LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 398 users in the forums

Importance of Chemistry to Future Success

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We all saw how this team gelled together, and their chemistry was the best of any Niner team I remember. As we look to add those crucial pieces that will get us in to the SB, we risk changing the culture of what was a very close team that had fun playing together. It was really a special year and special team, and it was awesome to see. Coaches are on record stressing the importance of keeping THIS team together.

At QB, It's almost assured that Smith is coming back. He and Harbaugh have a special connection, while Gore, VD, and OL all believe in him. The chances are incredibly slim, but if we did go out and add a HEALTHY Peyton Manning, I feel like that could upset some key players.

We all agree we need the most help at WR. The top four likely available FAs at the position--Vincent Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, and DeSean Jackson--are all me-first guys who won't necessarily fit in well with the team.

On D, Goldson and Whitner played well together, and of course we had the best-in-the-league Tony Montana Squad on ST.

Any one else wondering if FA/Draft additions and subtractions will harm what was the closest team in the league? And, if so, how much impact will that have on us going forward?
[ Edited by merm49 on Feb 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM ]
In Harbaugh I Trust.

Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston would greatly improve this team.

Plus, we are a winner now with a hole at WR. Why would they not want to come here?
Originally posted by merm49:
We all saw how this team gelled together, and their chemistry was the best of any Niner team I remember. As we look to add those crucial pieces that will get us in to the SB, we risk changing the culture of what was a very close team that had fun playing together. It was really a special year and special team, and it was awesome to see. Coaches are on record stressing the importance of keeping THIS team together.

At QB, It's almost assured that Smith is coming back. He and Harbaugh have a special connection, while Gore, VD, and OL all believe in him. The chances are incredibly slim, but if we did go out and add a HEALTHY Peyton Manning, I feel like that could upset some key players.

We all agree we need the most help at WR. The top four likely available FAs at the position--Vincent Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, and DeSean Jackson--are all me-first guys who won't necessarily fit in well with the team.

On D, Goldson and Whitner played well together, and of course we had the best-in-the-league Tony Montana Squad on ST.

Any one else wondering if FA/Draft additions and subtractions will harm what was the closest team in the league? And, if so, how much impact will that have on us going forward?

Vincent Jackson is the only one I would chase and that's mainly because he's 6'5" 230. Everyone else on that list isn't bigger than crabtree or Morgan and if their stats don't vastly exceed what Crabtree did considering they will also be on a team that doesn't pass as much as their current teams.

I would rather upgrade Delanie Walker. Both of our WR's have proven they can get 700 or so yards. We have one TE that has proven he can get 700 or so yards. What we need is that 2nd TE that can rack up around 700. This offense will be deadly if we get that.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:

Vincent Jackson is the only one I would chase and that's mainly because he's 6'5" 230. Everyone else on that list isn't bigger than crabtree or Morgan and if their stats don't vastly exceed what Crabtree did considering they will also be on a team that doesn't pass as much as their current teams.

I would rather upgrade Delanie Walker. Both of our WR's have proven they can get 700 or so yards. We have one TE that has proven he can get 700 or so yards. What we need is that 2nd TE that can rack up around 700. This offense will be deadly if we get that.
I agree but I would also chase Bowe. He is a talented possesion WR, his Td stats this year are a mirage because of their QB situation, but overall he has been a very consistantly productive, non-problamtic player.
I would keep walker, the kid has heart and blocks as well if not better then VD although his receiving yards aren't quite like Vernons I don't think we need or would use both tight ends for huge yards players, cuz with 2 high yardage tes and a bunch of high yardage receivers where would our running game be?

Vernon has proven that he can rack up around 900+ yards, and he will get back to that level this next season. Towards the end of the season Vernon's comfort level in the offense really developed. In the last three games; The last in the regular season and the two playoff games he had a total of 410 yards and 4 tds. I think this next year he will resurface as a top 3-5 TE wiht at least 900 yards. Shoot, he may even pass 1,000 yards this next year. The league needs to be on notice, especially if the team gives him a little more help on the outside.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

Vernon has proven that he can rack up around 900+ yards, and he will get back to that level this next season. Towards the end of the season Vernon's comfort level in the offense really developed. In the last three games; The last in the regular season and the two playoff games he had a total of 410 yards and 4 tds. I think this next year he will resurface as a top 3-5 TE wiht at least 900 yards. Shoot, he may even pass 1,000 yards this next year. The league needs to be on notice, especially if the team gives him a little more help on the outside.

Exactly!!

Delanie works his ass off but that doesn't mean his production can't be upgraded. I say we go for a sleeper TE in the draft.

