There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Joe 'FREAKIN' Montana!!!

Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Joe was aiight, pretty clutch, but rather limited. He was lucky to have a great coach and stacked team. Still thankful for the wins and SB rings though. Great years, they were back then... and soon will be again.

I hope you are being sarcastic
Really!
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Joe was aiight, pretty clutch, but rather limited. He was lucky to have a great coach and stacked team. Still thankful for the wins and SB rings though. Great years, they were back then... and soon will be again.

I hope you are being sarcastic
Really!

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Joe was aiight, pretty clutch, but rather limited. He was lucky to have a great coach and stacked team. Still thankful for the wins and SB rings though. Great years, they were back then... and soon will be again.

I hope you are being sarcastic

I guess you don't remember the playoff losses in 83, 85, 86 and 87 then?

He might have been Joe Clutch, but he was far from Joe Perfect.

But there's no doubt he's the greatest 49er QB ever -- and probably ever will be.

Bill speaking the truth, sometimes I wonder if guys like Dirty were even alive then, it seems like their Joe moments all come from highlight reels. For example everyone knows about "the catch" but how many people actually remember how poorly Joe played in that game up until that infamous play? He is one of the best not because he put up crazy stats all the time, but because most of the time when the chips were down, he was clutch. Definitely the best QB in the one category that you want (Superbowl wins) but it wasn't ever like he was the guy carrying the team, he always had great defenses and a top tier running game. I was a fan of his even before the Niners got him, my grandpa was a Notre Dame fan and I saw most of Joe's college play as well. He wasn't perfect he had some limitations like every QB does, the thing that made him so great was what Walsh taught him in the WCO system and the clutchness that made him Joe Cool.


Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Bill speaking the truth, sometimes I wonder if guys like Dirty were even alive then, it seems like their Joe moments all come from highlight reels. For example everyone knows about "the catch" but how many people actually remember how poorly Joe played in that game up until that infamous play? He is one of the best not because he put up crazy stats all the time, but because most of the time when the chips were down, he was clutch. Definitely the best QB in the one category that you want (Superbowl wins) but it wasn't ever like he was the guy carrying the team, he always had great defenses and a top tier running game. I was a fan of his even before the Niners got him, my grandpa was a Notre Dame fan and I saw most of Joe's college play as well. He wasn't perfect he had some limitations like every QB does, the thing that made him so great was what Walsh taught him in the WCO system and the clutchness that made him Joe Cool.

Lol wow a guy from Memphis is trying to school me on the career of Joe Montana. You guys must feel really smart trying to point out the flaws of the greatest QB of all time.


Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Lol wow a guy from Memphis is trying to school me on the career of Joe Montana. You guys must feel really smart trying to point out the flaws of the greatest QB of all time.

Just being honest! My favorite player of all time but he wasn't superman...his kryptonite was a DT landing on him...just like most QB. He did have my all time favorite coach calling the plays, and his line was excellent--coached by the best OLine coach of all time. He didn't always have the best receivers but many of them were work-a-holics with Montana and could run exact routes to Walsh's liking.

I believe Montana's stats are not the best...not most yards, not the highest completion percentage, not the most rushing yards for a QB, and he could not throw as far as many QBs could...but he did tend to play extremely well in clutch moments. Sounds like another QB I've been following...naw...that would be blasphemy!

Say it, your a Brady fan
Originally posted by ninerfan52:

Say it, your a Brady fan

Among others!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Just being honest! My favorite player of all time but he wasn't superman...his kryptonite was a DT landing on him...just like most QB. He did have my all time favorite coach calling the plays, and his line was excellent--coached by the best OLine coach of all time. He didn't always have the best receivers but many of them were work-a-holics with Montana and could run exact routes to Walsh's liking.

I believe Montana's stats are not the best...not most yards, not the highest completion percentage, not the most rushing yards for a QB, and he could not throw as far as many QBs could...but he did tend to play extremely well in clutch moments. Sounds like another QB I've been following...naw...that would be blasphemy!

4 championships, 3 superbowl mvps, 13 touchdowns 0 interceptions and he outplayed the best QBs of his era. Name another QB who has even come close to that.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Bill speaking the truth, sometimes I wonder if guys like Dirty were even alive then, it seems like their Joe moments all come from highlight reels. For example everyone knows about "the catch" but how many people actually remember how poorly Joe played in that game up until that infamous play? He is one of the best not because he put up crazy stats all the time, but because most of the time when the chips were down, he was clutch. Definitely the best QB in the one category that you want (Superbowl wins) but it wasn't ever like he was the guy carrying the team, he always had great defenses and a top tier running game. I was a fan of his even before the Niners got him, my grandpa was a Notre Dame fan and I saw most of Joe's college play as well. He wasn't perfect he had some limitations like every QB does, the thing that made him so great was what Walsh taught him in the WCO system and the clutchness that made him Joe Cool.

