he was clueless about offense and didn't seem to be able to command much loyalty. When you ridicule players that happens.

Then Singletary was made asst. HC under Nolan with almost no coaching experience...argh!

Now the coaches are in sync with each other and teaching is the name of the game! Hooray!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
LOL, sounds familiar to me. I supported Erickson because Walsh endorsed him. But the team seemed out of control so was glad Nolan came in as he was well organized. I also remembered his father and he was one of the best coaches in SF until Walsh. Nolan did a good job bringing in high character guys and putting the organization together but he was clueless about offense and didn't seem to be able to command much loyalty. When you ridicule players that happens.

Then Singletary was made asst. HC under Nolan with almost no coaching experience...argh!

Now the coaches are in sync with each other and teaching is the name of the game! Hooray!
wow, great post. That is exactly how i feel! That is word for word what i feel, with better spelling of course
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Bruce Miller is a perfect example. Many others too. The difference is we have a real NFL coach now. If you think guys like Drunk Erickson, NoWin and SingleBrainCell are real NFL coaches you are kidding yourself..... ......
they had no idea what players development was. erickson was just trying to stay alive, nolan was in over his head and sing was a clueless drama queen. i was so dumb. i supported erickson in his second year cuz he had his own coaches and i loved the nolan hire cuz I am old school and liked his dad i was banned at the time but was 100 per cent against the sing hire, at least i got one of em right. It took me five or six games to figure out this team was for real this year cuz I was used to bad coaching and could not believe a new coach could make such a difference

LOL... Good post and so true. Even up until the playoffs, I was waiting for the bottom to drop out from under us. I think as a fan-base, were so dam shell shocked; its gonna take a couple of years to fully trust any coaching staff...

Lotta truth here.

Someone I heard on the radio noted that in their coverage of the 49ers they saw a lot of talented players who really wanted to win but they did not know how to go about it. When Harbaugh came on board, they were somewhat skeptical initially due to their bad experience with Singletary, however they became believers rather quickly, especially after the Dallas game where they realized they were good enough to compete with a team that was considered a Super Bowl contender.

Now all the NFL world see what Harbaugh and staff can do. I don't think very many people need to see more before they believe.

Now as to Alex Smith??? Oh, sorry. I just had to add that in here.

Harbaugh made a big difference. And I'm not surprised. He's a real coach. First one in a decade.
I love how Harbaugh is pumping up Carbtree right now. it's probably just the thing this kind of player needs to develop.

I do agree that Nolan and Sing are the antithesis of Harbaugh when it comes to overall development, but at least Sing can be credited with making VS a better player and person.
I have always felt if you it on round 1-3 and get a couple guys from 4-7 you will be in good shape. All the consistent teams do it through the draft.
Not only development but player evaluations. From the free agency approach to the unpredictable draft style this organization knows what it wants and how to get it. Loving being a 9er fan right now!
I love how Harbaugh's coaching staff went to work in looking at the all guys they have both on offense and defense, starters and backups. And within about 2-3 months pretty much knew what they have and a pretty good idea what they can do with the guys they have. Having a veteran team really help. But also these coaches have been together before. I truly believed the position coaches are only as good as the direction and leadership from the head coaches. I think Harbaugh/Roman and Fangio embodies that. It's great to see Harbaugh is smart enough not to dip his spoon in the defensive side. The amount of attention to details is awesome from Harbaugh down to his coaches. When players are smart enough to realized they have a good competent coaching, they will give more effort and play better too.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM ]
All this positivity is making me nervous

But I like it!
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

But I like it!

• Garce
  • Veteran
frank gore
delanie walker
RJF
Navorrow Bowman
Dashon Goldson
Tarell Brown
Parys Haralson
Bruce Miller

???

Id say yes.

Originally posted by defenderDX:

But I like it!

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Bruce Miller is a perfect example. Many others too. The difference is we have a real NFL coach now. If you think guys like Drunk Erickson, NoWin and SingleBrainCell are real NFL coaches you are kidding yourself..... ......

LOL... Good post and so true. Even up until the playoffs, I was waiting for the bottom to drop out from under us. I think as a fan-base, were so dam shell shocked; its gonna take a couple of years to fully trust any coaching staff...

Lotta truth here.

Someone I heard on the radio noted that in their coverage of the 49ers they saw a lot of talented players who really wanted to win but they did not know how to go about it. When Harbaugh came on board, they were somewhat skeptical initially due to their bad experience with Singletary, however they became believers rather quickly, especially after the Dallas game where they realized they were good enough to compete with a team that was considered a Super Bowl contender.

Now all the NFL world see what Harbaugh and staff can do. I don't think very many people need to see more before they believe.

Now as to Alex Smith??? Oh, sorry. I just had to add that in here.

This
- Alex Smith comments, I hope you can take your foot out of your mouth at the end of the season.
5,000Yards 29TD 10INTS
[ Edited by juycho on May 20, 2012 at 6:24 AM ]

But I like it!

LOL!
I was intrigued and hopeful when we signed Nolan and then Singletary... but it didn't take me long to recognize that they could talk a good game but didn't have the brains to back that talk up. Square peg, round hole... had no idea of how to properly adjust to what opponents were doing. Of course, when I mentioned this, there were always some people screaming "stopz teh excuses!!!" LOLz... but anyway, OUR long sentence in hell is at an end and the dark clouds have been gloriously lifted and banished by Jim and Co.

Lucky mutherf**kin ball...

Player development and talent evaluation have been big problems for the past decade, thankfully that looks to be an issue of the past.
Share 49ersWebzone