LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Joe 'FREAKIN' Montana!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
I love the pass too, hopefully we can have another 3,000+ season
Amen, You should only listen to current music too. Why listen to the Beatles, Stones, Motown, Hendrix, because who wants to listen and appreciate the past hell if the original copyright is before 2000 you should just delete it off your computer.

But my argument on why Montana is the greatest is not even when he was with the Niners but the Chiefs. He took a team when he was at the end of his career and his skills diminishing to the AFC championship with a bunch of guys most casual fans couldn't even name. He almost made Willie Davis a Pro Bowler
WON GAMES WITH GUYS NAMED FREDDIE SOLOMON!!!!!!

Receptions - 371
Receiving yards - 5,846
Yards per catch - 15.8
Receiving touchdowns - 48

I don't know if you're trying to slight Freddie Solomon or maybe you never saw him play. He was one of the best receivers in 49er history. As good as he was, he was even a better human being.
Freddie Solomon was the deep threat in Walsh's offense. Freddie helped guys like Dwight Clark get open and their catches by Walsh's design. Walsh drew up 'the Catch' play to go to Freddie Solomon. It shows how much Walsh thought of Freddie.
I don't think the point was to insult Freddie Solomon. At least I hope it wasn't, because Solomon was very key in the early development of this offense. However, many are under the impression that the ONLY reason Montana won is because he had Jerry Rice to throw to and Roger Craig to hand the ball to, when in fact, he had two rings before Rice was even in the league. He won wherever he went. Notre Dame, San Francisco, and Kansas City too.
I agree with LB49ers. What he did with Kansas City is very impressive. He got Marty Schottenheimer two playoff wins for goodness sakes. He took it to San Francisco (even if we weren't all together yet as a team, he still won with the Chiefs over us). It also was the one time in my life I rooted against the 49ers.

He also has the ability to take an incredible beating (see the game in Philly, 1989 season), and still come back and win.
Joe was aiight, pretty clutch, but rather limited. He was lucky to have a great coach and stacked team. Still thankful for the wins and SB rings though. Great years, they were back then... and soon will be again.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Joe was aiight, pretty clutch, but rather limited. He was lucky to have a great coach and stacked team. Still thankful for the wins and SB rings though. Great years, they were back then... and soon will be again.

I hope you are being sarcastic
Originally posted by DirtyP:

I guess you don't remember the playoff losses in 83, 85, 86 and 87 then?

He might have been Joe Clutch, but he was far from Joe Perfect.

But there's no doubt he's the greatest 49er QB ever -- and probably ever will be.
One thing that people don't much realized. Joe was tough. Don't look it, but tough. Takes big hits. Came back from back surgery and looked like nothing happened.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

But there's no doubt he's the greatest 49er QB ever -- and probably ever will be.

Bill speaking the truth, sometimes I wonder if guys like Dirty were even alive then, it seems like their Joe moments all come from highlight reels. For example everyone knows about "the catch" but how many people actually remember how poorly Joe played in that game up until that infamous play? He is one of the best not because he put up crazy stats all the time, but because most of the time when the chips were down, he was clutch. Definitely the best QB in the one category that you want (Superbowl wins) but it wasn't ever like he was the guy carrying the team, he always had great defenses and a top tier running game. I was a fan of his even before the Niners got him, my grandpa was a Notre Dame fan and I saw most of Joe's college play as well. He wasn't perfect he had some limitations like every QB does, the thing that made him so great was what Walsh taught him in the WCO system and the clutchness that made him Joe Cool.

Joe was spotty in college. He didn't get a chance to play very much. One of the reason he fell to the 3rd round. Not a lot people know about him compared to other qb coming out at the time. Looks frail too. And had some injuries.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Bill speaking the truth, sometimes I wonder if guys like Dirty were even alive then, it seems like their Joe moments all come from highlight reels. For example everyone knows about "the catch" but how many people actually remember how poorly Joe played in that game up until that infamous play? He is one of the best not because he put up crazy stats all the time, but because most of the time when the chips were down, he was clutch. Definitely the best QB in the one category that you want (Superbowl wins) but it wasn't ever like he was the guy carrying the team, he always had great defenses and a top tier running game. I was a fan of his even before the Niners got him, my grandpa was a Notre Dame fan and I saw most of Joe's college play as well. He wasn't perfect he had some limitations like every QB does, the thing that made him so great was what Walsh taught him in the WCO system and the clutchness that made him Joe Cool.

Lol wow a guy from Memphis is trying to school me on the career of Joe Montana. You guys must feel really smart trying to point out the flaws of the greatest QB of all time.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

So I guess the guy should have won the Super Bowl every year of his career? He's still the greatest QB to ever play the game
[ Edited by DirtyP on Sep 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM ]
Lol wow a guy from Memphis is trying to school me on the career of Joe Montana. You guys must feel really smart trying to point out the flaws of the greatest QB of all time.

Just being honest! My favorite player of all time but he wasn't superman...his kryptonite was a DT landing on him...just like most QB. He did have my all time favorite coach calling the plays, and his line was excellent--coached by the best OLine coach of all time. He didn't always have the best receivers but many of them were work-a-holics with Montana and could run exact routes to Walsh's liking.

I believe Montana's stats are not the best...not most yards, not the highest completion percentage, not the most rushing yards for a QB, and he could not throw as far as many QBs could...but he did tend to play extremely well in clutch moments. Sounds like another QB I've been following...naw...that would be blasphemy!

Really!
Share 49ersWebzone