There are 181 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why the 49ers win SB XLVII

Because of Norwalk's Best comment re: how Cam Newton would have given the 9ers the SB this yr, I feel compelled to bring up the Peyton Manning issue and put it to rest before we see a slew of "Bring Peyton to 49ers " posts.

First, Cam Newton. Bringing him into the equation is silly, because he is not available, so thinking about something like that is like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. In other words, it was an impossibility to bring cam newton here(he's under contract...a good one), so the discussion is pointless. Peyton, on the other hand, is not impossible, and to be honest, very possible. But would we? Should we? It has already been discussed that Peyton needs to go to a place with a good OL and a coach who says, "Peyton, it's yours. Do your best". Well, theorhetically, we could do it. But here's why we won't nor should we.

1) Peyton is an unknown physical commodity at present, and if his nerves regenerate as he would like, he thinks he will be ready to go. Here I take a bit of physician's license as well as a 13 time neurosurgical failure and say, if he gets the regeneration fantastic. I have no idea whether he will be ok or not. Odds are, that after several neurosurgical operations and things aren't back to near normal, that he won't return to near normal. I have 13 neurologic back surgeries that prove that very point. You generally don't need a second or more surgery if first one works. So without having seen his records, nor MRIs, nor doing any research on his history, my guess would strongly be he isn't going to return to normal, and hence the risk to us vs the potential reward, would not be worth it.

2) 49ers: Coach Harbaugh has built an amazing powerhouse, bound for more glory, and longevity to boot. In other words, we are close to a SB, and better yet, repeating it. And this is only JH's first yr 6 months with the team. And who of our players, is that mega super star, eg, like Peyton, that make this team so great and football solid? Well everyone locally knows p52, the 3 smith brothers...alex, ALL DONE, and Justin. Warriors all, but not mega super stars. Start looking around and you see Bowman, Staley, AD, Iupati, BigMac, Soap, Goldson, whitner, brown, carlos , culliver, ginn, Andy Lee, akers, Vernon , FRank. These and others are all really good guys, great players, but unified under the best coach in the nfl (this yr and others coming up), who is a blue collar guy, Puritan work ethic, no nonsense, "get 'er done" mentality, with no real true superstars. And yet we were arguably the best team in the NFL, and certainly on a par with GB, Saints, NYG. Our future is all ahead of us. Our long nites and days behind. It would be an incredibly bad idea to bring an x factor in which could tilt the tables on JH and upset the beauty of a team he has put together. I see no way bringing peyton in would do anything but be a bad idea for the 9ers, even if we got a 6th SB out of it. It would ruin team morale, team solidity, and in the end, even with another SB, would cause us to be a lesser team.

3)Finally Peyton. If I could get a message to him it would be this: You are upright. You can walk and use your arms. You have had a phenomenal run.Quit now while you are still ahead physically, and don't risk any further injury that you would carry for the rest of your life. In sum, anyplace Peyton goes is a bad idea...especially for him.
the above assessment includes retaining Carlos, and Brooks, which will take some creative contract drawing up. I would still like to see us make a run at Blackmon, with craps , our 1st pick(#30), and maybe even Kap. Tolzien seems way better as far as taking over if alex goes out. Kap is still rough. Dumping craps for equal value, adding Kap, will wipe out two salaries, and allow us a run at blackmon. If not doable, then still trade craps for equal value, trade #30 pick, and expect Coach H to come up with a list of WRs he knew from college, both Pac 12 and out of conference, and don't you know he has his eyes on several, maybe many more. I would love to see 8 WRs UDFAs, show up in camp and we end up signing 2. We HAVE to get a FA, hopefully Bowe, but we should have some money freed up if we dump craps for a raw talent but a guy who is a team mate, not just a "player". The Kap thing could have merit if someone wants a talent at Qb, and takes Kap with craps/ our 1st pick/ or some other combo. That way we can FA one WR , maybe draft a TE who is really a WR(Fleener) and then pick up a talent way down the draft. We will need some kind of combo package swap/trade esp if it includes craps so that allows us to grab 3 more WRs for #2, #3, and #4. And one of those could be Fleener a TE(who plays like WR).
Man, it just keeps coming. To summarize:

Vernon, bona fide ALL PRO TE

ALL DONE and JUSTIN, best DL tandem in league

Best ILB tandem in league , p-52 and Bowman. p-52 once again ALL PRO

Best front 7 in league, and by game 12, 12 INTs and crunching hits on receivers and runners earn D backfield part of BEST D in LEAGUE

Best Turnover ratio in league

STs best in league w/ 15-20 net yrds on each punt exchange

Best PK in league

COY, Coach Harbaugh best coach in league.

and finally, today, Trent Baalke, Best Executive (GM) in league.

