There are 209 users in the forums

Joe 'FREAKIN' Montana!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I saw ALL his games at home, away and on TV, but the one that brought tears to the fans was when he came back form his terrible back injury that was supposed to end his career at The Stick. He just played nearly flawless and most thought we could see that the opposed defense was taking it easy on some near sacks through the 1st half, it was amazing. Then as he scored more they came after him but he took it and the win..

Parking lot was a sea of emotions after the game. The Greatest..EVER..Joe Montana..
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Joe was aiight, pretty clutch, but rather limited. He was lucky to have a great coach and stacked team. Still thankful for the wins and SB rings though. Great years, they were back then... and soon will be again.

I hope you are being sarcastic

I guess you don't remember the playoff losses in 83, 85, 86 and 87 then?

He might have been Joe Clutch, but he was far from Joe Perfect.

But there's no doubt he's the greatest 49er QB ever -- and probably ever will be.

Being 45 years old and old enough to have seen all of this happen I would just like to point out that Joe was PERFECT to those of us who witnessed the garbage 49ers of the late 70's. During the 83 85 86 and 87 season Joe in the minds of most 49er fans was perfect regardless of the play-offs outcome.. If he was not then the 49ers would never have been in those play-offs at all. Ok he was not perfect but he was pretty damn close.
GOAT

GOAT

GOAT

GOAT

GOAT

GOAT

I WOULD TAKE A BULLET FOR THAT MAN

Being 45 years old and old enough to have seen all of this happen I would just like to point out that Joe was PERFECT to those of us who witnessed the garbage 49ers of the late 70's. During the 83 85 86 and 87 season Joe in the minds of most 49er fans was perfect regardless of the play-offs outcome.. If he was not then the 49ers would never have been in those play-offs at all. Ok he was not perfect but he was pretty damn close.

Being much older (and wiser?) I know that no human is perfect. And the niners had some very good teams in the early 70's...just couldn't get past the Cowboys. Three divisional championships in 70, 71 and 72. The teams of the 50's were some of my favorite but they couldn't get it done either.

You are likely thinking of the Joe Thomas era where he disassembled the team and is reviled for his effort. Of course, Eddie D hired him but that doesn't seem to tarnish his memory.

If Joe Montana is perfect...why did the 9ers lose in 79 & 80? Must have become perfect after those years?
I am blessed to have watched him play in person.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Joe was aiight, pretty clutch, but rather limited. He was lucky to have a great coach and stacked team. Still thankful for the wins and SB rings though. Great years, they were back then... and soon will be again.

But there's no doubt he's the greatest 49er QB ever -- and probably ever will be.

Yeah, we're about the same age, but I got you by a few years. No doubt he is the greatest QB of all time.

But for those who didn't grow up watching him, you get the idea that they think Joe made ALL the throws ALL the time and never did anything wrong.

That's just not true. What is true is that he hit on more plays than he missed. And he was cool when it counted. Thus the nickname: Joe Cool.
best QB I have ever seen!!!!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Yeah, we're about the same age, but I got you by a few years. No doubt he is the greatest QB of all time.

But for those who didn't grow up watching him, you get the idea that they think Joe made ALL the throws ALL the time and never did anything wrong.

That's just not true. What is true is that he hit on more plays than he missed. And he was cool when it counted. Thus the nickname: Joe Cool.

Another 45er :(

That said, I got to see Joe play and, as I've posted in other threads, really started following the 49ers when my dad was driving me and my brother back from duck hunting during the 45-14 Dallas game in '81. At that point in time, as we were listening to it on the radio (I think KGO), it became clear that Joe, Dwight, and Dwight Hicks and the Hot Licks, had something going. Then I learned about "Hacksaw" and Fred Dean and the rest was history. On the old ESPN boards I used to be Fahnhorse49 in honor of the the two Fahnhorst brothers that played for the team (John and Jim (#55, who started in the USFL)).

So many great memories of Joe. Nobody will ever be able to touch his Super Bowl records. Not a single pick in the 4 games. 4-0. MVP x 3. Beginning with the Cotton Bowl and the 1980 Saints game, we should have known he would be Joe Cool.

