LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Why the 49ers win SB XLVII

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
Alex Smith is gonna throw 50 TDs next season.

THAT'S HELLA FUNNY.

I don't know about 50, but I think he can reach 25+ with a coupple added pieces at Wr(or even TE for all those who are pushing Fleender in the draft forum).
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Some of you guys are getting way ahead of yourselves.

Yeah, getting to the NFC Championship game took 6 months of building momentum to push us to that point. Come late July it starts again. We got there by building week after week. If we are fortunate enough to get to that point again we must then take the same approach as this past year. It will not happen simply by showing up and expecting it to.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
No way we sustain that TO margin next season.....
I love this response, you are basically implying that our defense cant hold somebody from scoring unless our opponent turns the ball over 2 times a game. Thank you for the great analysis Now that I know this, I wont even watch football next year.
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
No way we sustain that TO margin next season.....
I love this response, you are basically implying that our defense cant hold somebody from scoring unless our opponent turns the ball over 2 times a game. Thank you for the great analysis Now that I know this, I wont even watch football next year.

Who said I was just talking about defense? Didn't know this thread required a descriptive, detailed and formidable opinion.
I want to believe.....but ...(sigh) looking to the schedule...it won't be easy......we have a chance,but is not something for sure....this was a golden opportunity.once in a lifetime......I want to ...but .....it will take a few seasons to get this close again......
I want to believe.....but ...(sigh) looking to the schedule...it won't be easy......we have a chance,but is not something for sure....this was a golden opportunity.once in a lifetime......I want to ...but .....it will take a few seasons to get this close again......
I believe this team has the right attitude to excell. The NFL season is a fragile thing though. One or two key injuries and things can change in a heartbeat. The opportunity was golden and for the taking this year. Lets hope that we dont have to dwell on this miss for another decade.
[ Edited by facestabber on Feb 6, 2012 at 7:14 PM ]
Vernon establishes himself as a bona fide all pro TE, but we lose Delanie, AND Morgan. Crabtree makes some circus catches, followed by periods of completely disappearing, unforunately including in the playoffs. Our #1 WR by paygrade plays like a #4 or #5...and it really hurts us, especially on 3rd downs where there is nowhere to throw to...except Vernon, but that only goes so far. Our OL reaches new highs blocking for our established #1 QB, and alex responds by leading to 14 Ws with virtually no WR participation. Amazing, but it happened.

Totally agree, especially about our WR's. We really don't have a true #1 guy on our roster. Crabs is a #3 guy. Morgan is still our solid reliable #2. We need to address this early in the draft (1st round). This is our one big hole that we need to fill.
Obviously, we didn't see the runs by alex until late in season and playoffs when we had to have the yards. That feature, his legs, is another factor not advertised by Coach H, but used very selectively to get us Ws. Look at Cam Newton, 2000yds rushing and 8000 yrds passing. Wins? unhh...hold on a minute and I'll get back to you on that. Point is alex was being coached to play winning , conservative football. Several reasons, but one mentioned most commonly and our biggest headache, is no #1,2 or 3 WRs. Give craps a # 5 altho he is paid as a #1. How alex and coach H fashioned 14 Ws out of a team with no #1, #2, nor #3 WRs, is truly amazing. In a situation where you can only throw to your TE as a bona fide target, that dries up pretty quick. With the WRs for RZ and moving chains on 3rd downs, can anyone even fathom just how good this team is going to be. Also, mentioned before, we need a backup OG for chilo. That didn't work out. 68 TDs and another 21 running TDs won't match Cam newtons 10,000 yds every yr. But why is that happening? Well, mainly because those guys don't have a hint of the team we do. Nonetheless, i do see alex's TDs going up when he actually has some WRs that can catch a ball. Don't know if his run TDs incr, but i would guess not. What will happen will be the big change on 3rd downs, definitely our Waterloo this yr.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Obviously, we didn't see the runs by alex until late in season and playoffs when we had to have the yards. That feature, his legs, is another factor not advertised by Coach H, but used very selectively to get us Ws. Look at Cam Newton, 2000yds rushing and 8000 yrds passing. Wins? unhh...hold on a minute and I'll get back to you on that. Point is alex was being coached to play winning , conservative football. Several reasons, but one mentioned most commonly and our biggest headache, is no #1,2 or 3 WRs. Give craps a # 5 altho he is paid as a #1. How alex and coach H fashioned 14 Ws out of a team with no #1, #2, nor #3 WRs, is truly amazing. In a situation where you can only throw to your TE as a bona fide target, that dries up pretty quick. With the WRs for RZ and moving chains on 3rd downs, can anyone even fathom just how good this team is going to be. Also, mentioned before, we need a backup OG for chilo. That didn't work out. 68 TDs and another 21 running TDs won't match Cam newtons 10,000 yds every yr. But why is that happening? Well, mainly because those guys don't have a hint of the team we do. Nonetheless, i do see alex's TDs going up when he actually has some WRs that can catch a ball. Don't know if his run TDs incr, but i would guess not. What will happen will be the big change on 3rd downs, definitely our Waterloo this yr.