On O we still have Frank and a QB who had a 104 rating in conference title game. OL is vastly improved, and we have bona fide OL, staley, Iupati,Goodwin, snyder, AD.
It is no secret we have a #3 WR and #4 WR in Morgan and craps. We need and will get a #1, for certain , also a # 2 and maybe ginn and kyle as the #3---#5 WRs. Craps is our only liability at WR and i expect him gone before season begins. We should be odds on favorite for a title shot, once we get our #1 and #2 WRs by FA and draft.
What in the world is there not to like about this team. Finally after 12 yrs, SFO is a dream place to come play, and guys are finally going to want to come here...good guys. If you doubt it, just reread bolded above.
Because the "Peyton to the 49ers" has come up as I wrote that it would earlier, I refer you all to post # 46 in this thread as to why Peyton is NOT a good idea here. We are going to do fine without Peyton, unless he could play WR. I feel bringing him in to the 9ers would be a backward step for the team, esp since Peyton is 35, going on 65. Sure his neurosurgical procedure may work, but anytime one has 3 procedures, It generally indicates that first one or two didn't work. With Peyton here, JH would have to rearrange the team to fit Peyton's needs and demands, and while that may work for a yr, it would then set us back over the long run, when Peyton stepped down or couldn't throw as he wanted. This is no knock on Peyton, but the health issue is really up in the air, and betting everything of an iffy issue like that is something the home team should be considering, not us.

Instead of Peyton, trade craps for equal value plus a high pick, and bring in 3 guys who are good hands guys, even if one is a TE, and the others are WRs. I made a pitch earlier on for a run at blackmon, but realistically that probably won't fly. Besides, my gut tells me Coach and Trent are going to acquire a #1 WR from FA, then get a bona fide #2(or equally good TE) and
THEN bring into camp several late draft pick WRs as well as a bunch, maybe 6-8 WRs who are UDFAs, and see if there is a gem amongst them. Jeremy Lin anybody?

As for Peyton coming here...unh, unh. Lastly and most important, Peyton needs to realize that he is still functional outside of football. One good hit and he may end up a cripple, and NOBODY wants to see that. Good medical advice would be for him to retire as one of the best of all time. Having had 13 back surgeries, all neurosurgical, i can attest to "give it up now while you can still walk away from it." .Otherwise he may be carried out...and that would be the ultimate tragedy in all this.

We still win SB XLVII...and others
I agree with your assessment Pasodoc9er. I think that same as you. I think if we could trade Crabtree and get another draft pick and get a FA WR and Fleener, and Adam, etc we would be vastly improved. I also think we need to get another RB in the draft, and I personally would like to try Peyton Hillis if we could get him cheap. Then the RG issue needs to be settled and Davis and Iupati need to take there next steps in development. I think WRs, RB, Two TE system, and further timing trust with A. Smith will go a long way to make our offense a top ten offense to go along with our top five defense.

It is also clear we need to do all we can to get Ginn, Rogers, and Brooks settled for our defense to keep its run going. I am hoping Dobbs develops into our next J. Smith but that is a position we need to be preparing for, along with McDonald who does not have a lot of years left either. So another big body, high motor player need to be drafted.

Then I think Roman's game plan needs to expand to a better use of screens and passing to incorporate all our new talent. So I agree that SF is a super bowl contenter in 2012.
don't count on haveing a better season than last year ,but hopfully we will make the playoffs again .
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I agree with your assessment Pasodoc9er. I think that same as you. I think if we could trade Crabtree and get another draft pick and get a FA WR and Fleener, and Adam, etc we would be vastly improved. I also think we need to get another RB in the draft, and I personally would like to try Peyton Hillis if we could get him cheap. Then the RG issue needs to be settled and Davis and Iupati need to take there next steps in development. I think WRs, RB, Two TE system, and further timing trust with A. Smith will go a long way to make our offense a top ten offense to go along with our top five defense.

It is also clear we need to do all we can to get Ginn, Rogers, and Brooks settled for our defense to keep its run going. I am hoping Dobbs develops into our next J. Smith but that is a position we need to be preparing for, along with McDonald who does not have a lot of years left either. So another big body, high motor player need to be drafted.

Then I think Roman's game plan needs to expand to a better use of screens and passing to incorporate all our new talent. So I agree that SF is a super bowl contenter in 2012.
You don't trade the top WR on your team when you don't have any depth as it is. That is how you end up with Brett Swain playing. Fleener is a no when you've got 2 solid TE"s already. You don't draft a RB eith when you've got Gore and Hunter already set at least for this year. Peyton Hillis is a no when we've got to spend all this money resigning Alex, Dashon, Carlos, etc... We need to draft a WR such as Randle, Sanu, or Jeffrey and group him with Crabs, Morgan, Vernon, and Delanie complimented by Gore/ Hunter = Championship
There was a thread on why we would win SB XLVI too....
Sincal, I wish i had as much faith in craps as you do. Hey, maybe this is his yr to "get it". But how can we pay him and a FA for #1 WR money, when he has performed closer to a #4 or #5. Yes he had flashes of brilliance this yr, esp in midseason, and then disappeared in playoffs. So my question is, do you NOT want us to bring in a FA #1 WR, and
HOPE craps comes thru as our #1? Or do you want to see what we could get for craps and bring in a #1? Bowe, Vince Jackson, Colston are out there. Do you really want to gamble with our #1 WR coming to us thru the draft? My guess was we were going to get a FA for #1 WR and then get a #2 WR in draft. So i am curious how would you see this WR issue going down. We also need a backup OG and RB, maybe corner if we don't sign our guys. But WR we are naked, with basically Morgan, probably a #2 or #3, craps at #4, and maybe Ginn/kyle at #5. Somehow we have to conjure up a #1 and #2. If we keep craps, we end up paying two guys #1 money and i have a hard time believing that will happen. Your thots?