LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Walsh the Greatest Coach Ever?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
these debates get too intense, theres about 20 something other teams who'd love to be in the best coach, best player debates, we're in them and that should be enough, our accomplishments stand on their own, who gives a f**k if some others disagree
Originally posted by crabman82:
these debates get too intense, theres about 20 something other teams who'd love to be in the best coach, best player debates, we're in them and that should be enough, our accomplishments stand on their own, who gives a f**k if some others disagree

Well, if you don't give a "f**k" why bother join the discussion?
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
Originally posted by crabman82:

Well, if you don't give a "f**k" why bother join the discussion?

cus i felt like throwing my 2 cents in on this topic, deal with it
Walsh was the greatest coach, even Belichick proves it in his actions below.

Belichick on "Finding the Winning Edge"
http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2007/08/belichick-on-finding-winning-edge.html
I say Walsh is the greatest coach ever because what his knowledge and presence did to the NFL. His coaching tree is phenomenal. From Green Bay to Denver and inbetween. No other coach in the NFL has more coaches that did well under his tutelage. The guy is a genius. Rest in peace.
A combination of a great football mind and coach. No one comes close. There maybe better coaches or equally good football minds like Coryell. But Walsh has that rare combo. He may not be an originator but a very good innovator. Building on a better offensive system.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
To be the greatest coach you have to be a great innovator and a winner. Paul Brown was in 6 straight NFL Championships from 1950-55. He computerized the game before there was a computer. Vince Lombardi was a great coach, his record of 5 Championships speaks for itself. Coach Bill Walsh is in the category of the other two. His cerebral approach is still studied in today's game. There are others but these 3 standout for their eras.

Agree with this but would add Walsh's overall knowledge of both sides of the ball, and special teams. Masters Degree in defense and he always approached his offense with an eye on how to stop it. Very global thinker...and even though he was not a very warm person much of the time his players believed in him.

One of my favorite aspect of his coaching was the use of running of plays to get players in shape and to not waste time. Running the plays over and over until the players stopped thinking and just reacted. Later coaches ran the plays a certain number of times and then went on to the next thing without concern for getting it right. He also kept practice on schedule so players were not standing around waiting...considered it respectful toward everyone. Love hearing others thoughts on this! Great thread.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Walsh is the best
Lombardi is second.....Walsh did it against better competition and not just mainly sweeps and run plays like the packers in the 60's

Lombardi was before the era of Super Bowls. It was way at the end of his career they even had Super Bowls. If they had them the whole time he may have 10 Super Bowl wins.

Of the modern guys it is Belicheck. 5 Super Bowls. 3 win, 1 loss, 1 undecided as of yet.

Yes Lombardi would of had more abs against lesser competition with less teams in the league maybe 5 of which were good. So the sb rings arguement does not apply.

As for bellicheck, he LOST a sb and the 3 he won were only by 3, also he cheated so those wins by 3 points would of most definitely been losses bc cheating and filming practices the week of the sb is worth a lot more than 3 points. So Walsh is a lot better. I bet you forgot all of that huh?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Walsh is the best
Lombardi is second.....Walsh did it against better competition and not just mainly sweeps and run plays like the packers in the 60's

Lombardi was before the era of Super Bowls. It was way at the end of his career they even had Super Bowls. If they had them the whole time he may have 10 Super Bowl wins.

Of the modern guys it is Belicheck. 5 Super Bowls. 3 win, 1 loss, 1 undecided as of yet.

Yes Lombardi would of had more abs against lesser competition with less teams in the league maybe 5 of which were good. So the sb rings arguement does not apply.

As for bellicheck, he LOST a sb and the 3 he won were only by 3, also he cheated so those wins by 3 points would of most definitely been losses bc cheating and filming practices the week of the sb is worth a lot more than 3 points. So Walsh is a lot better. I bet you forgot all of that huh?
Dude was ripped!
I have a question.

What the heck has Belichick ever done as a coach? What makes him so "great"?
Brady was a 6th round afterthought. He had nothing to do with it. His record before that was POOR. What the HELL has this man done to deserve a "genius" label?
I can name a DOZEN things off the top of my head that Walsh did to earn a "genius" title. I can't name ONE -- SINGLE -- THING that Belichick has done.

Which offensive player(s) did Belichick scout? Anybody?
Which quarterbacks did Belichick ever mentor? Anyone?
Which defensive players did he STEAL in the draft? Who???

WHAT has he actually DONE???

NO!!! Coaches do not win Super Bowls. Coaches do one or more of the following: Scout players, draft players, organize, develop coaches, develop players, gameplan, create strategies, create schemes, create plays.
Walsh did ALL OF THOSE THINGS at a GENIUS level of ability. How many of those things has Belickick ever done at a genius level of ability???

Belichick is a slightly above average coach who rides one of the best quarterbacks to ever play (who developed HIMSELF) into the record books. He is nothing special at all. Walsh can barely be compared to ANYONE. Comparing him to Belichick is laughable.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM ]

Chuck Knoll has 4 rings I believe?
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
To be the greatest coach you have to be a great innovator and a winner. Paul Brown was in 6 straight NFL Championships from 1950-55. He computerized the game before there was a computer. Vince Lombardi was a great coach, his record of 5 Championships speaks for itself. Coach Bill Walsh is in the category of the other two. His cerebral approach is still studied in today's game. There are others but these 3 standout for their eras.

Totally agree... there wouldn't be football as we know it today without Paul Brown (and probably no Walsh as we now know him)
I say Paul Brown is the greatest coach ever for a different reason -- The San Francisco 49ers! Huh? He is the reason the 49ers are part of the NFL, without Brown, the 49ers probably would have disappeared 50 years ago.

The All-America Football Conference was formed in 1946 as a direct competitor of the NFL. The Cleveland Browns dominated the league, winning the championship all four years of the League's existence, which weakened fan support of other franchises. In 1949, the AAFC negotiated a merger with the NFL. It was agreed that three team would become part of the NFL, the remaining AFCC teams would fold up operations.

Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts, and San Francisco 49ers joined the merged league in 1950, renamed the National -- American Football League. (In 1951 the name reverted back to the NFL.)

If the AAFC had not been dominated by Paul Brown's Cleveland franchise the league may have limped along for a few more years before dying. It would have been another long gone professional league like the World-Football League or United States Football League, just a memory.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
Chuck Knoll has 4 rings I believe?

I was waiting for this to be mentioned ...
yes
Share 49ersWebzone