If my life depended on 1 QB winning 1 game, I would bet the house (and the farm lol) on #16.

BTW, the pic below is so pimp.

I met him once at 278 Post Street back when I was a kid working at a jewelry store in high school. He happened to get his suits at "The Tailored Man" which was a shop on Stockton. Their fitting room was on the mezanine and I was walking down the stairs and he was walking up (a narrow staircase). Needless to say my jaw dropped and he was actually quite cool to me and despite my absolute fanboy love affair and stuttering, he signed an autograph and chatted about the team for a few minutes. I didn't hurt that I knew all the tailors at the shop and they were waiting for him and kind of gave him the ok that I wasn't some creepy stalker lol. I think it was 1984 during the season but before he won #2.

The only other time that I saw him that close was at the airport (SFO) about 7 years ago and he was on the opposite walking escalator coming toward me. I said "Joe" and he ignored me, trying to be incognito. I turned to everyone around me and I said "that was Joe Montana" and they had the biggest DERP look on their faces. Losers.
Originally posted by zillabeast:

That is PIMP

I can't believe people mention Brady and Manning in the same breath as Joe Montana. Those two clowns couldn't hold his jock strap.
Originally posted by SoCalNiNer91:
Sucks I wasn't around to see this man play videos is all I seen but damn he was good I seen his whole games not jus highlights but any full game I can see of him n damn..I wish we had him now man no doubt we would of been in the super bowl.

Me being 46 years old I can agree this sucks for you ;)
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Another 45er :(

That said, I got to see Joe play and, as I've posted in other threads, really started following the 49ers when my dad was driving me and my brother back from duck hunting during the 45-14 Dallas game in '81. At that point in time, as we were listening to it on the radio (I think KGO), it became clear that Joe, Dwight, and Dwight Hicks and the Hot Licks, had something going. Then I learned about "Hacksaw" and Fred Dean and the rest was history. On the old ESPN boards I used to be Fahnhorse49 in honor of the the two Fahnhorst brothers that played for the team (John and Jim (#55, who started in the USFL)).

So many great memories of Joe. Nobody will ever be able to touch his Super Bowl records. Not a single pick in the 4 games. 4-0. MVP x 3. Beginning with the Cotton Bowl and the 1980 Saints game, we should have known he would be Joe Cool.

If my life depended on 1 QB winning 1 game, I would bet the house (and the farm lol) on #16.

BTW, the pic below is so pimp.

I met him once at 278 Post Street back when I was a kid working at a jewelry store in high school. He happened to get his suits at "The Tailored Man" which was a shop on Stockton. Their fitting room was on the mezanine and I was walking down the stairs and he was walking up (a narrow staircase). Needless to say my jaw dropped and he was actually quite cool to me and despite my absolute fanboy love affair and stuttering, he signed an autograph and chatted about the team for a few minutes. I didn't hurt that I knew all the tailors at the shop and they were waiting for him and kind of gave him the ok that I wasn't some creepy stalker lol. I think it was 1984 during the season but before he won #2.

The only other time that I saw him that close was at the airport (SFO) about 7 years ago and he was on the opposite walking escalator coming toward me. I said "Joe" and he ignored me, trying to be incognito. I turned to everyone around me and I said "that was Joe Montana" and they had the biggest DERP look on their faces. Losers.

I'm now 46 years old. had a birthday in October ;)
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Being much older (and wiser?) I know that no human is perfect. And the niners had some very good teams in the early 70's...just couldn't get past the Cowboys. Three divisional championships in 70, 71 and 72. The teams of the 50's were some of my favorite but they couldn't get it done either.

You are likely thinking of the Joe Thomas era where he disassembled the team and is reviled for his effort. Of course, Eddie D hired him but that doesn't seem to tarnish his memory.

If Joe Montana is perfect...why did the 9ers lose in 79 & 80? Must have become perfect after those years?

lol @ the wiser comment. As far as why YOU ASK Montana and the 49ers "lose in 79 &80 " I thought you said you were wiser?
[ Edited by 49erswillbeback on Dec 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone