LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Player development under Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think this has been the franchise problem over the last 15 years. Walsh always developed players. In JH we finally have a coach to develop those 4-7 round draftees. Look at NE roster. How many guys did they draft late and become starters?
Bruce Miller is a perfect example. Many others too. The difference is we have a real NFL coach now. If you think guys like Drunk Erickson, NoWin and SingleBrainCell are real NFL coaches you are kidding yourself..... ......
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Bruce Miller is a perfect example. Many others too. The difference is we have a real NFL coach now. If you think guys like Drunk Erickson, NoWin and SingleBrainCell are real NFL coaches you are kidding yourself..... ......

Did you read the OP?
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Did you read the OP?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
they had no idea what players development was. erickson was just trying to stay alive, nolan was in over his head and sing was a clueless drama queen. i was so dumb. i supported erickson in his second year cuz he had his own coaches and i loved the nolan hire cuz I am old school and liked his dad i was banned at the time but was 100 per cent against the sing hire, at least i got one of em right. It took me five or six games to figure out this team was for real this year cuz I was used to bad coaching and could not believe a new coach could make such a difference
Totally agree, and if JH & staff can develop Kilgore we can focus less on a RG and get better options in FA & Draft.
Originally posted by cciowa:
they had no idea what players development was. erickson was just trying to stay alive, nolan was in over his head and sing was a clueless drama queen. i was so dumb. i supported erickson in his second year cuz he had his own coaches and i loved the nolan hire cuz I am old school and liked his dad i was banned at the time but was 100 per cent against the sing hire, at least i got one of em right. It took me five or six games to figure out this team was for real this year cuz I was used to bad coaching and could not believe a new coach could make such a difference

LOL... Good post and so true. Even up until the playoffs, I was waiting for the bottom to drop out from under us. I think as a fan-base, were so dam shell shocked; its gonna take a couple of years to fully trust any coaching staff...
  • dj43
Originally posted by D_Niner:

LOL... Good post and so true. Even up until the playoffs, I was waiting for the bottom to drop out from under us. I think as a fan-base, were so dam shell shocked; its gonna take a couple of years to fully trust any coaching staff...

Lotta truth here.

Someone I heard on the radio noted that in their coverage of the 49ers they saw a lot of talented players who really wanted to win but they did not know how to go about it. When Harbaugh came on board, they were somewhat skeptical initially due to their bad experience with Singletary, however they became believers rather quickly, especially after the Dallas game where they realized they were good enough to compete with a team that was considered a Super Bowl contender.

Now all the NFL world see what Harbaugh and staff can do. I don't think very many people need to see more before they believe.

Now as to Alex Smith??? Oh, sorry. I just had to add that in here.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

49ers fans are experience some form of post-tramautic syndrome after years or horrible coaching. I watched 49ers games waiting for something bad to happen until after the Tampa game. At the time, they were considered to be pretty good, but when we beat them all the way back to Tampa, I became a believer that something was different. The funny thing is, I never saw the game. I had an appointment and texted a friend for the results. He responds with "in the battle of the Bay Areas, the team from the Bay stomped the other 48-3." I'm thinking it just had to be us and was ready for details on Alex Smith picks, receivers dropping passes, Freeman hitting on deep balls, and no real offense besides Gore. Ashame what we've been through the last 10 years.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I can not believe this positive post has gotten this far with no negative alex comments! i also remember so many fans screaming and shrilling after we lost to the ravens and cards that we were done, we have been exposed,, we will not win a game the rest of the year blah blah. what did they do but regroup and beat the steelers in prime time and set the stage for a memorable entrance into post season.That is on the coaches and the players bought into it and that is how winners are built.

• dj43
I can not believe this positive post has gotten this far with no negative alex comments! i also remember so many fans screaming and shrilling after we lost to the ravens and cards that we were done, we have been exposed,, we will not win a game the rest of the year blah blah. what did they do but regroup and beat the steelers in prime time and set the stage for a memorable entrance into post season.That is on the coaches and the players bought into it and that is how winners are built.

Now you've done it!

I Concur
I think player development is simply the most important part to a successful career. One example would be Williams and crabtree (and I'm not trying to start a firefight bring up kw so let's keep on topic) neither had much time to develop in the nfl before being thrust into games as starters. Due to injuries (williams) and lack of players at the position (crabtree) crabtree was also put into the starting position still recovering from his nagging foot injury. Yes they played there positions in college but we all know that college ball and the nfl are totally different worlds, players hit harder, run faster and expectations are much higher. Its good explaination (not an excuse) for Alex and his problems in the league, imagine what young would have played like without development time under Joe, I guarentee we wouldn't have 5 trophies, and all the Alex haters who want CK or Tolzien to be the new starters give it a rest until next off season, it will pay off much better for either of them to have another season of development time under there belts and it will less likely turn out like it did when alex was thrown in right out of the draft. That's why I think Indy should keep manning because the amount Luck would benefit learning from another great Colt QB. Hunter is learning from our arguably best RBs ever even if he doesn't have the lombardis to show it and that will benefit us hugely if Gore goes down. I personally (don't laugh) wouldn't mind signing a true vet WR for our young receivers to learn from like Driver, yeah there's not a lot left in his tank but we could get him on probably a minimum and his knowledge and experience would be priceless. The only example I have other then gore/hunter would be Willis/rest of the lb squad its seems like anyone who trains next to the man turns to gold, and the Smith/Smith duo. I think the development in the nickel package with the assistance of justin is going to make aldon something even more special then our expectations, justin told him in training you need to set goals in the league and fight to achieve them (Aldons goal is breaking Strahans single season sack record and from what I've seen as a p/t rookie, fulltime next to Justin I believe to totally plausible.
player development is the one thing that we have been missing more then anything over the past 10 years, I honestly can't remember a late rounder to make the team and make an impact. until this year, i think with our coaching staff staying together will only benefit our team and player development.... our player development was one of the worst in the league, reason being that we had what 3 or 4 different head coaches and 7 different OCs.
the future looks bright with harbaugh, assuming that he is successful and is our coach for another 10 yrs.
I think another positive step in player development was having the practice squad players be part of all meetings and attend all games, including away games. Something that has not been done in the past. Players I think Harbaugh et al are developing and could surprise us and make the roster in 2012.

1. Chase Beeler, Center-
2. Konrad Rheuland

Additionally when Harbaugh recognizes an area of strenth they do not let those players get exposed to the waiver wire. The example of this was keeping Dobbs, Tukufai and Ian Williams all on the active roster..
Share 49ersWebzone