• Hall of Fame
we should draft 7 WR's this year.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
We should draft at two WRs this year.

this.

One speedster and one big bodied one.

First round pick should be a WR for sure. Im not sure exactly who yet because I still need to look at film and watch the combine numbers.

I disagree. It should be BPA.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

this.

First round pick should be a WR for sure. Im not sure exactly who yet because I still need to look at film and watch the combine numbers.

BPA is b******t, you always draft for need.

this.

BPA is b******t, you always draft for need.

not sure if serious.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
not sure if serious.

Yes I am because if drafted BPA all the time you would have team that is strong in one area and weak in other areas. You gotta draft to fill weak spots on the roster.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
More than anything, there were total lack of WRs until Crabtree fell to us in the 10th pick. I remember Brandon Williams in the 3rd round. That's 6-7 years of 'we don't need a #1 receiver'. Brandon Lloyd, Arnaz Battle, Jason Hill. Morgan and Hill was the only 2 even close to OK at one time. Free Agency had given the team... let me try to remember...Antonio Bryant, Ashley Lelie, Darrell Jackson, Isaac Bruce, and Edwards.

That's a sad list of cast a way wide receivers. They gotta do better starting now.
not sure if serious.

Yes I am because if drafted BPA all the time you would have team that is strong in one area and weak in other areas. You gotta draft to fill weak spots on the roster.

The logic behind that thought is so good that I'm sure Bill Walsh and many other past and present Coaches/GMs will agree with you.

Not sure if that bus is short enough after that last statement.

Using 1st picks on "need" positions is... well... kind of stupid. If you have what you think is a future pro bowler at pick 30 who isn't a need, and a guy who is "ok" but fits a need position. You take the guy that fills the "need" position, even though you have numerous other picks later in the draft to fill that spot?
[ Edited by Youngb on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM ]

Great logic.....hahahahaha epic fail. This only may work with comparable talent. Take for instance the best MLB is still available and a good rg is still there then it would be ok to draft the guard over the MLB bc we do not need a MLB. That's it though
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Originally posted by captveg:
That '07 draft was pretty great. 5 starters, 3 of them Pro-Bowlers this year.

Singletary probably used Nolans notes for the next years draft when he took over.... because 08, 09 singletary was crap.. Anthony Dixon sucks.. i hate kyle williams.

and how can you miss on picks 11-15.

Nolan and co. were 05-08, Sing was 09-10.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by Niners99:
still standing from...

2005: Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Adam Snyder

2006: Vernon Davis, Parys Haralson, Delanie Walker

2007: Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Ray McDonald, Dashon Goldson, Tarell Brown

2008: Chilo Rachal, Reggie Smith, Josh Morgan, Larry Grant

2009: Michael Crabtree, Ricky-Jean Francois

2010: Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, NaVorro Bowman, Anthony Dixon, Kyle Williams

we got some nice players via the draft, but man did we pick alot of crap I didnt bother listing. we had 50 draft picks from 05-10, and only 22 are still here. 08 and 09 were awful...

I give Nolan and Sing a little credit for pushing the D in the right direction all those years, but its not hard to see why weve been struggling for so long. 08 and 09 netted us almost nothing. we didnt even keep Grant, we lucked into getting him back off the scrap heap.

Then you look at Harbaugh's draft, and he picked Aldon Smith, Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, and Bruce Miller, who were all immediate contributors, plus Kaepernick. Im excited to see a real football mind draft for the next several years. Were going to start hitting on alot more of our picks from here on out.

I believe that "football mind" you speak of is shared by a guy named Baalke...

Yes, both of them know what they're doing. Baalke was around for the past, but 2011 is the first year he probably got a real say in things come draft day. The fact that Sing literally pounded the table to demand Taylor Mays be our 2nd rounder proves the scouting guys didn't have the final choice.

not sure if serious.

Ray Mac was a 3rd round compensatory pick. Who did we lose to get that high of a comp pick?
Originally posted by five1oh:
Ray Mac was a 3rd round compensatory pick. Who did we lose to get that high of a comp pick?

I know we made a trade that we got a 3rd and 4th round draft choices for Brandon lloyd from Washington but I don't know who we gave up in free agency the year before.
Sus, i also think we take 2 , maybe more later, WRs. Try this on for size. Package our 1st pick(#30) with Kap or with luck, craps, and make a run at Blackmon. In a way it would be giving up 2 for 1 but if it were blackmon, i'd do it in a heartbeat. I fully expect to see 4, 5 or even 6 guys in camp that Coach knows from college and wants to see if any might just be that guy that everyone else missed. He and baalke didn't too bad with ALL DONE, who virtually everybody was disappointed with. That shows one thing: these two guys know their business. Throwing in Culliver, Miller, costanzo and acquiring Carlos, and goodwin just shows superior talent evaluation. They didn't miss on much. I am curious who they can peddle craps off to. He ain't a #1 except in pay. In play, make him a #4 or maybe #5

In FA, my hope is for Bowe. Jeez, he will have a shot at SB, will go from KC to SFO, and he has a ready made SB team, desperately in need of his services. Vince Jackson would be fine, (DeSean would NOT), Colston, maybe steelers williams.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

Who is this D Bag and what kinda bet did he lose?
Share 49ersWebzone