To the previous poster: Bowe is only 6'2" and who's to say his stats drop down to 900 with the 49ers number of passing attempts. Morgan is also a possession receiver and displayed breakaway speed. He had an ankle injury and I don't think that's going to slow him down...if it were a knee injury, then that would be different. FA WR's are not going to come cheap. In fact, that position is over rated in terms of value.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

Exactly!!

Delanie works his ass off but that doesn't mean his production can't be upgraded. I say we go for a sleeper TE in the draft.

To the previous poster: Bowe is only 6'2" and who's to say his stats drop down to 900 with the 49ers number of passing attempts. Morgan is also a possession receiver and displayed breakaway speed. He had an ankle injury and I don't think that's going to slow him down...if it were a knee injury, then that would be different. FA WR's are not going to come cheap. In fact, that position is over rated in terms of value.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d813512e8/Josh-Morgan-61-yd-pass-reception
I think the Importance of Chemistry is Paramount, and mostly with the QB and Wr's. I keep reading where Crabs is better or on the same level than Vincent, Bowe, Jackson, and I'll add Manningham, Colston, and a few others. My take on Crabs is that it has nothing to do with the QB. For the past 3 years he's been on the team, he's usually blossomed more towards the end of the season. Not once, whether Alex was starting or not, does he try to build chemistry with the QB.

Since he's been on the team, he's bonded with no QB in the offseason or TC. And its just mind boggling that maybe he thinks he's that good that he can just turn it on at will. Thats not the case. I mentioned in another thread the the one occuring theme with all great QB's and Wr's is the time put together. I think thats why Smith's numbers were off the hook when passing to Morgan. I think his highest rating and TD/INT ratio was when throwing to Morgan only Second to VD who is a TE.

Overall, Once again, im not gonna knock Crabs, because he had his best year this year. IF and I mean IF he participates in all of TC, and puts in time with Alex after hours and in free time, then I can truly say he's really devoted to excelling in his craft. IF he puts in NO time with his QB, then I'm gonna call it like it is. He just may think that he's that good, that he doesnt need to build chemistry with his QB. And if thats the case, then he shouldnt be on the team.
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:

I agree but I would also chase Bowe. He is a talented possesion WR, his Td stats this year are a mirage because of their QB situation, but overall he has been a very consistantly productive, non-problamtic player.

Bowe is the one that best fits into what SF does and the culture this team has.

Gotta make a strong push for him.

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:

Bowe is the one that best fits into what SF does and the culture this team has.

Gotta make a strong push for him.

For how much we are going to pay him, I don't think there's enough of a gap in between his talent and Morgan's. He had Gonzalez who caught 99 passes during Bowe's rookie year and 96 passes in Bowe's second year.

Just for a perspective,
2009: Bowe in year two (with Tony G leading the team) was targeted 158 times for 86 receptions. Crabtree in 2011 was targeted a measly 114 times for 72 receptions.

2009: No Tony - Bowe drops to 47 for 589 in 11 games. Chris Chambers was the leading receiver with 67 catches.

2010: Bowe finally became a "#1" receiver with 72 catches and 1162 yards. 132 times targets...still targeted much more than Crabs by 18 more and couldn't muster more receptions.

2011: "#1" receiver targeted 141 times and only 81 receptions for 1159.

There's your #1 receiver folks. His best season as a primary target was 9 more catches than Crabs while Bowe was thrown to 27 more times. Now, imagine if Crabs was thrown to 27 more times this year. Sure he would accumulate more than 81 catches.

No to Bowe. Like I said, not much of a gap between talent from him and Morgan considering the money we pay Bowe.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM ]
Jackson is 100% getting locked up by Chargers. My guess is the same on Bowe
Originally posted by KEGster:

Bowe < Crabs or Morgan.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM ]

Bowe < Crabs or Morgan.

Saying that Bowe is worse than Crabs and Morgan is insane.

When considering your "targets" data, you have to also factor in that Tyler f'ing Palko was throwing to him for a decent portion of the season.

You also have to consider that they didn't have Charles the entire year to take the focus off of Bowe.

He's a very good WR and would work well here.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Bowe < Crabs or Morgan.

Saying that Bowe is worse than Crabs and Morgan is insane.

When considering your "targets" data, you have to also factor in that Tyler f'ing Palko was throwing to him for a decent portion of the season.

You also have to consider that they didn't have Charles the entire year to take the focus off of Bowe.

He's a very good WR and would work well here.

A lot of people outside of the SF media would say the same thing about Alex Smith.

Bowe sucked the first year without Tony G. It took a year for him to figure out how to handle double teams. He's still thrown to far more times than Crabtree or Morgan have ever seen. So Alex can develop, Bowe can learn to develop how to handle double teams but our receivers can't.

They will learn...they have the talent. The key is the gap in talent does not equate to the money Bowe will request.
Share 49ersWebzone