Dude if we had CAM NEWTON in our team we would have won the SB and he's a rookie. NOT to mention NEWTON does not have the best DEFENSE in the league like ALEXIS HAS! DEFENSE & KICKER carried us all year our 26th ranked offense was OFFENSIVE to watch. NEWTON adds a dimension that ALEXIS does not have or ever will have.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Dude if we had CAM NEWTON in our team we would have won the SB and he's a rookie. NOT to mention NEWTON does not have the best DEFENSE in the league like ALEXIS HAS! DEFENSE & KICKER carried us all year our 26th ranked offense was OFFENSIVE to watch. NEWTON adds a dimension that ALEXIS does not have or ever will have.

And you know that because...he's a rookie and makes rookie decisions? He throws a lot of interceptions? He would most likely not have any more luck with the 9er WRs than Smith did? So I would not gamble much on this hunch.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

And you know that because...he's a rookie and makes rookie decisions? He throws a lot of interceptions? He would most likely not have any more luck with the 9er WRs than Smith did? So I would not gamble much on this hunch.

Majority of people will prefer Newton over Smith any day. Rookie and more upside than Smith who still makes rookie mistakes at times. You can't argue with that. Newton with 49ers would be better offensively cause of his legs and arm has better accuracy and touch on the deep ball.
Majority of people will prefer Newton over Smith any day. Rookie and more upside than Smith who still makes rookie mistakes at times. You can't argue with that. Newton with 49ers would be better offensively cause of his legs and arm has better accuracy and touch on the deep ball.

I like Newton a great deal and would be tempted to trade Smith for him but SF seems on the verge of being a great team with a vet QB not making mistakes...not sure Cam would do as well. Understand liking the guy though, he'll be a terror to defend.
Hey, no knock on Cam, and yeah he is something special...really special. Point was that this is our team, and alex happens to be the QB who at Coach H's instruction took what was there
(not much) and played near flawless football based on what he didn't have to work with , WR-wise. Sure, Newton probably would have won the SB on this team, but he's elsewhere, which doesn't have a heckuva lot going for it save their spectacular Qb. Just dealing with what is, ie, what we have, and how we got so incredibly far, was the point. Alex can and will pass for more TDs this yr with bona fide targets...that he didn't have this yr. Vernon is one man, and did his job. We need the WRs to give alex the opportunity to make it happen. Whatever does happen, bet on this. If Coach wants alex to throw for a gazillion yds he will...given the WRs. But that won't be Harbaugh's way. He will methodically return us to the SB with the team we have now plus 3 REAL WRs, and he will probably have alex throwing in RZ and on 3rd downs....successfully, and Cam will go on and set records, but will be a long way from SB come playoff time. One guy can't do it all, but many guys working together , all with same goal and tired of the gutter...well they can. Bet on it. I am.
Share 49ersWebzone