Lol wow a guy from Memphis is trying to school me on the career of Joe Montana. You guys must feel really smart trying to point out the flaws of the greatest QB of all time.
It would seem like you should brush up on your knowledge, and what does where I come from have anything to do with it? Does it make you feel like a better fan because of where you live? Should you feel bad that someone from 2k miles away knows more about Montana than you? I think not, I have been watching Niner games since 1980 and the advent of satellite TV, and Joe Montana since his college days. My point is how you guys make the guy out to be perfect in every aspect of his game, he wasn't, he had limitations like every player in the NFL does. He is my favorite player and THE reason I became a Niner fan, but still I can recognize that he wasn't flawless, he just had the right coach to put him in a position to succeed, not to mention he always had a supporting cast that is often overlooked by guys who weren't around when he was actually playing.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
4 championships, 3 superbowl mvps, 13 touchdowns 0 interceptions and he outplayed the best QBs of his era. Name another QB who has even come close to that.

Don't have to...already stated that he is my all time favorite NFL player. That still does not mean he was perfect. Sorry but if you took every starting QB from the beginning of the NFL and developed a perfect rating system from one (bad) to one thousand (perfect), Montana would be the highest but would be only about fifty to a hundred points from the worst. In other words, these guys are all thoroughbreds, great athletes who are playing the most difficult position in all sports, and Montana was the best.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
-ALWAYS WON WITH THE GAME ON THE LINE!
-DIDN'T NEED A KICKER TO GET THE JOB DONE!!
-NEVER THREW A PICK IN THE SUPERBOWL!!!
-NEVER f**kED UP WITH THE GAME ON THE LINE!!!!
-DOMINATED TEAMS WITH SUPERIOR TALENT!!!!!
-WON GAMES WITH GUYS NAMED FREDDIE SOLOMON!!!!!!
-4-0!!!!!!!





If you are trying to roast Alex Smith with this , u aren't saying much! U can't compare a good QB to a legend. That's like me saying Michael Jordan is better than Tony Parker of the spurs. NO DUHHH
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Joe was aiight, pretty clutch, but rather limited. He was lucky to have a great coach and stacked team. Still thankful for the wins and SB rings though. Great years, they were back then... and soon will be again.

Yeah... He's certainly no Alex Smith...
Dayum... how did you guys even turned this into a Smith thread....

We were talking about a legendary qb with some great and not so great games...

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
It would seem like you should brush up on your knowledge, and what does where I come from have anything to do with it? Does it make you feel like a better fan because of where you live? Should you feel bad that someone from 2k miles away knows more about Montana than you? I think not, I have been watching Niner games since 1980 and the advent of satellite TV, and Joe Montana since his college days. My point is how you guys make the guy out to be perfect in every aspect of his game, he wasn't, he had limitations like every player in the NFL does. He is my favorite player and THE reason I became a Niner fan, but still I can recognize that he wasn't flawless, he just had the right coach to put him in a position to succeed, not to mention he always had a supporting cast that is often overlooked by guys who weren't around when he was actually playing.




Magic satellite? I was at the 1981 NFC championship. Your assumption that you know more than me about a guy I grew up watching simply because you point out that he lost in the playoffs (who hasn't?) is laughable to me.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Sep 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Don't have to...already stated that he is my all time favorite NFL player. That still does not mean he was perfect. Sorry but if you took every starting QB from the beginning of the NFL and developed a perfect rating system from one (bad) to one thousand (perfect), Montana would be the highest but would be only about fifty to a hundred points from the worst. In other words, these guys are all thoroughbreds, great athletes who are playing the most difficult position in all sports, and Montana was the best.


Who said he was perfect? I said he was the best. You can't call a guy "limited" when he won more than anyone. His "limitations" manifested themselves into the most efficient winner the QB position has ever seen
Montana was the typical drop back qb at the time. He didn't have the big gun like Elways, Marino, or some other guys I can't think of right now. Can't flick his arm and have the ball going 30+ yards. He didn't need to. He played within the offense. Made great decision on the field. Won a bunch of games doing it. And most importantly got his offensive guys involved.

'Limited' -- a BS undefined term people recently labeled on a qb.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Who said he was perfect? I said he was the best. You can't call a guy "limited" when he won more than anyone. His "limitations" manifested themselves into the most efficient winner the QB position has ever seen

You are missing the point...every single player is limited. If you don't think they are limited then they have to be perfect. The humor involved in my post is that when folks try to provoke us by saying a certain QB is limited, we almost all (probably all but I don't want to speak in absolute terms) understand that every QB is limited in their abilities...even the greatest. So it's not an insult but an acknowledgment of reality.
4-0 SB meh...if Nate Davis had Bill Walsh as coach he would have had like 11 SB wins
Originally posted by ninermedic:
4-0 SB meh...if Nate Davis had Bill Walsh as coach he would have had like 11 SB wins